Notices

I Went 14 months Clean until 3 months Ago! Beating myself up!

Old 07-02-2015, 11:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I Went 14 months Clean until 3 months Ago! Beating myself up!

Hello all,

I screwed up! Sucks!

So a little about my addiction. It really took off in 2008 when my daughter at 3 was diagnosed with leukemia. I was scheduled for a minor shoulder surgey a month after that. But obviously it was postponed. One thing led to another, I went from prescription IB 800....Tramadol....to finally perks. I was one to never take anything.

Jumping ahead....I was actually on perks for 5 years....It was good for a while until things started going down hill. Scripts running short, buying off street etc. Until one day I said enough is enough!
I walked into my doctors office 17 months ago and said I'm done with pain pills. I went through a pretty bad withdrawal then seeing I was also using benzos etc. I actually made it a point to go as far as being on the "Vivitrol Shot"

Jumping ahead....I did 12 months of Vivitrol. It really worked for me....well it worked until 2 months after being off it. Back in February of this year we had crazy snow falls here in New England. Between snow removal at work and home. I was hurting. (But looking back I'm thinking it was an excuse) Anyways, some perks were around and that's where the mistake was made. I do a few its no big deal....Well it was a big deal, because here I am 4 days clean. Feeling very down on myself. I have no motivation. W/D symptoms are mild compared to what they were 17 months ago.

I'm actually scheduled to go back on the Vivitrol shot next Thursday. I'm just so disappointed with myself. I feel like getting a few perks for the holiday 4th just to boos my moral. But then I think of the damn rat race. The crazy money spent over the past few months etc. I try to justify and say hey its only been a few months not years like before. But I just can't get over the feelings I have. Why can't life feel like it does when taking perks. Idk.

Well that's it in a nutshell. Trying to do the right thing again. I just want to feel good. Feel happy. Will I bounce back quicker after only using a few months?

Thanks for listening!!
Old 07-02-2015, 12:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Helicity View Post
Why can't life feel like it does when taking perks. Idk.
Well, I used alcohol, but I think the reasoning is the same. Life is life and it's not always wonderful. Sometimes things are very good, sometimes things are great. But, then there are times when things are just difficult and hard and we have to find healthy ways to cope during those times.

Use your annoyance with yourself as a stepping stone to move forward and come up with some healthy ways to deal with life's problems.
Old 07-02-2015, 01:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank u for the response...

I know I need to make some changes. And I'm hoping....{scratch that} I know it started 4 days ago ;-)
Old 07-02-2015, 01:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome & nice to meet you HC
Old 07-02-2015, 03:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome helicity
I think you've beaten yourself up enough

I'd start making a recovery plan - you won't be on vivitrol forever....

I had to build a life I had no need to escape from. I put in a lot of work, and faced a lot of fears and long buried stuff, but I changed from being a 30 year drunk and pot head - you can change too

Welcome aboard

D
Old 07-02-2015, 03:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

We exist in a society that encourages guilt. A modicum of discomfort should be felt and, indeed, can propel you down a different path. Much past that point, guilt is useless at best and counterproductive at worst. Meaning, after a certain point, guilt will just fuel your desire to use. I know all of this sounds well and good. There is a massive difference between feelings and logic ("I can see guilt is useless, but I still feel it" etc.). Whenever you feel that pang, make a conscious point to pat yourself on the back for OVER A YEAR sober and for seeking out help on this forum. Perhaps you will enjoy some balance doing that. Everyone here knows these feelings, so you are smart to inquire here.
Old 07-03-2015, 10:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Helicity!!
Old 07-03-2015, 04:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR mandrake

D