SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Happy 6 month sober! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/370817-happy-6-month-sober.html)

2ndhandrose 07-01-2015 11:14 AM

Happy 6 month sober!

Today is my 6 month sober day!!! I am so happy to finally be able to say this, I have been counting down the days!

I had my first drink (and drunk) when I was 14 years old, went into recovery for 6 years in my late 20's to early 30's and then relapsed for around 22 years.

I had always meant to get back to sober living but you know how that goes. I never made a plan, my husband is an active alcoholic, life just drifted by. Rationalizations, denial and plenty of vodka kept me fooled.

Then this past fall I had a health scare (liver values tested out of range). I was told to quit drinking and return in 3 months for retesting. I was angry. Angry that this foreseeable event was happening, angry that I wasn't making my own choice to quit drinking, angry that I would not have the opportunity to drink normally (right, as if :lmao)

I did not go away and quit drinking. The only change I made was to limit the number of nights I drank while I thought about what this meant. I couldn't see my way out of this without quitting booze. How mad and humiliated would I be if I were to die of something alcohol related when all I had to do to avoid that would be to NOT drink?!

After much soul searching I made a decision (it now felt like MY decision) to quit drinking on December 31, 2014.

On that night I drank at home with my husband. He went to bed around 10 PM and I continued on to see in the new year and because this was it, the end of drinking. When I was ready to call it over I still had half a bottle of vodka left. What to do with it?? I debated keeping it but I knew it would be waaayyy to tempting. I tipped it over and began pouring it out and as I watched it go down the drain I knew that this was real and it was happening and I was going to quit drinking. It was an oddly solid and real life moment, despite being drunk. I feel proud of myself when I think about it. In a way, it was like a funeral for my alcoholic self. Goodbye and good riddance.

It hasn't all been a walk in the park since then. But good days or bad, I am completely committed to sober living. Alcohol wasn't just hurting my body, it was killing my spirit. I am taking my life back.

Finding SR has been such a blessing for me. I have learned so much here. Running the tape through to the end is a big one. Very sobering. I have gained some insight into my previous relapse. I see now that my AV had been grooming me for sometime prior. It didn't just happen "out of the blue, with no warning". And I am learning to recognize my AV. I have a long way to go but now I have hope and a belief that I will continue finding my way.

Thank you all for the support I see here on a daily basis, given to everyone. :thanks

We are all in this together :grouphug:

ScottFromWI 07-01-2015 11:17 AM

Congrats on 6 months, that's a fantastic achievement 2ndhandrose! Sounds like you have some good plans in place to keep the AV at bay, don't forget SR is always here if you need extra support.

Soberwolf 07-01-2015 11:22 AM

6 months is fantastic Rose congrats

JoeinHouston 07-01-2015 11:34 AM

Congrats, great achievement and enjoyed reading about how you got to where you are now.

AliveSoul 07-01-2015 11:35 AM

Congrats on 6 months you are doing really well!!

DuhDave 07-01-2015 12:11 PM

Congradulations Rose !

6 months is truely AWESOME !

...and so are you !

DD

firstymer 07-01-2015 12:13 PM

Congratulations, 2ndhandrose! :nyz

PurpleKnight 07-01-2015 12:17 PM

6 Months is fantastic Rose!! :You_Rock_

least 07-01-2015 12:18 PM

Congrats on six months sober! :scoregood

biminiblue 07-01-2015 12:21 PM

Well done! Thanks for your post. Six months is a big one.

Foolsgold186 07-01-2015 12:21 PM

Yay on 6 months!! Brilliant.

alphaomega 07-01-2015 12:47 PM

Six months for me too today ! Heartfelt congrats.

pumpkinny 07-01-2015 01:28 PM

Congrats!!!

2ndhandrose 07-01-2015 03:03 PM

Thank you for your congrats, everyone!

Lots of festivities all over the city, celebrating Canada Day!

Its a great day to be sober :dance1a:

Calitano 07-01-2015 03:32 PM

Happy Canada Day 2ndhandrose. And congratulations on 6 months .

Hevyn 07-01-2015 03:32 PM

6 months - so wonderful! Enjoy Canada Day.

Fly N Buy 07-01-2015 03:40 PM

6 months is huge~! It was at that point my brain fog lifted and I recognized that sobriety was indeed possible.

Inspirational thread - Thanks and congratulations!

tnjeeper 07-01-2015 03:42 PM

Congrats on 6 months. Way to go

Kaneda8888 07-01-2015 03:45 PM

Really solid achievement ! Well done and keep moving forward !