Notices

Benefits

Old 07-01-2015, 06:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Benefits

Today I am going to try to focus on the positive. Can any of you tell me your experiences of the good things that has happened in your life since becoming sober? Also physical things like weight loss?
Old 07-01-2015, 07:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Six months and change since the last relapse. I'm in the gym/biking frequently (60-80 miles/week), I've quit smoking, I'm in shape like I was right before I left for the Navy. My diet is better, I'm putting on muscle mass while losing body fat, and my energy level is through the roof.

I remember things. Like, when I watched the Indy 500, I can recall more than the winner. When I listen or watch baseball, I'm following the game rather than it being a backdrop to consumption. My long term memory is as sharp as ever.

I have real conversation about real topics. I have well thought out opinions, and am willing to hear the opinions of others. I talk WITH people, not AT them.

My emotions are evened out. My depression, which drinking exacerbated, is under control and manageable. Life is in a rebuilding phase, but I can see my growth and change, and have an optimism not present when wet or simply abstaining.

I actually do things, instead of just talking about doing things while knocking back another. This summer, I've been to half a dozen Rockies baseball games, helped out with the Rescue Mission'a food/cash drive, been whitewater rafting, and have plans for camping and concerts as well as more baseball. It's July 1, so I've done plenty, with lots of summer to go.

I have healthy relationships. I have real friends instead of drinking buddies. I get to talk with my family about THEIR lives, instead of them constantly worrying about me. The wimmin-folk look finer, and I don't make a jackwagon of myself to them, giving me hope that I may not have to resort to Mister Rogers sweaters and cats for companionship as I get older.

I'm prepping to go back to school and finish my degree, study abroad, and look toward post-bachelors education, rather than simply wishing I'd finished a decade ago.

I now live in empowerment rather than self-pity. I understand that, by and large, I'm a volunteer rather than a victim.

I have a loving, developing relationship with my God, and a sense of purpose toward serving others. I actively seek a spiritual life and opportunities to serve, rather than waiting on Santa Claus or the Recovery Fairy to sprinkle me with Sober Dust and life to be what I wish it.

I live, rather than simply existing.

"Always Believe!" -The Ultimate Warrior
Old 07-01-2015, 07:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Austin4, reading this actually made me cry. Some of the things you mentioned I am dealing with. Depressed, emotions all over the place, and have horrible memory problems. Needless to say I never had any good drunk conversations either.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I would say that pretty much everything in my life that has changed as a result of sobriety is positive, there are no negatives. Some big ones

1. Physical health - my Blood Presure, weight, cholesterol, blood sugar and general overall health have vastly improved since I quit drinking. Grandted I also had a poor appetite and got poor sleep due to drinking every day, so that could be part - but as a whole my physical well being is very much improved.

2. Mental Health - my daily drinking was to the point that I dealt with extreme anxiety, witdhrawals and panic attacks almost daily. It has taken quite a long time and therapy was also needed, but overall my mental health is also vastly improved.

3. Family life: I am much more attentive to the needs of my family and I participate in their daily live much more than I ever did when drinking. My default response to stress or other family problems was to hide and drink, which of course caused even more problems.

4. Work: I am much more productive and approachable than I used to be. Many mornings I simply hid behind a screen hung over/withdrawing until around lunchtime and got not much of anything done.

These are just a few of the big ones, but really there is not a single thing I can think of that didn't get better after I quit.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Still quite early days for me, but already lots of positives......
Better skin (less dry and patchy), I'm getting used to the whites of my eyes being totally clear, it's a nice look. Overall my face looks a little younger.
I actually work at work and I'm not so resentful and desperate to drink when I get busy. I make some sense in meetings and I'm less angry with those around me (I say less, as this still comes up but not as much).
When my daughter wants a lift I can do it instead of making excuses (cos I'm over the limit).
I can see more about my partners life and pressures and take more of a supportive interest (this is not perfect, just improving)
I sleep much better and wake up even better than that.
I really am proud of being sober, after 30 years of seeking the answers to it all in getting numbed as a minimum and wasted as an increasing norm....... I'm trying this way and it's good.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

For me, it was SO much more than stopping drinking. I turned my life around and began to be the person I wanted to be.

The most important thing to me has been my relationship with my husband and my children. There was a time when my daughter was so angry with me that she wouldn't speak to me. When her first child was born, I was the one she chose to look after him the first time she had to leave him. That was magical to me.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:48 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The title of a Funkadelic album" Free your mind and your "butt" will follow" pretty much sums it up for me. I feel good everyday knowing that I'm actually capable of improving my life now. I love being free from the monster's grasp.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Re-Member

On day 55 here. I'm not doing an actual exercise program or even watching my diet too closely, but I have most definitely lost weight. In fact, two friends from my old job came in last night. I have not seen either one in almost two months and the first thing they said was, "Wow, you've lost weight. Are you working out?" Made me feel good.

I haven't weighed myself but I'm guessing I've lost somewhere between 12-15 pounds without even trying. I wasn't really overweight to begin with and am probably at close to my ideal weight now.

My skin is clearer. My eyes look healthier. My hair is definitely healthier. My hands don't have a slight tremor all the time. I'm sure my liver is in better shape though I'm too chicken to go to the doctor and see. I sleep a million times better.

Sobriety is amazingly good for me in so many ways.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My favorite positive is waking up feeling good. I used to wake up hating myself and sick as a dog, now I wake up feeling good and ready for whatever the day brings.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Weight loss
healthier diet
Saved lots of money!!
accepting myself more
more calmness and peace of mind
anger has subsided
real connections with people
I've learned to set boundaries
so much more energy
skin feels clearer
Less bladder and kidney infections
Old 07-01-2015, 11:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

In a few days I'll have 10 months, and I've experienced a lot of positives, such as:

- improved relationship with husband -- he says he is "profoundly grateful" for the changes I'm making, and feels like I'm actually "present" for the first time in several years. We were probably headed for divorce, and now we're closer than ever.

- health -- I sleep better and feel better physically. I'm getting exercise and good nutrition. I had hoped I would lose weight right away and I did not, mainly because I ate a lot of chocolate in the beginning. I don't really recommend that, although in a way I guess it "worked", as I did not relapse. Now that my sobriety feels more stable, I'm working off the weight with exercise, and able to stay away from candy.

- better relationship with my work. I was a workaholic along with being an alcoholic (work all day + overtime, then drink all evening). I've renegotiated my job so that I don't work overtime, and have enough time to rest and take care of myself.

- better mood! Much less depression. I'm starting to get clarity on daily thinking habits and behavior habits, and I'm able to choose habits that support me feeling better.

I'm so grateful that I was able to get sober and I can't recommend it enough! It gets easier all the time, although of course I can't get complacent about it ... I definitely have to pay attention to my recovery every single day. But the positives increase all the time, and the things that seemed difficult at first get easier.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I have learned to accept the faults of others
Old 07-01-2015, 12:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

These are all great!! Things I hopefully have to come! Keep them coming!
Old 07-01-2015, 12:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

This morning I woke up without a hangover, a bit earlier at 4am I didn't wake up with a panic attack thinking was I still drunk and how much water can I chug before I have to get up for work, and then in the bathroom I wasn't sick in the shower and frantically trying to make myself presentable.

As I drove to work, no more anxious thoughts of being pulled over and still being over the limit, instead having plenty of time having got up earlier and feeling well rested I had some me time before work, a coffee and a newspaper to start my day, and then at work I was more productive than I was when I drank, no more hiding away, only wanting to do the minimum, no more simply coasting on auto pilot.

When I arrived home from work, I went out for a long walk in the nearby park, and since quitting alcohol I definitely feel more healthy, I've lost a few pounds and am now within a healthy weight bracket, through eating better and more exercise my overall physical health has improved.

This evening without drinking I now have more free time on my hands, it used to be something I feared, but have discovered so many things I want to do, new activities, books I never got around to, new hobbies, that I never had time to do through drinking and hangovers, but the world is now full of opportunity, mentally and emotionally I am now in a better place, happier with myself, happier with my life, I can build a life to be proud of, something alcohol many times would promise but I now know could never deliver!!

Good things? I guess there's a few!!
Old 07-01-2015, 12:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
zjw

I'm no longer a slave / prisoner to the bottle or the cigarettes.

I no longer have panic attacks all the time etc..

I went from 275lbs to 140lbs now i'm floating around 160lbs and I run 70 miles a week or so.

I feel great physically.

I'm able to fit into sizes i'd prefer to wear.

I dont struggle to do simple physical tasks.

I dont wake up feeling like death each morning.

I dont pass out drunk each night only to wake up with the jitters.

I eat really healthy and I like it and enjoy it.

I find it easier to make good choices i'm not as impulsive.

the list could go on really but i'll stop there for now.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zjw View Post
I'm no longer a slave / prisoner to the bottle or the cigarettes.

I no longer have panic attacks all the time etc..

I went from 275lbs to 140lbs now i'm floating around 160lbs and I run 70 miles a week or so.

I feel great physically.

I'm able to fit into sizes i'd prefer to wear.

I dont struggle to do simple physical tasks.

I dont wake up feeling like death each morning.

I dont pass out drunk each night only to wake up with the jitters.

I eat really healthy and I like it and enjoy it.

I find it easier to make good choices i'm not as impulsive.

the list could go on really but i'll stop there for now.
I'd like to second being a lot less impulsive.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I no longer regret the past.
I no longer feel hopeless,helpless,useless, a d worthless.
I can look at myself in the mirror and love who I am.
I can look the world in the eye.
The greatest is the problem with alcohol has been removed. It no longer exists, which I have conditions to keep it that way.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

I sometimes say sobriety is an upgrade because the amount of good things it brings ppl as evidenced in all the above posts

Being sober saves my life daily
Old 07-01-2015, 12:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Being sober saves my life daily
Such a good one. My father drank himself to diabetes. He has now lost both of his legs. He killed his pancreas. I was following him. My body was swelling, my sugar levels were starting to be unmanageable, and I had constant pain in my liver and pancreas. For me it is a matter of health.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Do your best

Sorry about your dad SweetBaby know by staying sober health really does improve

(((Sweetbaby)))