Notices

Holiday Edition Stay sober Weekender July 4th

Old 07-01-2015, 09:21 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Feeling the effects of the heat in the UK and may have slight sunstroke after stupidly walking for 30 minutes this morning in the sun. Good start to sober July. Feeling sick and the last thing I want to do is drink. Hope everyone is doing ok😈😈🔥
Old 07-01-2015, 09:27 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Nice little sober edish for the holidays!

NICE!!!!!!

I'm in! Got Friday off. Some firework action Thursday night in my town.

Boy, do I have a bad drunken 4th fireworks display story. Whenever I feel like drinking I recall that time. Stops me every time.
Old 07-01-2015, 09:32 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Welp, LBrain ~

Punctuation and context matter...

'All I know is that I always wanted to have sex with a nurse. One more thing I'll be scratching off my bucket list.

you have no idea what a load off my mind this is
...'

Congrats to Senora B! In non-Nursing News, it be hot here in W. CO.. A U.K. Transplant/Gal Pal has offered her neato Rural Backyard as our new local Dog Park. So, we're gonna head down there late this afternoon where there's Shade Trees; Grass; and a Kiddie Pool for the Pooches. A Waitress Gal Pal and her Bartending Hub will join us. Their Pooch is our Pooch's fav Play Buddy. They recognize each other's name, and get all amped up come time to go play. See below.

Putzing around the Ranchette today, and sticking near the free Swamp Cooler - snagged Curb-side - I slammed in temporarily. Works pretty well in this Super-Insulated Joint. The dreaded Colorado Thistle Plant has sprung up around us; due to a very wet Spring. Da Wife is trying the trick found on line of pouring boiling Water on them. Beats Bee-killing 'Roundup' Herbicide w/Glyphosate.

We plan to head down to local Small Town America for the July 4th Parade this Weekend. A few years ago, the 3rd Koch Brother - the one you don't hear much about - rolled out his privately-owned Tank for the Parade. He's even retrofitted it with Rubber Tread so as to not scar Streets. In a rather-comical, pseudo reenactment of Tiananmen Square, a local flamboyant Hairdresser stood in front of this Tank, and held up a Protest Sign. Assorted Rednecks Street-side yelled 'Run him over'! We have some interesting Political polarities 'round here...

From up here on our Mesa, we can see 4 or more Towns blow off Fireworks in the distance. Of the ~$600- of Fireworks bought years ago up in 'Anything Goes' Wyoming, we still have most of them. Drought has made it unsafe to set off some of these Pro-sized Monster Mortars. No biggie. It's not like Black Powder 'goes bad' or sumptin'...

I think the last Line in this short Clip pretty well sums up July 4th in 'Murica. Hysterical!

- 'Apu Sells Homer Simpson Illegal Fireworks' -

Old 07-01-2015, 09:40 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome Keepingitintheday/Arbor8. Hopefully your feeling better by now KIITD

Congratulations LBrain - first 18 months and now this, wonderful news.

Way to go Della, the full primary shotgun this time
Old 07-01-2015, 09:44 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope everyone has a great holiday weekend.

Happy 4th of July to all my wonderful American friends.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:22 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Hey all,

Wow this special edition holiday independence day BBQ fireworks more BBQ thread is just hopping!!!!!

Well done on shotgun Della.

Big congrats to Mrs. LBrain on passing her nursing her exams. Maybe she can recommend a remedy for those cheesy jokes!!!

Well done on 22 days LA and Casey on 55 days - fair play to you both.

A big welcome to all recent passengers.

Nearly home time for me. Working much longer days now, but can take every Monday off instead. Means I can be around more for Mrs B when junior B arrives.

MesaMan, love that Simpsons clip, my primary source of knowledge for American culture!

Catch ye later Independent dudes and dudettes!

B
Old 07-01-2015, 10:22 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Congrats to LBrain and Mrs. LBrain!

Happy early 4th, all!

I scored a Norton Reader and a Longman Writer today for $1 each at the thrift store. Yay! And a couple more books to scratch off my master reading list.

Driving away from the thrift store, I had the urge to drive to the half price bookstore ... I waged a little battle and won. I didn't go, lol. Last time I went, I walked out with $100 worth. Yikes.

And then ... an urge from outta nowhere. And it was a tough one for a minute or so. Not that I would act on it, cause I won't. But wow, was it a vivid picture in my mind. I've been reading about habits, their formation, and the way we can manipulate them. Well, I immediately recognize one of my "cues" as well as the old "routine" which was drinking, and the "reward" ... which was obviously the buzz. So the trick, apparently, is that old habits don't extinguish, however, we can change them. So, the cue: college days, reading books, bookstores, discussing books with friends ... over the "glass of wine" that turned into a bottle or two. That was my super strong cue today while I was driving away from the thrift store. Nowadays, I can substitute the "routine" of drinking with many other things. And one of those is mindfulness. Since Weasel mentions the bell of mindfulness in these threads, I will comment that learning how to be mindful (and not afraid or, or not blind to) of urges and seeing them for what they are, a passing thought, has been one of the most important tools I've learned to use. Many call it urge surfing. Recognition of those thoughts as nothing more than thoughts, old habits, urges ... whatever you call it ... is a key. We don't have to act on it

These days I can still read my books, drink my tea, write, and talk about books without drinking. In fact, drinking dulls my brain so that I can't make sense of the reading anymore. So that is definitely something I don't want to do. I don't want my reading, retaining of information, or writing mucked up by the alcohol.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:40 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

good stuff sober-P

congrats on 3 weeks learning... btw, I've been searching on line for nurse "uniforms". Many I like...
Old 07-01-2015, 10:49 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Thanks BIM... I agree. The way Mex wrote the Ring Ring... I always feel calmer after reading it.

Welcome KIITDay!

Congrats Casey of 55!!!

LA.. Congrats on 22!!!

So good to see everyone... To many now by name but I see you!

LB!!!! Woo how to Mrs LB!!! She must have one funny funny bone.

Back from the movie.... Official review to follow shortly. I think you will find it interesting.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:53 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberpotamus View Post
And then ... an urge from outta nowhere. And it was a tough one for a minute or so. Not that I would act on it, cause I won't. But wow, was it a vivid picture in my mind. I've been reading about habits, their formation, and the way we can manipulate them. Well, I immediately recognize one of my "cues" as well as the old "routine" which was drinking, and the "reward" ... which was obviously the buzz. So the trick, apparently, is that old habits don't extinguish, however, we can change them. So, the cue: college days, reading books, bookstores, discussing books with friends ... over the "glass of wine" that turned into a bottle or two. That was my super strong cue today while I was driving away from the thrift store. Nowadays, I can substitute the "routine" of drinking with many other things. And one of those is mindfulness. Since Weasel mentions the bell of mindfulness in these threads, I will comment that learning how to be mindful (and not afraid or, or not blind to) of urges and seeing them for what they are, a passing thought, has been one of the most important tools I've learned to use. Many call it urge surfing. Recognition of those thoughts as nothing more than thoughts, old habits, urges ... whatever you call it ... is a key. We don't have to act on it

BRAVO!!!!!!

Old 07-01-2015, 11:05 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

LB I'm always trying to convince my bf to dress up like a pony so I can chase him around the house trying to tame him but he won't go for it. Your wife sounds a lot cooler than my bf
Old 07-01-2015, 11:20 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Sorry but many drinking references.... Please skip if needed.

Official review of the movie "I'll see you in my dreams" by Weasel

We open to a beautiful Blythe Danner alone in her home. Steeped in the routines of someone who has grown quite used to living alone. To express the aloneness she drinks a glass of wine.

Her trusted dog by her side until she has to put him down. To comfort herself she has a glass of wine.

She meets a new pool boy half her age. An unassuming and rather boring young man. They seem to click and to better get to know each other they share what starts as a glass of wine into obviously placed bottles of wine. Even go so far as agreeing they are good drinking buddies. And how honestly grateful they are for each other's astute companionship.

Scenes fade in and out as to accentuate the return to routine. Empty wine bottle on the counter in the morning. Turned over wine glasses next to the sink drying when she arrives back home.

We get introduced to her friends. Friends that bond over beer and more wine.

She goes out on a date with the pool boy and they share more drinks. Drinks later used in the summary plot to reminisce of their moment... Drinking.

She meets the dashing, yet chinless Sam Elliot. Charm in full force over wine on his romantically lite boat.

For some unexplained, yet shocking reasons untold to the audience poor Sam dies. Only to leave her drinking away the sorrow with a glass of wine.

Comforted by her detached daughter they take a quick trip down memory lane of the dead husband as they share a glass of wine.

In the end she picks out a mutt from the pound. Having lost a new friend in Sam. Having said thanks for the friendship from the pool boy and sent him along. She again sit quietly with the costar.

The only consistent friend she had was that very good bottle of wine as she refers to it.

I have never seen alcohol used as the best supporting actor quite like this movie. Not recommended.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:26 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Naughty Brain.

I'm sitting in my car to get warm. The air conditioning is still on and it isn't needed. My hands were going numb. I wasn't the only one. It's July 1, it's noon and it's still only 68 degrees today. Not beach weather.

SoberP, good work getting through that urge. I couldn't read for a very long time after getting sober because it was so very closely tied to drinking a bottle or two of wine. I've gradually gotten back to it but not anywhere like I used to. Have cooking magazines I haven't read. Sometimes I forget to take the paper in. Sad, really.

Alright, time to go back in. Maybe I'll wear my coat. My hands have finally thawed.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:26 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Do your best

Riding roof Wolf is in
Old 07-01-2015, 11:36 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Weasel, I won't be running out the door to see that one. Sounds grim. Only "a" glass to drown her sorrows and celebrate and remember/reminisce? Who is their target audience? The mommies that post Facebook pictures of "mommies sippy cup" filled with the adult beverage of choice?
Old 07-01-2015, 11:38 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hot hot hot. I don't have to wear a suit most days, today -36C -and I was obliged to, ergh!

Gave me an excuse to go home at 4:30 though

Sitting outside a cafe drinking iced tea and eating a prawn salad.

My flat is not air conditioned so it is going to be hard to sleep but the women's World Cup semi final kicks of at midnight so i'll watch that (we'll done USA you made the final)

The Isleys
Old 07-01-2015, 11:40 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hope the weather improves for you Ruby
Old 07-01-2015, 11:50 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Oh, by the way England has the sexiest nurses - here's the proof
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20150701_194621.jpg (42.1 KB, 48 views)
Old 07-01-2015, 11:58 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Ha ha! Oh matron!!!
Old 07-01-2015, 12:02 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Nice nurse there, Sao!

The good thing about the cool weather is that it is good sleeping weather. No complaints. Just odd. Since I don't have a beach trip planned, we're good.