Notices

Holiday Edition Stay sober Weekender July 4th

Old 07-06-2015, 02:45 PM
  # 461 (permalink)  

I went to Texas for work in Aug it was like what I imagine Hades to be. But hotter.
Old 07-06-2015, 03:14 PM
  # 462 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I'm always truly amazed at the number of brits who complain about the heat. I mean in the first place it's not THAT hot and secondly it's winter here for 9 months a year so it's not like endless baking heat. Today's temp was 22 or 73F, hardly Death Valley
Old 07-06-2015, 03:20 PM
  # 463 (permalink)  

Those crazy Brits complain about everything
Old 07-06-2015, 03:24 PM
  # 464 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Della1968 View Post
Those crazy Brits complain about everything
Agreed! Whenever people here in the States ask why I am so upset I respond "I am not upset, I am moaning - it's what we do!"
Old 07-06-2015, 04:26 PM
  # 465 (permalink)  

My husband found my motorcycle key! YAY!
It definitely a good thing I had lost it when I did. Probably would not be here given how I used to live. YAY!
Old 07-06-2015, 04:52 PM
  # 466 (permalink)  

I'm home from work. A good day to play the license plate game - identify as many out of state plates as you can. I heard chicago was the number one destination, nationwide, for the 4th. Arkansas, Alabama, Georgia, Massachusetts, New York, New Jersey, Ohio, Iowa, Nebraska, Michigan, Wisconsin, Virginia, California, Colorado.

My daughter, who has issues with sharing her stuff, apparently considers my Fizz Freeze to be hers. My one treat at the end of the day besides ice cream. Time to go play with son on some video game.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:22 PM
  # 467 (permalink)  
saoutchik

There ain't many people viewing the thread by now. Shame
Old 07-06-2015, 06:49 PM
  # 468 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I know all the words, Saou.

That's my band.

Old 07-06-2015, 07:27 PM
  # 469 (permalink)  

mmm Yes. I like Yes.

Today was a pretty magical day. I was at the beach and feeling at one with the planet. I haven't caused anyone (including myself) any grief for a very long time. I was just feeling grateful, you know? Sort of prayerful and in awe of how beautiful everything is.

In the next hour and a half, I saw the Osprey hunt and catch five fish. After years of going to the same beach, I've got the spot figured out to watch this drama. First s/he does this chirp thing - five loud chirps in a row. That is my signal s/he is coming over my head from the ridge to the water. I watch. The first one, I was standing in the water about thigh-deep and the Osprey was so close, I could hear the splash as he hit the water - maybe 50 feet away. Then he circled up, coming right at me not ten feet over my head, as he shook the water off his feathers - gripping the fish. Did a full circle right over me, and up to the nest. The next four were about every fifteen minutes, chirp chirp, over my head, no hesitation - 30 seconds of the hunt, right into the water, bam, out, shake, fly overhead to the nest. The fish were probably 6-9 inches long - some kind of bottom fish. It was weird, because I purposely left my binoculars behind so I would have room to take food in my backpack. I didn't even need the binoculars, the bird/s were so close.

LB could take a fishing lesson.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:38 PM
  # 470 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

One word, bimini: Excellent.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:40 PM
  # 471 (permalink)  

I'm watching the thread Saoutchik. You sound a bit forlorn.

I'm relaxing. Finally. I made tuna macaroni salad. All these hot weather dishes and the temperature, hopefully, is, dropping to 70 tomorrow and 68 on Wednesday. Fighting with husband over which channel to watch on tv. We disagree.

We went for a walk around the block and the little black cat followed us the entire way. She skulked behind bushes along the foundations and crossed over people's porches to stay behind the bushes. It was pretty cute. At our house she flopped down on the porch as if to claim ownership.

Kids camp out in the basement when my mother in law is here so they aren't underfoot. But neither are they in bed, sleeping.

Hoping tomorrow is more low key at work. We'll see.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:50 PM
  # 472 (permalink)  

Cool bimini
Old 07-06-2015, 07:58 PM
  # 473 (permalink)  

I like your welcome post Ken. My personal Independence Day was October 14 2012. I could smell booze this holiday and I thought it stunk. My mind did not connect the drunk feeling with the scent. I did not feel like I was missing out . I did not think about being an alcoholic. Very very independent. Maybe I am healing from the trauma I put myself through. Stop living in my past. Who knows. I guess the best word for me was I felt "normal"
Old 07-06-2015, 08:34 PM
  # 474 (permalink)  

welcome to the weekender escapist. or the weekendextender

hey y'all weekend folks, I'll be out of touch for a week... picked up a new surf rod today, have braided line on it - so I have to learn knot tying all over again.
Braid is a beech then tying on fluorocarbon... knot tying 101... learned a "new" knot called the FG. I don't know what FG stands for but I'm thinking along the lines of John Travolta in pulp fiction discussing a milkshake.

I don't know if I'll ever learn the Bimini Twist though. The heron story reminds me of the time I was near Yellowstone and a bald eagle took a trout from the water right close to me. Then circled overhead dripping water.

Sleepy time.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:38 PM
  # 475 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Just a quick check-in to say I made it thru another weekend sober. I pulled up the calendar just now and that's nine weekends in a row. Ending day 60 now. I always have the best of intentions of staying caught up and getting involved in the conversations in this thread but it just moves SOOOO fast and I still like to read and comment on all the other new threads on this Newcomers forum in particular so it seems like I always giving the weekender thread the short end of the stick. But anyways, it's nice knowing you guys are here whether I'm active or not. Thanks to each and everyone of you for helping to keep me sober one more weekend!
Old 07-06-2015, 11:55 PM
  # 476 (permalink)  
saoutchik

FG knot - friction grip?

Back to work today Hi Ho
Old 07-07-2015, 01:33 AM
  # 477 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

BiM.... Super nice story to wake to. Thanks for sharing. I felt like I was there.

Congrats Casey!!!!!

Escapist! My darling! Good to see you!

I a, up super early. My diet is back in full swing and off to the gym. Therapy tonight. Then I have a cool week this week. Doing things and meeting folks I would normally never. So it makes me smile.

See everyone Thursday!
Old 07-07-2015, 01:41 AM
  # 478 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey all ,
getting the internet delivered today between 1 and 6 pm … and i thought it was meant to be super fast ? LoL

Sao , anything over 20c here seems to get people worried if you drive through blackpool it seems all the scottish people on holiday take their tops off at 20c and go a shade of violent lobster !
One guy of 7 lads was throwing up and getting cheers from his mates and this was at 1 pm .. our bodies say no but our heads keep on driving us as they all wandered off to the next bar ..

m
Old 07-07-2015, 03:53 AM
  # 479 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Sadly I have been drunk in Blackpool myself - it was a long time ago (mid 1980s) I do remember there being quite a few Scottish people there

Ha Ruby, my earlier post did sound folorn - i forget sometimes that the early hours here in UK does not mean early hours everywhere else (plus knowing I had to go back to work in the morning didn't help)

Trachemys - knowing the words to a YES song is one thing, I cannot for the life of me understand what they are going on about

Talking of back to work - two days off and my boss is using my office as extra storage space. I'm now sharing it with 1000 blank corex boards, very professional. On the plus side I landed a nice fat order from Sweden while I was away- they are digging a rail tunnel there, The Stockholm City Line. Stockhollm is built on granite and basalt so it is very hard digging (I am going to Stockholm later this year) perhaps I should take more time off

Merde il pleut!
Old 07-07-2015, 04:45 AM
  # 480 (permalink)  

It's hard to remember that we're on different time zones sometimes. It's comforting that someone is always about.

Sao, Stockholm would be interesting. Maybe some day I'll get to Sweden. It will keep you busy. Nothing like being stuck in a storage cupboard though. Perhaps your boss was preoccupied.

Casey, way to go on 60 days. That's great. I have to say I give the other threads short shrift over the weekend. It's good of your to give support where it's needed.

Bimini, thank you for sharing your experience. That sounded magical.

Day two of the work week. I'm hoping that it's a smoother ride than yesterday. It was rather tense at times. Not for me but it just feels yucky to be around. Kids aren't going to want to go to camp today. Cold and rainy. At least the house, which felt miserably hot last night, feels deliciously warm today.