Notices

Holiday Edition Stay sober Weekender July 4th

Old 07-06-2015, 05:43 AM
  # 441 (permalink)  

Sao, I'm glad your sister is OK. That's scary.

Angie, congrats on 70 days! That's awesome.

Safe journey, HaF. There is no place like home.

I'm stalling on getting ready for return to work but must go now. See y'all later. 500 today?
Old 07-06-2015, 06:18 AM
  # 442 (permalink)  

Sweet Silence

Hi all - I had a lovely sober weekend too, filled with family - food - and a beautiful lake setting. This time I was not drunk and it was amazing to really be present. Today I am home with just my little dog. No plans other then to sit with myself, do some reading and know there is nothing in a drink except a very sad death. Losing my license and my job actually has been a godsend - I've had to go IN and am so grateful to those I love and this site for the support.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:21 AM
  # 443 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Thanks HaF/Ruby. Fortunately she was already out of danger by the time I heard she was ill so I didn't have to go through any anxieties myself. I didn't realise appendicitis could be that serious

She has now had a permanent "fix" without having it removed (I wanted no more info than that - squeamish)

On a different subject the driveshaft on my Lancia is off centre (unbalanced) A new one would cost a fortune as it would have to be made bespoke so to speak. Fortunately I know someone called Hairy Barry who works on commercial vehicles. Hairy Barry had it put on a special tensioning lathe and rebalanced it - genius. I put some work his way sometimes so he didn't charge me. I would buy him a drink but I don't do that sort of thing anymore
Old 07-06-2015, 08:32 AM
  # 444 (permalink)  

Elizabeth, well done on having a good weekend. Silence is so healing sometimes. Enjoy your time.

Sao, that fix sounds brilliant! How far along are you on the Lancia?

This not having stable childcare in place is wreaking havoc on my nerves. I hate it. Constant worry and juggling.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 445 (permalink)  

Saoutchik, awesome Hairy Barry sounds like a bit of a character too
Old 07-06-2015, 09:16 AM
  # 446 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I hope you can get something sorted out Ruby, you have much longer school summer breaks than we do in UK where kids are in school for another couple of weeks yet. Are they old enough to go to summer camp?

My Lancia is progressing but slowly, the engine is about to be rebuilt (not by me) This will give it a smidge more power and allow it run on unleaded fuel. Every single panel is made of aluminium and has to be hand beaten into shape (by me) Very time consuming though I have molds (called bucks) to work with
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20150706_170700.jpg (51.5 KB, 38 views)
Old 07-06-2015, 09:35 AM
  # 447 (permalink)  
...holds the key

I'm enjoying a quiet morning too, Elizabeth. This weekend was fun and filled with lots of activity, but I need private time to recharge. Being sober and Wanting to be sober are blessings indeed.

Ruby...hope you get the childcare stabilized soon.

Sao....I know nothing about engines but I'm impressed with your knowledge and skill. A true labor of love.

I so enjoyed having the house to myself this weekend! We're thinking about heading up to Colorado in a few weeks to escape the heat....that's what us Texans do. It's funny but when we're there we usually run into people we know from home.

Hope everyone has a good day!
Xoxo
Old 07-06-2015, 09:49 AM
  # 448 (permalink)  

Brynn...we are neighbors. I'm in NM. I went camping in the mountains a few weeks ago and it was heavenly. Actually cold at night.
Well now I have to wait. My flight isn't til tonight and people here have to work today. So I'm lying around reading. Kinda nice, relaxing. I took a 2 hour nap already.
Ruby, you don't have summer rec programs? Well, maybe they are all full. Maybe you could pay a friend to let the kids visit every day. Someone who already has kids and needs some extra cash.
Old 07-06-2015, 09:52 AM
  # 449 (permalink)  

Way to go, Elizabeth! The sober life is a good life. Enjoy!
Old 07-06-2015, 09:54 AM
  # 450 (permalink)  
...holds the key

HAF......we will go to Red River and Taos while we're up there! Two of my favorite places! Lots of gorgeous wildflowers!

Enjoy relaxing!!
Old 07-06-2015, 10:04 AM
  # 451 (permalink)  

I liked NM when I visited. Camping in Bandelier National Forest. Cold in March. I'll have to get back.

The kids are in summer camp, all day, every day, from 9:30 to 3:30. Therein lies the problem. While I can drop them off at school, I can't drop them at camp. School starts at 7:40 a.m. I start work at 8:30. At the end of the day, I can't get them at 3:30. I now have a woman to pick them up, but no one to drop them off unless my mother does it. Sao, I like the UK school schedule much better. My cousin lives in England and will be visiting but not until late this month when her 3 children are finished with school. Makes more sense to me with working families. Children retain more and get into less trouble.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:33 AM
  # 452 (permalink)  

This track reminds me of addiction.... plus I think it's a good track.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:40 AM
  # 453 (permalink)  

Sao, the Lancia will be done before you know it.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:03 AM
  # 454 (permalink)  

My husband just bought me an older Fuji bike, a 2007 Odessa model. He is excited. Says it's super lightweight and shifts gears smoothly. We'll get me a gel seat for comfort. I'm kind of excited. He is into biking more than me. I'm open to it though. We have some great trails around town and just outside of town.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:14 AM
  # 455 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Hairy Barry is definitely a character Soberpotamus -I have never seen him out of overall, he possibly sleeps in them. Most conversations with him involve me talking to the back of his (hairy) head

Thanks Brynn but it's not quite true as I am not doing the engine rebuild myself - I am just aqquiring all the necessary bits which is difficult enough

I don't think it will be finished this year Ruby - had I not been a drunk when I bought it in October last year I don't think I would have attempted it, no sane person would.

Texas summer heat sounds scary to this London boy
Old 07-06-2015, 12:03 PM
  # 456 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Hairy Barry is definitely a character Soberpotamus -I have never seen him out of overall, he possibly sleeps in them. Most conversations with him involve me talking to the back of his (hairy) head

Thanks Brynn but it's not quite true as I am not doing the engine rebuild myself - I am just aqquiring all the necessary bits which is difficult enough

I don't think it will be finished this year Ruby - had I not been a drunk when I bought it in October last year I don't think I would have attempted it, no sane person would.

Texas summer heat sounds scary to this London boy
Texas heat can get scary. A couple of years ago we had something like 70 days of +100F. It sucked to honest. My AC went out. Bought a window AC unit and built a small insulated refrigerator habitat around my bed.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:07 PM
  # 457 (permalink)  

Sao, the Lancia will be done before you know it.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:13 PM
  # 458 (permalink)  

Well, sitting and waiting.

Heard on the radio this morning that a young man in Maine was killed as he tried launching a firework off his head. I wondered at the time whether alcohol was involved. Just read the news article and alcohol was involved. Very sad. So avoidable. Placed a mortar tube on his head and set it off.

Certainly, lapses in judgment of that magnitude can mostly be avoided. Ready to be done with work today.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:15 PM
  # 459 (permalink)  

How did I repeat myself with the Lancia post? Hate when that happens
Old 07-06-2015, 12:29 PM
  # 460 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I just thought you were hurrying me up Ruby

Bike should be fun Soberpotamus though not if it is too hot

Talking of which 70 days of 100F+does sound tough. 10th August 2003 is the only day ever that the temperature has reached 100F in London (I remember it well)