Notices

Holiday Edition Stay sober Weekender July 4th

Old 07-05-2015, 08:27 AM
  # 381 (permalink)  

I buy stuff from thrift stores. It irritates me to pay full price for casual clothes. So thank you, gettingsmarter

LB, I love fishing - you'll have to buy her a really cool fishing vest and her own gear. She's gonna have to compromise a little, no? Plus - what's not to love about fishing? Man against beast. Primal. Of course, I grew up in SE Florida, and my stepdad owned a boat, so fishing in the Gulf stream might be a little more exciting than streams in Delaware - but still! Hours of boredom punctuated by seconds of adrenaline.

The haze lingers from the fireworks last night. Stagnant air. I'm glad it's over.

Today is supposed to be in the 90s - so the plan is to go to a nice breezy beach with hiking trails in the woods. If I come home at 11PM, it should be cool enough to sleep. This is a very long hot wave for the PNW.

Breakfast - oatmeal, apple, BACON.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:28 AM
  # 382 (permalink)  

Ack! I'm too busy to keep up
Which is sad because weekend threads are my favorite! Oh well. I'm working but having fun. Hope everyone had a lovely, sober 4th/Saturday if you're not in the states!
Old 07-05-2015, 08:31 AM
  # 383 (permalink)  

Yay bacon! I miss bacon.

I need to go to the store which means I need to shower. Have a great day all!

Bim congrats on 16 months!
Old 07-05-2015, 08:34 AM
  # 384 (permalink)  

Well, I am about to go and lie in the sun outside for a bit with a good book! I suffer the curse of true English skin - a tendency to go from ghost white to beetroot red instantly. Hoping to prepare my skin a little before the Florida beach vacation. Both my parents and sister tan, I am just lucky I guess. Somehow I wound up with the dark brunette, pale skin, blue eyes genes! Poor sun has extremely pale blue eyes, the sun hurts his eyes the entire summer. Maybe me and him are vampires?
Old 07-05-2015, 08:43 AM
  # 385 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by learningagain View Post
Well, I am about to go and lie in the sun outside for a bit with a good book! I suffer the curse of true English skin - a tendency to go from ghost white to beetroot red instantly. Hoping to prepare my skin a little before the Florida beach vacation. Both my parents and sister tan, I am just lucky I guess. Somehow I wound up with the dark brunette, pale skin, blue eyes genes! Poor sun has extremely pale blue eyes, the sun hurts his eyes the entire summer. Maybe me and him are vampires?
Here in England we call that Scottish skin (I expect LA was being polite)
Old 07-05-2015, 08:53 AM
  # 386 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Congrats Bimini on 16 months!!

Thrift stores....Yay! I've gotten brand new, tag still on, designer tops and dresses from Salvation Army on more than one occasion!! Sweet!

Della...store? I thought you bought everything on Amazon??
Old 07-05-2015, 08:56 AM
  # 387 (permalink)  

I need Italian sausage

This is providing my son actually returns to take me to said store.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:01 AM
  # 388 (permalink)  

Good morning, guys. Third (and last) cup of coffee going down the hatch. Trimmed up all the flowers, watered the thirsty ones, finished up some laundry, filled the dishwasher, let the dogs out for a bit, and now I'm deciding whether to read/study, re-do the flower bed edging stones (again), or go to Sam's and pick up some bags of frozen fruits and other things. I'm on Target's website stalking a certain shade of some towels, washcloths, and hand towels. A few months ago, I got these amazingly soft and fluffy towel sets in a french lilac/plum shade, and now they are completely sold out of the bath towel. So it is killing me to have to buy the washcloths and hand towels separately, in hopes that they'll replenish the towels ... or not. Lol. Yeah, pretty ridiculous, but I can't help it. I'm a bit OCD on this one.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:04 AM
  # 389 (permalink)  

A cool Morning with high Cloud cover. Lovely out here. See below. Even Da Pooch is groovin' out here with us. The Forecast suggests we'll have some rockin' Thunderstorms this afternoon. Love dat! Italian Snausages are cooking here, too.

The local Fireworks Show last night down by the Dog/Regional Park 'Complex' was quite good. As was our distant 'perch' seated up high in my Pick-em-up Truck Bed. Virtually no 'Skeeters. Perhaps the peak moment was when this Lightning Bolt a few Miles behind the Pyro Display jumped Cloud-to-Cloud right as an impressive Pyro went off at the apex of travel. Chinese Fireworks paled beside Ma Nature lettin' it rip.

Great Music Link, Mec. Tnx for that one. Hee hee...

A Sober Sunday to all, and I hope those around us are finally seeing 'The Real Me'. Ringo's Son 'Zak' on Drums. Dad and Mom - Barbara Bach - went to Rehab many years ago, and sobered up.

- 'The Real Me' ~ The Who ~ Live -

Old 07-05-2015, 09:06 AM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Mesa, that pic of Da Pooch is frame-worthy for sure.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:14 AM
  # 391 (permalink)  

I love getting towels! You can change up the look of your bathroom for little money.

Morning Enders!
I actually slept in a bit today. It was too hot to sleep last night so wandered up the hill to the grassy knoll that over looks the city. It you shielded the street light and looked around the big tree you could see the firework display.
Lots of people had the same idea and it seemed like every adult had a red Dixie cup or a glass of some kind. But since the show was only 15 minutes long I wasn't around it that long. Still, after so long it is a little wistful. Just have to fast forward the tape and then that wistfulness evaporates.
Lazy day here. Just going to try and ignore the heat and lay low.
Hope everyone is doing well today!!
Old 07-05-2015, 09:55 AM
  # 392 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by Della1968 View Post
I need Italian sausage
Buona sera!
Old 07-05-2015, 10:02 AM
  # 393 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Buona sera!
Old 07-05-2015, 10:25 AM
  # 394 (permalink)  

Bwahaha!
Old 07-05-2015, 10:30 AM
  # 395 (permalink)  

Is it wrong that I buy my towels from thrift stores, too?

And kitchen gadgets. Lots of people dying these days (baby boomers) and they give up some great gadgets. Let's see, $28 for that thing at Target, or $2.99 at Goodwill?

Not much of a decision for this unemployed single gal.

And, congrats right back atcha on six months, Della
Old 07-05-2015, 10:49 AM
  # 396 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post

And, congrats right back atcha on six months, Della
Buona Sea for real
Old 07-05-2015, 10:54 AM
  # 397 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

OK... I totally got out the door and did nothing that I planned. Ate out again! Did not hike but people watched in the old port. Hot day brings out hot people.

Now home and going to make a huge salad with fresh strawberries and slivered almonds. A spray of lemon juice and a good olive oil. Shaved parm. mmmmmmm.

Not a towel guy here. Paper towel yes. Brawny. Yes. I buy it for the reason they sell it. I will be a big strong strapping man if I do. Plus you can pick you size towel!!

Movie time. Warm breeze and the cats laying low. I am so damn excited about work.

Is it me??? I don't recall seeing a BigS update on the volcano. Did I just miss it? Calling Big S!!!

You all got me through a tough weekend for me. Love ya for that!!!

I will be here the remainder of the day. Just relaxing......zzzzz.zz.zzzz......
Old 07-05-2015, 10:55 AM
  # 398 (permalink)  

Congrats BiM!!!!!!!

Old 07-05-2015, 10:57 AM
  # 399 (permalink)  

Congrats Della!!!!!!

Old 07-05-2015, 11:01 AM
  # 400 (permalink)  

just a quick hello - read the last page fastly...

Bim, when we went to yellowstone, I got her waders, vest, new fly rod etc...
FOR SALE - women's fishing stuff! I forgot that box on the wife application...

Oh, but she wants a paddle board - definitely. NOPE!

meanwhile as I've been waiting for this kayak place to get back to me I'm looking at fly reels because I want to catch a striper on a fly. Maybe next time... It is frustrating when they say they'll call you right back - two hours ago. Then I leave a message on the big honcho's cell phone ... It's the holiday weekend, but anyone who runs a seasonal business knows you don't get holiday weekends off.

How's everyone doing? I need to see these kayaks before I pull the plug on one. And their site doesn't share that most valuable information. wtf!

okay, lunch time I suppose and start going through camping gear etc...
looks like I gotta pack a coffee pot and pre-ground coffee for this trip. No beer and no wine. Last time I went camping it was "several" cases of beer plus a bottle of wine per day at least.
Now packing isn't so much of a chore. If I forget something, I don't really need it - unless it's a fishing item...
OH!, she tried on her wetsuit - took some extra effort to zip it up - hahaha.

Almost forgot, I saw a website that said guatemala is like the 6th most dangerous place in the world to live.

here you go della -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
italian.stalion.jpg (28.9 KB, 35 views)