Notices

Is it true that the first two weeks are the hardest?

Old 06-30-2015, 06:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is it true that the first two weeks are the hardest?

I'm almost to day 6, I've never made it past 12 days since I started drinking at age 18 and that was over 8 years ago. I've only done 12 days once. (a couple months ago). Alcoholism runs in my family, so I guess I'm the type that once that switch is turned on...it's on for good. I'm not expecting some magical mind shift to happen at two weeks....but is it true that it gets easier after that?

Going day 6 I'm past the main withdrawals. Mine aren't too bad, since I break for work, but the first couple days are torture because I always hit it hard on my days off. Noticing a bit of the brain fog lifting and I imagine that will only get better. I don't really remember how I felt last time because I have the memory capacity of a bug for obvious reasons.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
quat

The early goings are definitely tough, and it has certainly been nothing but better everyday since.
The last two weeks are the worst ones, so bad that I will never do Them again.
Keep trucking, you got this.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Can't give you an exact time frame but from experience I can tell you the longer you go, the better you feel and the easier it gets.

Keep going, you'll see.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

Day 6, that's awesome! Give yourself a well-deserved pat on the back mate! Your speaking to alcoholics here and we know how difficult that is.

For myself, the first two weeks were the most difficult physically. After that I hit a bit of a pink cloud and got some of my mojo back, but of course the mental recovery is a much longer process. Keep with it though. As I like to say, despite everything I lost from drinking, I've gained back twice as much from my recovery.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I didn't have a problem quitting, I had a problem staying quit. Some days still suck. Today I don't have to drink or use when that happens though.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I can only speak for myself.

Yes, the first two weeks were the hardest because it was such a departure from my routine. I'll be honest -- there were other aspects of early sobriety that weren't easy. I had some fatigue issues for about the first month. But, again, the first two weeks were tougher.

Congrats on Day 6. That's progress and I can assure you that it gets easier.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Physically the first couple weeks can be very hard...your body needs time to heal and get used to not being sedated all the time. The mental healing is different and can take longer, but overall things get better to be certain!
Old 06-30-2015, 08:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Oh, no! It's week 15 - 17 that are the worst!

After you quit, all weeks are the best.
Old 07-01-2015, 03:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

The first two weeks were pretty rough for me. Breaking all those habits plus the physical aspect of withdrawal was pretty tough. I didn't even go through a bad withdrawal, just brain fog, fatigue, anxiety... The brain fog and anxiety went away, and I'd say I was pretty fatigued for about another week.

Well worth it though. I don't EVER want to go through that again. I'm on Day 50 now and it's so much better. I sleep through the night without any aids, I have energy to go out and do things. I remember things and I can stay focused... it's been great!

Hang in there and post often. We're all here for you!
Old 07-01-2015, 03:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

The first month was hard for me...hard but not impossible.

Trying to live my old drinking life one more day was impossible.

things get a lot better

D
Old 07-01-2015, 04:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi and congratulations with your sober period.
So much depends on the individual and what changes and work they put into staying sober. Usually the softer, easier ways don’t work, like tapering or moderating. For most it’s a serious desire to not drink that works which is helped by accurately remembering what it was like drinking and the problems it created.

I will say that relapsing back to drinking is very hard to recover from as compared to the first time, I never want to TRY to go through that again, probably couldn’t.

BE WELL
Old 07-01-2015, 05:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

There are difficult passages throughout the first year of sobriety. The first two weeks have their own set of challenges, mainly physical, as your body heals, and mental, as the brain recovers.

What made the first two weeks difficult for me was feeling so much better and starting to doubt that I really had a problem. I had to learn to sustain the desire to remain sober while my addictive voice tried to convince me I deserved to drink.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks all I made it through another day/night! I started yesterday with a walk and that seemed to help so I'm going to do the same today. So thankful to not wake up with a hangover and despair this morning. I work tomorrow and Friday so that will bring me to day 9...then the daunting challenge of the weekend awaits. That's going to be a doozy.
Old 07-01-2015, 06:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
zjw

i guess its different for everyone. it was hard for me for like the first 8 months or something. but it wasnt so hard that i wanted to go back to drinking. even tho at times it didnt always seem any better.

In the end i was way better off not drinking. I coudlnt say it was some kind of a cake walk after x time or something. I think it was more a slow transition into being a normal functioning adult a transition that I think is still on going for me.

there where varous times along the way tho that i thought ALAS i think i've turned a corner! and I'd get very happy as it felt like I had taken a few substantial sized steps etc..
Old 07-01-2015, 06:22 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

8 months?! oh god. I hope it doesn't take me that long to ditch these cravings. Congrats on your success though. How long did you drink for? I've heard how long cravings last can be somewhat relative to how long the person drank?
Old 07-01-2015, 08:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Good news is you don't ever have to pay attention to that switch again. Don't take that first drink no matter what and if you don't take the first one then the second or third or tenth ones can't follow. Cravings are just thoughts, just your addiction trying to sweet talk or bully you--they have no real power and will go away if you don't give them power by taking that first drink.

Wishing you the best! Congrats on day 6.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Day 6 is fantastic!!

Keep it going one day at a time, for me if I thought too far into the future it would stress me out, so I had to keep the goal small, just get to bedtime each night, and soon days would turn to weeks, weeks would turn to months and so on!!

You can do this!!
Old 07-01-2015, 12:40 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I completely hear you on the "just get to bedtime" part! Once I make it to 8pm I'm usually in the clear because I feel like it's an acceptable time to go to bed. I'd drink anytime of day, but it's 4-7pm that tends to be the high risk time, where my mind likes to play tricks on me. It's 230pm now....the hours of reckoning are approaching. Trying to stay busy!
Old 07-01-2015, 12:51 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Do your best

it is true trying to get & stay sober at first is really hard but as the days go by as long as your working on your sobriety things will get easier over time
Old 07-01-2015, 02:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Honestly, I found several points of 'the hardest' along the way. It seems to be different for everyone and it seems like it's a process; you feel better - then you get hit with some new upwelling of emotion or craving or response you didn't anticipate.

But I'm finding that the second year is a lot easier / better / stronger / more peaceful / more joyful / less challenging than the first.

Hang in there, you're doing great.