Notices

Going through withdrawals

Old 06-30-2015, 04:59 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I think at minimum your dehydrated and should see a doctor.......just to be safe and also couldn't hurt to get some sleep meds off him/her.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:03 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

For sleep.....ive used Walmart over the counter sleep aid.....works good for me......and Chinese food.....for some reason Chinese food puts me right to sleep.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:31 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hot showers and changing sheets when I'd sweat helped me.

Herbal tea when you can keep it down and write in a journal / watch old movies or read a novel if you can't sleep.

It will pass
Old 06-30-2015, 05:37 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

just a reminder on the medical advice rule.
Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.

I understand that all who shared are well meaning and trying to help - however what happened to you and how you overcame it may not be suitable for others, and may well keep someone else from seeking the professional assistance they need.

please feel free to share your experience and what worked for you - but do not recommend things for other people.

Thanks for your understanding

Dee
SR
Old 06-30-2015, 05:38 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Mario there's a lot of experience in this thread:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

welcome to SR

D
Old 06-30-2015, 06:09 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Adventurer

I really like sleepy time tea to help me get to bed, I know if I drink a cup my wife jokes that it is like I got shot with a tranquilizer dart.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:35 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi Mario.

I really feel for you , but seriously & honestly , no hangover ever goes away quickly.

To ride it out , you need to do what feels right for you. Everyone suffers differently in their own way.

I would suggest , if possible , just stay in bed but drink lors of water .
Hydralite from the chemist is very good.

If you cant keep anything down , you can get the Hydralite in a drink or ice block form. You should be able to keep that down.

Nothing will help you sleep , that's elusive in a hangover but will definitely improve each day that you stay sober until it gets back to a normal pattern.

Alcohol may put us to sleep but it's garanteed to wake us in about 3 hours & cause us to stay awake.

Try to stay sober , do lots and lots of reading on this site , talk to lots of people , pick up lots of tips & help others , which you have just done by being honest with yourself.

I'm thinking of you & feel for you.

Always see a doctor if you don't feel that what you are doing is enough or giving you any relief.

Good luck xx
Old 06-30-2015, 07:01 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much. This is my first time reaching out for help online. I didn't think I would get many responses but it's hard not to get a little emotional with all of this help from complete strangers. Thank you. I'm going to try some things (safely)... I've been through alcohol withdrawals many times before, just never this bad.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:05 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I reached out to my boss, who has gone through this a long time ago, and he is also helping me. I have the week off to get through this and will be at an AA meeting when I feel well enough to leave this room. I can't go through this again. There's a lot about my life I'm scared to lose... Again, thank you all
Old 06-30-2015, 07:06 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I always found that Gatorade or pedialyte helped. it has electrolytes, sodium and potassium. I'm sure food is the last thing on your mind, but when you can finally eat something, eat it. whatever taste good. I'm not giving any medical advice, I'm just sharing what worked for me. When the appetite came back, I knew I was out of the woods...so to speak.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:10 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Twice, after two days of vomiting, I went to the doctor and he hooked me up to an iv right in his office. Please don't hesitate going to the ER if you can't take it anymore.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:11 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

The chamomile tea is very relaxing and soothes the sour tummy.

Jennifer
Old 06-30-2015, 07:12 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Yep pedilyte is now used as a standard hangover cure........taste horrible omg.......I don't know how they get babies to drink it......one sip and this adult baby tossed it.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:14 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I'm with alphaomega......last detox I did.....I know I was dehydrated.......urine was very yellow and I wasn't going much........both signs of dehydration.
Old 06-30-2015, 07:27 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Sounds like a great guy to work for. Don't squander that.

I've been through the tough withdrawals, been hospitalized for it, etc. It seemed that water passed right through me and I always felt thirsty, and food would just turn into a brick in my gut. But I kept at it because I knew getting nutrition and hydration back to something more than zero was necessary. I found that a folic acid supplement and a B vitamin comolex helped immensely with shakes and balance issues. In addition, I took one-a-day multivitamins every four hours. I doubt it helped, but if it could alleviate at least some of the deficiencies,.more the better. What my body couldn't use was passed.

As for the insomnia, I was a fan of the TV or radio on very lightly in the background. Something to listen to in order to focus my mind on anything other than my discomfort.

The sweet, fruity smell of all that junk leaving my body through my pores was horrid. You could scrape the greasy film off me within an hour of a shower, and I constantly felt sticky. My skin also dried out horribly after a long bender, which seems impossible when you feel greasy, but it did. I kept one t-shirt dirty from the body odor of detoxing, and it still has the funk. I kept it for a while, and during that first couple months, if I started talking myself into a drink, a whiff of that shirt ended that pretty quickly.

I will say that I took BRUTALLY hot showers or baths for the first few days. It caused more sweating, but it also relaxed my body enough to grab a blessed hour or two of fitful napping.

I relied on easily digested foods to start. Hard cooked eggs were a favorite, followed by yogurt. Settled the gut amd started giving me some proper food energy. I never was able to really turn the corner on a detox until I started getting some nutrition in me. Even then, it was slow going.

Keep in mind, this can be the LAST time, if you so choose. I was a chronic relapse case...numerous times, and the withdrawals only got WORSE for me. I really hope that you start putting together a plan so you never have to do this again. Six months and change from my last ten days of withdrawals, when a drink would have immediately eased the pain, and I've got a whole new lease on life. But I had to go through enough physical, mental, emotional, and spiritual pain before I made the choices to get the help I needed. It CAN be done. Fight the good fight...we've got lots of warriors here at SR.

"Always Believe!" -The Ultimate Warrior
Old 07-01-2015, 08:49 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Again, not medical advice, but any foods that start to restore the flora or digestive bacteria in your gut will help kick start the digestive process. I think they are even starting to sell products like probiotics. Alcohol kills all the good bacteria in your gut and thus food does not digest or sound good. Alcohol also binds with water and is easily absorbed via the digestive membrane taking that "water" or fluid with it. This is why these idiots that give themselves enemas with 100 proof vodka can literally die. The intestine will absorb it almost immediately and your bac will skyrocket.
Old 07-01-2015, 12:06 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Mario!!

I found giving my body what it wanted, sleep, rest, food, some evenings simply involved playing online puzzles as I hadn't the energy for much else, but that was fine, another Sober day clocked up was the goal, and whatever got me through that initial period I did it!!

Hang in there!! You can do this!!
Old 07-01-2015, 01:21 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Thank you all so much. I don't feel any better but I'm going to keep fighting through this. I'm going to try and eat now. I don't know if this is good for me but, Chinese food is the only thing that sounded edible right now. Going to try and find some sort of sleep aid when my room mate gets back. Can't imagine going through this again.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:06 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hi Mario....how's everything going? How are you feeling?
Old 07-02-2015, 03:34 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

When I have withdrawals I lace 'em up, put on some shorts and go for a run. Nothing makes me forget feeling awful like doing something that makes me feel . . even more awful. I think the increased sweating helps, though, and it works up the appetite a bit. Also my central nervous system feels much less "twitchy" after some exercise.

That said, be aware of your medical and physical state. Athletic activity is a stress that can exacerbate existing medical conditions. You don't want to stroke out and die on someone's front lawn.