SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Going to quit (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/370723-going-quit.html)

JerryFish 06-30-2015 08:15 AM

Going to quit

Drinking almost cost me my job. It's cost me a huge part of my life. Not my health... yet. But it needs to stop. It's so easy to watch movies where people drink a lot and get all into the romanticized part of it, while reality means being sick. Sweaty. Unable to function.

I am going to quit. I don't want to live like this anymore.

least 06-30-2015 08:17 AM

Welcome to the family. :) You'll find lots of support and useful info here. :)

ScottFromWI 06-30-2015 08:23 AM

Welcome Jerry, I think you've made a great decision. Regarding movies, there are also versions where the drinking is not very romantic at all and the drinker ends up losing it all. Glad you've decided to choose a happy ending! Have you given any thought as to what type of plan or program you might use to get and stay sober?

doggonecarl 06-30-2015 08:25 AM

Welcome to Sober Recovery.

Originally Posted by JerryFish (Post 5445876)
I am going to quit.

Today, I hope.

Wholesome 06-30-2015 08:26 AM

Welcome :)

vnoyes 06-30-2015 08:33 AM

I want to quit today too Jerry. I keep failing, maybe we can do this together.

Anna 06-30-2015 08:51 AM

Welcome and I'm glad you have decided to quit. Do you have a plan for recovery?

Elizabeth333 06-30-2015 08:56 AM

Hi - I allowed alcohol to take me to places I never want to go again. Lost my job, lost my family for awhile, lost my mind for a time. Feeling so grateful to have been given another chance. Please stay stopped.

Quirky 06-30-2015 08:56 AM

Welcome Jerryfish, I am so glad you are here with us. SR is a wonderful place for support and learning. You will find everyone here eager to help you as you get and stay sober. SR has made all the difference to me, and I know you will benefit from it too.
One, minute, one hour, one day at a time...you can do it!

And Vnoyes, so glad you are committing to sobriety... Hang close to SR, we are here for you!

CaseyW 06-30-2015 09:19 AM

Welcome to SR, JerryFish! There is a ton of great wisdom and support to be found here.

PurpleKnight 06-30-2015 10:17 AM

Welcome to the Forum JerryFish!! :wave:

JerryFish 06-30-2015 11:21 AM

Wow, thanks all. I won't quit today. I've planned it for today being the last and then I'm done with it.

CaseyW 06-30-2015 11:25 AM

Why not go ahead and make yesterday the last and today the first? There's no time like right now to start a new way of life.

doggonecarl 06-30-2015 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by JerryFish (Post 5446168)
I won't quit today. I've planned it for today being the last and then I'm done with it.

I drank like that for a number of years...quitting tomorrow.

dwtbd 06-30-2015 11:40 AM

I knew I should have quit , for a long time. I wanted to be quit for a long time. I planned on quitting , but didn't for a long time.The only thing I didn't do was quit, full stop one moment in time, until I did. You can too. It is actually the only way , it's definitely doable. There is no need to wait, you don't have to prolong it, you can do it, rootin for you .

dwtbd 06-30-2015 01:30 PM

Finding SR and seeing mention of Rational Recovery and their AVRT, is what got me to my moment in time. There are really good threads in the Secular Connections here on SR. It gave me a different perspective on my addiction and my role in it that really resonated , I highly recommend at least checking into it .
Wish you well and hope to see you around

Hevyn 06-30-2015 01:40 PM

Good to meet you Jerry. :) You're with friends who care. Not feeling alone anymore is so important - and we all understand what you're going through. You've made a wonderful, life-changing decision.

thomas11 06-30-2015 02:12 PM

Hi Jerryfish, good for you. As you can see by responses, it's not a walk in the park, but very achievable. Speaking of movies and shows, I watched MadMen series, no way back in those days those guys could not have been full blown alcoholics. Hard liquor, the morning and throughout the day. I guess they why they called it MadMen. Best wishes.

Soberwolf 06-30-2015 02:19 PM

Welcome JerryFish

JerryFish 06-30-2015 02:37 PM

I really appreciate the responses. I wish I could truly appreciate them, but being drunk, they just don't get through to me as they usually would.

I have a few beers left. I will drink them, collapse into bed and start over sober tomorrow.

It is surprising how much time it took to write this message. One of the good reasons to quit.