Notices

Alcohol Dream

Old 06-29-2015, 11:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol Dream

I had my first dream about alcohol last night and I just need to share it so that I don't forget it.

So me and my friend are searching for a treasure in this huge office building. We decide to split up... I go into this huge open plan office but there is just one guy in there... he seems to be in charge... I ask him if he had seen the treasure and he says he will show me where it is.. before I know it he was on top of me attacking me... he grabs a bottle of wine and tried to hurt me with it... I hold his arm up high to keep it away... the bottle cap falls off.... the wine flows out next to me... once the bottle was empty, he lost all his power, if not disappeared... I literally got up and walked out the door. I meet up with my friend. We walk outside the building and there is this beautiful garden right outside the door... in the corner of the garden we see the treasure glowing.

I thought it was a symbolic dream. Maybe a higher power or maybe my subconscious mind... who knows... all I know is that I want to remember this.

Did any of you ever have a alcohol dream. It made me think that it was really an addiction to affect me in this way.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Drinking dreams are very common. I had one last night actually. Though I've already forgotten all the details except that even in the dream I knew I was only dreaming so I didn't wake up this time in a cold sweat thinking, "Damn, I just drank." I hate when that happens--when it takes me a few minutes to orient myself and realize it was just a dream in the first place and that I haven't blown my recovery.

Your dream sounds very symbolic and full of meaning for you.

I'd say right now on day 54 that I get maybe one drinking dream every week to ten days. My dad has been sober for 32 years. I'll have to ask him how long his kept going and would be interested to hear how often others here with long term sobriety have them.
Old 06-29-2015, 11:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It is very common
I had them a lot during my first year. Often , it would be me taking a sip , and then id realize I'm not supposed to drink, and i would get so sad in my dreams about having to start at day one again. It would seem so real some times .
Drinking and using dreams are interesting. I've become very fascinated with dream journaling in general sonce I've gotten sober. I used to just pass out and wake up and some times I would have a horrible night mare but I never remember my dreams when I was active in my addiction.
Then when I quit drinking and using - my dreams became so vivid and colorful and I learned lucid dreaming and how to change the direction the dream was going in.
anwyays long tangent- but yes, drinking dreams are normal
Old 06-29-2015, 11:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CaseyW View Post
Drinking dreams are very common. I had one last night actually. Though I've already forgotten all the details except that even in the dream I knew I was only dreaming so I didn't wake up this time in a cold sweat thinking, "Damn, I just drank." I hate when that happens--when it takes me a few minutes to orient myself and realize it was just a dream in the first place and that I haven't blown my recovery.

Your dream sounds very symbolic and full of meaning for you.

I'd say right now on day 54 that I get maybe one drinking dream every week to ten days. My dad has been sober for 32 years. I'll have to ask him how long his kept going and would be interested to hear how often others here with long term sobriety have them.
I would love to hear what your dad says! Funny thing is even of those days where I don't dream of alcohol, I still wake up feeling flustered... thinking oh no what did I do last night... then it hits me a minute later that I did not drink. Best feeling ever! Gotten so use to waking up everyday trying to put the pieces of the previous night together. Urgh I am so happy with sobriety just because of this one fact. No guilt!
Old 06-29-2015, 11:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by greens View Post
It is very common
I had them a lot during my first year. Often , it would be me taking a sip , and then id realize I'm not supposed to drink, and i would get so sad in my dreams about having to start at day one again. It would seem so real some times .
Drinking and using dreams are interesting. I've become very fascinated with dream journaling in general sonce I've gotten sober. I used to just pass out and wake up and some times I would have a horrible night mare but I never remember my dreams when I was active in my addiction.
Then when I quit drinking and using - my dreams became so vivid and colorful and I learned lucid dreaming and how to change the direction the dream was going in.
anwyays long tangent- but yes, drinking dreams are normal
Thank you for sharing. Yes it is so true. I always woke up with a half dream? lol not remembering anything 2 minutes after waking up. It is so much better sober and my dreams seem less 'angry'
Old 06-30-2015, 04:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow. What a really cool dream, Zeekie! Sounds like something is definitely shifting for you.

I've had a few dreams of drinking alcohol and while I hear that it's quite normal, I was always a little freaked out by them. I figure it's just my mind working out and processing the new steps I'm taking in creating a new way of living.

I had a dream a few nights ago that my mother (who passed away 12 years ago) was drinking a lot. In the dream I can remember so clearly thinking that she was acting just like I do when I drink, that she had no concept of what reality really was and was just ruining any chance of trying to live a better life.

I think I need to write this dream down to remind myself of what drinking does for me, that it robs me of any happiness I hope to make for myself. Thanks for your post!
Old 06-30-2015, 08:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Um Dia de Cada Vez

Yesterday I had for the first time an alcohol dream where I didnt drink. It feels awesome to not relapse even when dreaming
Old 06-30-2015, 10:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

They happen form time to time, but were more frequent in the beginning, they also can be quite unsettling at times!!

Hang in there!! Dreams don't cause hangovers I found!!