Notices

Psychic change

Old 06-27-2015, 03:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Psychic change

Just signing up onsite. I was looking up "psychic change must occur for recovery to work", and this forum came up as an option.

So let me see what feedback I get on the topic.

I've read things, I've been to meetings, step study, open share group and my own research and yet knowledge alone is not the key to recovery, what I need is a revelation of the truth, I need a change in my basic core beliefs. This is where the term psychic change comes in, I think.

Thanks for letting me share.
Old 06-27-2015, 03:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I think that I changed in every way in early recovery, if that's what you mean. I am not an AA person, but I think that's what you're referring to. I was pretty much beaten down and had lost all self-respect, so I had a lot of soul-searching and rebuilding to do.
Old 06-27-2015, 03:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Mak2niner0 View Post
...what I need is a revelation of the truth, I need a change in my basic core beliefs. This is where the term psychic change comes in, I think.
Are you still drinking Mak2?

I had an initial revelation that prompted my quitting. It was revealed to me the depth of my problem and where my drinking was headed. But if I waited for a psychic change before I quit, I'd still be drinking. All my changes happened after I got sober.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I think that psychic changes or religious experiences can prompt someone to enter recovery, but whatever that spirit is that prompts the change has to be renewed through daily devotion, like adding wood to a fire or else it will burn out. One of the only things that I remember from my confirmation classes as a child was the reverends answer to the question: why can't you just worship on your own without going to church? and she said because a ember away from the fire will die out. That's stuck with me, and is one of the reasons I've been trying not to go to long without checking back in here to remind myself of why I quit. It brings me right back to the beginning, and the spirit of the initial conversion to recovery.

The first time, I came here, though, I thought I could just gather some tips, then go off and do it on my own. I felt spiritually committed to the change. My commitment faded with time. With nothing greater than my own willpower to keep me going, I eventually fell back into alcoholism. So, a psychic change, however dramatic and powerful isn't enough for the long run, in my opinion. It has to be renewed and revitalized somehow, and there are many ways for that to happen, I think.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Just signing up onsite. I was looking up "psychic change must occur for recovery to work", and this forum came up as an option.

So let me see what feedback I get on the topic.

I've read things, I've been to meetings, step study, open share group and my own research and yet knowledge alone is not the key to recovery, what I need is a revelation of the truth, I need a change in my basic core beliefs. This is where the term psychic change comes in, I think.

Thanks for letting me share.
The truth is action is required. Knowledge is great stuff. Lots of alcoholics have been given the knowledge of what's necessary to gEt and stay sober yet don't do anything with that knowledge- they don't put in the footwork a d keep drinking, wondering why they can't stop drinking.
Sittin in the garage all day won't make ya a car.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome aboard Mak

D
Old 06-27-2015, 04:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Things started to change for me emotionally, spiritually and physically after I quit drinking.

For me it started with acceptance. I accepted that I can never drink again, and accepted that I can never change my mind. That's when my life started to make sense.

Welcome to SR- there is a lot of support here!
Old 06-27-2015, 04:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

There is more than one way to skin a cat (not sure if that's PC on this site), and if it works for you, run with it. But if it doesn't come to you quick, I'd change course and adhere to something with a proven track record. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-27-2015, 05:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Glad you're here, welcome

As you've read in the book - Alcoholics Anonymous - under The Doctors Opinion, unless a complete psychic change can occur there is very little hope of recovery for real alcoholics. We understand In AA the term refers to a spiritual awakening.

I attend AA and the program has worked for me. The fellowship has filled a void in my life I tried to find with drinking buddies and time wasted on bar stools attempting to solve the worlds problems.

AA of course does not claim to have the universe covered under spiritual awakenings. The program is but one way as we see daily from the diverse group on SR. Many friends here who have changed and walk in the sunlight of the spirit without AA.

Others here are sober without any sense of spirituality. Whatever works for the individual - there are many paths and each journey is unique. I find SR and AA to integrate together very well in my recovery

That's what feedback I have on the topic, - sobriety is here for those who are willing, accepting of our circumstances and take the necessary action to change.

Thanks for the thread!!
Old 06-27-2015, 06:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Awesome input

The change I share is the difference between the deep seated shame that one of my "basic core beliefs" tell me. That core belief pops up at the oddest moments, and at times puzzling me at its origin.

The opposite is what? Transferred from a shame based exsistance to an exsistance totally opposite. Like when the lightbulb comes on that changes a destiny. I can do so much, but then one day it hits, "I get it!!"

My aunt was a chain smoker. Doctors told her quit or you will die. Eventually she lost one lung, she kept smoking till the other lung was consumed. She never got her psychic change. It never hit home.

I don't want that with my recovery. I seek a change, a revelation that changes the way I live and move and have my being.

Yes, that statement from the big book made me look into it more.

" without a psychic change one has little chance for recovery."

Thanks all for your responses.

Awesome site.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:33 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

So glad to have you with us, Mak. There's invaluable support and encouragement here. You're never alone.
Old 06-27-2015, 06:34 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

I stopped drinking with my own will on several occasions, but always ended up drinking again....this time, I made it to day 12, and life was getting worse sober, met with a woman who helped guide me through those 12 steps quickly, in two days (almost like they did in the beginning of AA).....things changed for me.

I wasn't as scared of other people or of going places, the obsession to drink was truly lifted (thoughts happened infrequently, but I could think them through to how bad it can get). I believe I had a psychic change. Thanks to Carl Jung for acknowledging this and for AA to exist today.

AA isn't for everyone, nor is it the only way, and does one really need a psychic change?? I have no idea! I know others in person and on here who don't use AA and are staying stopped.

psychic change needed? maybe just a change in perception....or is that the same thing?
Old 06-27-2015, 06:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Um Dia de Cada Vez

I didnt have one moment in particular that made me want to abstain from alcohol and pot, but there were various moments among my 15-year period as a drinker and 10 as a pot smoker, I shamed myself at parties and events, I lost a job, I got to the ER because I was having a psychotic episode, and countless others. All these things happened because of my addictions, and together they made me change how I feel about drinking and smoking pot today.
Old 06-27-2015, 07:28 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Trudgin

The change I share is the difference between the deep seated shame that one of my "basic core beliefs" tell me. That core belief pops up at the oddest moments, and at times puzzling me at its origin.

The opposite is what? Transferred from a shame based exsistance to an exsistance totally opposite. Like when the lightbulb comes on that changes a destiny. I can do so much, but then one day it hits, "I get it!!"

My aunt was a chain smoker. Doctors told her quit or you will die. Eventually she lost one lung, she kept smoking till the other lung was consumed. She never got her psychic change. It never hit home.

I don't want that with my recovery. I seek a change, a revelation that changes the way I live and move and have my being.

Yes, that statement from the big book made me look into it more.

" without a psychic change one has little chance for recovery."

Thanks all for your responses.

Awesome site.
I had no blinding light as Bill W describes his moment. Mine is very much of the educational variety but no less real.

I think most if us have to put in the daily work. I know I do.
It's easy when we stand at the mountain top to have faith. My joy is the faith we have down in the valleys of life.

Thanks for the post and sharing.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Dentist

Some good input, again thanks.

This weekend is different for me and I can see that much clearer on the topic of change. For several months I've been COMFORTABLE with dental problems. The pain and discomfort just below acceptable levels.

I wasn't ready to do something about it. Just putting it off I guess. This weekend the problem is paramount. I took 3 Tylenol PM last night and that didn't do the trick, the dental problem still persisted. A little swelling, and a constant pain and discomfort, a reminder that I have a problem.

I guess the change I seek is what someone already said "take action". I need to get on the phone and call the dentist. I need to go get some antibiotics. I got appt for August first Saturday, but that's not going to do. I want to be placed on the waiting list when someone cancels I can slip in earlier and get it done. Ready to call the dentist and be persistent.

Am I still comfortable with my struggles, enough to just stay put and struggle lie I've always done? Or am I going to activate a change in my life that will make a difference that could last a life time.

I had to reset my sobriety last night, the dental discomfort and not able to sleep, brought on the episode. Oh well, I'm going to reboot and try again. That's all I can do for now. They say failure. Is not in the fall. But in not getting back up.

Thanks for the forum here.

Last edited by Mak2niner0; 06-28-2015 at 09:56 AM. Reason: Incomplete
Old 06-28-2015, 10:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR Mak
Old 06-28-2015, 10:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Mak, most Dentists will come in for an emergency or refer you to another dentist covering for them.

If you phone your dentist, likely there is a cell or pager number for such things on the answering service. Even if it is Sunday where you are.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:36 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Mak!!