SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   The impossible possible! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/370464-impossible-possible.html)

Foolsgold186 06-26-2015 02:47 PM

The impossible possible!

I'm a year sober today, 365 bloody days without something I thought I couldn't last a hour without.

My every waking moment was how to bring alcohol into my day.
I was happy - get drunk!
I was sad - get really drunk!
I'd made a horrible mistake/said something bad while drunk....well get so drunk it won't matter anyways!! Every emotion warranted me with a pass to get drunk. It was an absolutely horrible existence. I hated myself. Consumed with fear about never being able to stop drinking and being **** scared of who I really would become sober.

The first few weeks and months were hard. I had "the fear" daily. Worrying about the huge responsibility id put on myself by declaring to family and friends I was an alcoholic and in my heart thinking I wouldn't ever do it as id relapsed so many times before so....I attended AA, got a sponsor, met sober friends, I joined SR, read and posted as often as I could. I got a counsellor and submerged myself in my new life. I was lucky to have the support from my boyfriend, family and friends, I knew it was now or never and id eventually die from some alcohol related illness or I'd end up in a ditch and break the people who loved me heart. Slowly but surely the months passed by and I was...dare I say it happy?!?

I soon discovered I was pregnant, moved into our new home and tried to keep doing what I could do to stay sober. Experiencing throughout many fleeting moments of wanting to drink. I didn't but how I hated those thoughts...and I soon came to realise I have a choice. My thoughts don't have to be actioned.

Sobriety has given me something I never thought I'd get, peace of mind, a life and a family. My son arrived on the 29th April 2015. He is beautiful. He is my world and he will never see me drunk. I owe him a sober mother but the person I owe that to the most is me!

Life has its normal ups and downs but I grab them by the balls and deal with them.

I used to read posts and hear stories of years of sobriety and think never! I swear to god if your reading this and think you can't get sober you can! Your life depends on it and what a life it can be.

Good luck to each and everyone of you here. And most of all thank you. Being able to read posts in the middle of the night, on the train, bath and in the oddest of places has been my saviour.
Like a warm sober friend walking with me on my journey. Wishing you all well. Leigh x

Saskia 06-26-2015 02:53 PM

Fools gold, huge congrats on 1 year sober! :a122:

You sound so clear-headed. And delighted to hear about your baby.

Soberwolf 06-26-2015 02:56 PM

Foolsgold you are so so amazing this is the best news

Way to go you FG

:hb6:a122::bc3:bday

Bailey3 06-26-2015 03:04 PM

Congrats Foolsgold. That's great!

MelindaFlowers 06-26-2015 03:22 PM

Huge congratulations Gold!

Dee74 06-26-2015 03:23 PM

That's amazing stuff foolgood186 - congratulations! :)

D

Foolsgold186 06-26-2015 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers (Post 5440607)
Huge congratulations Gold!

Melinda do we not share the same sobriety date?

Congratulations on 1 year to you too!! Yay.

Anna 06-26-2015 03:37 PM

What a fantastic post, Foolsgold!

Congratulations on the birth of your son and your year of recovery.

Zufrieden 06-26-2015 03:40 PM

So inspiring fools gold!!!
Congratulations on your baby and your new life!

Carla71 06-26-2015 03:41 PM

Congratulations! So inspirational and admirable!

Calitano 06-26-2015 04:15 PM

Congratulations.
Great post - lovely to read it.
:)

biminiblue 06-26-2015 04:32 PM

Congratulations on all of it! You do have a good life now. Thank you for posting :)

sugarbear1 06-26-2015 04:33 PM

Congratulations on one year!

IfYouCanDream 06-26-2015 04:33 PM

Congratulations! May your success inspire all of us

Sasha4 06-26-2015 04:33 PM

Well done honey!
I'm super proud of you!
I remember feeling the same about reading year sober posts and not ever imagining that I could do that.

Wishing you the best xx

katelop 06-26-2015 04:38 PM

So inspiring

Thank you for sharing. My daughter is hitting rock bottom n I need to let her. Your post gave me a flicker of hope for her to choose to get well. Peace to you and your newborn. Keep writing.

Originally Posted by Foolsgold186 (Post 5440551)
I'm a year sober today, 365 bloody days without something I thought I couldn't last a hour without.

My every waking moment was how to bring alcohol into my day.
I was happy - get drunk!
I was sad - get really drunk!
I'd made a horrible mistake/said something bad while drunk....well get so drunk it won't matter anyways!! Every emotion warranted me with a pass to get drunk. It was an absolutely horrible existence. I hated myself. Consumed with fear about never being able to stop drinking and being **** scared of who I really would become sober.

The first few weeks and months were hard. I had "the fear" daily. Worrying about the huge responsibility id put on myself by declaring to family and friends I was an alcoholic and in my heart thinking I wouldn't ever do it as id relapsed so many times before so....I attended AA, got a sponsor, met sober friends, I joined SR, read and posted as often as I could. I got a counsellor and submerged myself in my new life. I was lucky to have the support from my boyfriend, family and friends, I knew it was now or never and id eventually die from some alcohol related illness or I'd end up in a ditch and break the people who loved me heart. Slowly but surely the months passed by and I was...dare I say it happy?!?

I soon discovered I was pregnant, moved into our new home and tried to keep doing what I could do to stay sober. Experiencing throughout many fleeting moments of wanting to drink. I didn't but how I hated those thoughts...and I soon came to realise I have a choice. My thoughts don't have to be actioned.

Sobriety has given me something I never thought I'd get, peace of mind, a life and a family. My son arrived on the 29th April 2015. He is beautiful. He is my world and he will never see me drunk. I owe him a sober mother but the person I owe that to the most is me!

Life has its normal ups and downs but I grab them by the balls and deal with them.

I used to read posts and hear stories of years of sobriety and think never! I swear to god if your reading this and think you can't get sober you can! Your life depends on it and what a life it can be.

Good luck to each and everyone of you here. And most of all thank you. Being able to read posts in the middle of the night, on the train, bath and in the oddest of places has been my saviour.
Like a warm sober friend walking with me on my journey. Wishing you all well. Leigh x

Boxer 06-26-2015 06:14 PM

Congratulations FoolsGold!:You_Rock_

least 06-26-2015 06:24 PM

Congrats on the first of many sober years. :scoregood And enjoy that new baby. :)

Hevyn 06-26-2015 06:40 PM

Reading of your triumph made me so happy, Leigh. Wonderful news that you have a year sober. Life will keep getting even better.

getright15 06-26-2015 06:46 PM

Such a great story. I'm just getting started after many failed attempts. I need this to work out.