Notices

The elusive land of zzzz's

Old 06-26-2015, 04:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The elusive land of zzzz's

Ok, day 17 here for me. After sleeping the first 3 days away, I settled into a pattern of a nice 8-ish hours a night of sleep...but for the past 4 days, I cannot get to sleep . Once I finally get to sleep, I sleep deeply but I am waking up tired from not enough.

I only have coffee first thing in the morning, I am walking/hiking 5 miles each day, so my body is tired. I am keeping busy during the day.

This is driving me crazy - any suggestions? I eat a pretty healthy diet, taking my multi-vitamin, B complex and Omega 3/6 oils. I feel like I just need to be able to sleep, I hate lying there wide awake.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good nutrition, exercise and TIME. I had sleep issues for nearly the first year. These days, I sleep very well.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

3 to 5 mg melatonin 2 hours before you want to go to sleep. Found in the natural supplements section of the drugstore.
Old 06-26-2015, 04:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi.

This is a situation many have. When I finally tried to not thinking about sleep or lack of it things became better but so many things take their time which seems to aggravate the situation.

Years ago the old timers would say “no one ever died from lack of sleep.”
Then again many of us were not using health drinks for a short period of time and it takes time for the body to repair especially the older we are, like it or not.

BE WELL
Old 06-26-2015, 06:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

It takes time for the body mind & soul to adjust to the changes

Keep on keeping on & it will get better congrats on day 17 rome wasnt built in a day
Old 06-26-2015, 06:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

sleepless

Yes - On day 11 here - on edge- panic attacks lessening and so happy to be sober. Not sleeping is better then the pass out sleeping I did for 30 years. Thank you all for being here!
Old 06-26-2015, 06:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I use yoga nidra guided meditations when I can't sleep and they work like a charm for me. I get them off of youtube.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

stretch

yes yoga is helpful. I practice some yoga -and walking is great. Will not pick up today.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:28 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the replies - I guess I need to be patient and wait for sleep to return - I am not good at being patient!

All I want to do today is sleep now! But I am not going to nap in the hope I sleep tonight!
Old 06-26-2015, 11:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey learning again,
sleep issues have been one of the most frustrating things for me in sobriety .
a lot of the time I have to completely cut out caffeine, even green and white teas, but I am extremely sensitive to caffeine so that is just me.
also, magnesium helps A LOT. With more then just sleep.
your body may just be adjusting , have you tried any natural sleep aids or anything like that?
It's easier said then done but even 5 minutes of meditation before bed can help. (Google has a ton of guided meditations for free) a restorative yoga pose can help wonders ....
i think different things work for different people - I've tried lots of different aids, some help a lot, some help a little, and some don't help at all. Dont get discouraged if the first thing doesn't work for you
Old 06-26-2015, 05:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I take melatonin. I would avoid the prescription sleep meds at all costs. I asked my doctor about ambien (had sleep issues my whole life) and he gladly prescribed me ambien. When I quit taking it, the withdrawals were 72 hours of pure hell.
Old 06-26-2015, 05:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I take Melatonin as well and drink Sleepytime Extra tea.