SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   So this is the first step?! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/370421-so-first-step.html)

UhmCeeJayDuh 06-26-2015 03:01 AM

So this is the first step?!

After lots of browsing and reading and reflecting ive decided what ive known all along. That i need to take that first step towards a recovery i know exists cuz ive done it. How long till a recovering meth addict can say day 1 sober??? Like till its out of my system, does any one know

doggonecarl 06-26-2015 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by UhmCeeJayDuh (Post 5439723)
How long till a recovering meth addict can say day 1 sober??? Like till its out of my system, does any one know

I wouldn't get too technical. I was a meth head. I say if you can go 24 hours without using, you are a day clean in my book.

FreeOwl 06-26-2015 03:06 AM

I've never dealt with meth.... but I've put a lot of drugs and alcohol behind me. Day 1 is the day you decide you're done and begin your journey of recovery.... that's my view.

Welcome.

:grouphug:

Soberwolf 06-26-2015 03:07 AM

Welcome UCJD youl find so much support here

UhmCeeJayDuh 06-26-2015 03:14 AM

Thanks

Ive made the decision yes, but i cant bring myself to just throw everything away... Long story short, im holding stuff for a friend thats not mine to throw away, which in turn is just the right amount of excuse i need to not make that official leap i guess... Idk maybe im rambling or just excited to find this support

UhmCeeJayDuh 06-26-2015 03:16 AM

Originally Posted by doggonecarl (Post 5439730)
I wouldn't get too technical. I was a meth head. I say if you can go 24 hours without using, you are a day clean in my book.

It really feels like an hourly thing or is that just me? 3 hours down so far which is saying alot considering the ease of access

doggonecarl 06-26-2015 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by UhmCeeJayDuh (Post 5439745)
Long story short, im holding stuff for a friend thats not mine to throw away, which in turn is just the right amount of excuse i need to not make that official leap i guess...

You won't toss your friends stash, but you'd dip into it? I understand the rational, but not the logic.

One thing I can tell you...if you want to get clean, you are going to have to distance yourself from the life and those in it. Those "so-called" friends. And since you are going to have to say goodbye to this friend to support your recovery, you might as well do what you have to do to get through day one. And if that means throwing away someone's drugs...

ultradad 06-26-2015 04:17 AM

Good luck. Give the stuff to another friend to hold and tell ALL your friends your getting clean!

FreeOwl 06-26-2015 04:18 AM

Originally Posted by doggonecarl (Post 5439804)
You won't toss your friends stash, but you'd dip into it? I understand the rational, but not the logic. One thing I can tell you...if you want to get clean, you are going to have to distance yourself from the life and those in it. Those "so-called" friends. And since you are going to have to say goodbye to this friend to support your recovery, you might as well do what you have to do to get through day one. And if that means throwing away someone's drugs...

I agree.

That's what I found with getting free of coke. I had to get the hell away from it to get away from it.

UhmCeeJayDuh 06-26-2015 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by doggonecarl (Post 5439804)
You won't toss your friends stash, but you'd dip into it? I understand the rational, but not the logic.

One thing I can tell you...if you want to get clean, you are going to have to distance yourself from the life and those in it. Those "so-called" friends. And since you are going to have to say goodbye to this friend to support your recovery, you might as well do what you have to do to get through day one. And if that means throwing away someone's drugs...

Wow crazy how reading exactly what it was i said somehow struck me as "like uhhhhmm yeah really u sound crazy." its sick to me. Im glad to say that after praying and looking at my son and praying some more i got rid of everything i had and sent a group text letting my "friends" know im getting clean. Im kinda freaking out at the thought of withdrawal i just hope i can be strong

UhmCeeJayDuh 06-26-2015 06:38 AM

Thank you everyone for the support. I never knew how much it could help.

site1Q84 06-26-2015 07:05 AM

Glad you made the decision to get sober.

If you've been using a lot and you're worried about withdrawal you should see a doctor. Better to be safe than sorry!

Have you looked up any type of meetings you can go check out to widen your support?

Keep checking in and let us know how you're doing.
There's a lot of support on these pages and it really makes a difference.

UhmCeeJayDuh 06-26-2015 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by site1Q84 (Post 5440038)
Glad you made the decision to get sober.

If you've been using a lot and you're worried about withdrawal you should see a doctor. Better to be safe than sorry!

Have you looked up any type of meetings you can go check out to widen your support?

Keep checking in and let us know how you're doing.
There's a lot of support on these pages and it really makes a difference.

I havent really found any meetings in my area to attend also its like 107° and im without a vehicle or babysitter, now that all sounded like excuses huh, but im keeping my phone charged and staying logged in tried to reach out to family but im "the lost cause" and somewhere in the core of my issues is some family affair i bet. I get bad social anxiety (not an official diagnosis) but i just function best alone if that makes sense.... Probably not huh

biminiblue 06-26-2015 07:50 AM

Welcome, UhmCeeJayDuh.

The social anxiety is greatly exacerbated by drug use and will be intense through withdrawals. But then, it will lessen. That's part of the miracle of getting clean.

We're glad you're here - this forum can be a life-saver. Good decision to take back your life!

site1Q84 06-26-2015 07:54 AM

That makes sense to me. I function better alone too, but I also realized that to stay sober I needed help. That is truly one thing I couldn't do without the support of other people.

Have you ever called a recovery hotline? Good to have if you can't make it to meetings. If you get a bad craving they'll help talk you through it, and they're around 24 hours a day. Sometimes it's even easier for me talking to someone I don't know at all.. Family and friends can be judgmental sometimes.. or at least mine can!

Someone posted this before:

Phone Contacts...

The National Drug and Alcohol Treatment Referral Routing Service available at 1-800-662-HELP. This service can provide you with information about treatment programs in your local community and allow you to speak with someone about alcohol problems

Hopeline-dot-com has free 1-800 line that will connect any caller in the US who needs help to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The number is:

1- 800-784-2433

UhmCeeJayDuh 06-26-2015 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by site1Q84 (Post 5440089)
That makes sense to me. I function better alone too, but I also realized that to stay sober I needed help. That is truly one thing I couldn't do without the support of other people.

Have you ever called a recovery hotline? Good to have if you can't make it to meetings. If you get a bad craving they'll help talk you through it, and they're around 24 hours a day. Sometimes it's even easier for me talking to someone I don't know at all.. Family and friends can be judgmental sometimes.. or at least mine can!

Someone posted this before:

Phone Contacts...

The National Drug and Alcohol Treatment Referral Routing Service available at 1-800-662-HELP. This service can provide you with information about treatment programs in your local community and allow you to speak with someone about alcohol problems

Hopeline-dot-com has free 1-800 line that will connect any caller in the US who needs help to a certified crisis center nearest the caller's location. Services are available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The number is:

1- 800-784-2433

Thank you so much u have no idea well im sure u do but its like i know its gonna be rough but i want it so bad. Def saving those numbers.

MisterChill 06-26-2015 09:20 AM

UCJ, being pretty uncomfortable and passing time has to happen without using. There are no shortcuts. I came off painkillers that I was prescribed for my back. I was on them daily for over a year. I quit before I ran out because I was so tired of the side effects. I tried tapering before that but it prolonged the agony and didn't work out. I finally drew the line and handed the bottle to my wife. It was awful. I mean really bad for a week. Stomach pains non stop, inability to think straight, terrible moods, awful sleep, to name a few.

The hardest thing to get past was the strong physical stuff. Took at least a full week. I don't remember. The mental stuff took 2 months. Never messed with meth but I've seen friends fight through knocking off that, pills, and coke. It's no walk in the park. And there are no easy shortcuts.

If at all possible you should speak with a doctor for sure.

Berrybean 06-26-2015 10:13 AM

You could try online meetings maybe... NA Recovery - Narcotics Anonymous Chat and Online NA Meetings for Drug Addicts

Lots of speaker tapes on youtube as well. NA speaker https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHO7gcoCkdw

Mickey B is pretty good at discussing the first steps... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8MPDBC5Ams

Dl1972ss 06-26-2015 10:17 AM

Stay Strong! In my experience meetings or a hotline to call is best. Meetings got me through my withdrawels. I just sat and listened. You dont have to speak if you dont want to. Hearing others who have walked in similiar shoes makes a huge difference where my family just did not understand! I will keep you in my prayers!

PurpleKnight 06-27-2015 11:55 AM

Welcome to the Forum!! :wave: