SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Instead of drinking I... (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/370377-instead-drinking-i.html)

Calicofish 06-25-2015 10:11 AM

Instead of drinking I...

I reached the 4 month mark yesterday. I'd like to- share some of the things I now do instead of drinking. Please feel free to add your own.

Instead of drinking, I:

- watch the sun set
- walk my dog
- volunteer for activities that get me out in the evenings (I'm volunteering for various festivals)
- dance with my Nintendo wii
- paint old furniture to make it special
- paint on rocks I find at the beach
- walk the beach in the evenings
- go to flea markets
- drive around the country side
- wake up early and walk the beach
- buy old cheeses and eat them
- buy hand made chocolates and eat them
- garden
- mess up my house and then clean it again
- smile because I'm not hungover

least 06-25-2015 10:33 AM

Congrats on reaching four months sober! :scoregood Life is so much better sober. :)

saoutchik 06-25-2015 12:45 PM

Congratulations on 4 months Calico

I used to drink at home, now I spend more time
preparing and cooking food. Plus not being hungover I am able to go out at weekends

FarToGo 06-25-2015 12:52 PM

I walk the dog more, and better walks too. I remember to take my make up off at night. I get up early and get busy around the house before work. I show up for work on time and mostly put in a decent day. I go to the gym more and my workouts are actually making some progress (whilst drinking, the ones I could manage were static). I do some gardening in the evening. I'm available to my daughter in a more real way, I'm available to my daughter in a more practical way (she get's more lifts, cos I'm sober!)
Good and useful post, thanks!
x

Calicofish 06-25-2015 01:21 PM

I've been asked a couple of times now in my new community to volunteer my services for one thing or another. No one here knows that I drank. Now, I was not exactly unreliable when I did drink, but now if someone asks me if I can volunteer my time - I don't have to wonder whether I will be hungover. I can say - sure. I'd be glad to help. It won't matter what time of day it is.

Another benefit of not drinking. :-)
CF

nyala 06-25-2015 01:43 PM

4 months - Well done you !

Specifically, right now I spent half an hour working out the bass line to " I want you back" by the Jackson Five, then playing it on piano and bass guitar, finally managing to sing along ( almost ).

45 minutes of pure child-like effort, then delight !

This sort of thing never happened in the evenings before. I claimed ( ridiculously, I now see ) that I didn't have the time.

19 days and a much better man for it.

Thank you for this thread

Fradley :)

Calicofish 06-25-2015 01:51 PM

Fradley - Good for you! When I first quit drinking and the anxiety was horrible, I did scales on my guitar just to keep my mind occupied. I've been trying to pick out the notes, by ear, for "Dueling Banjos". :-)

CF

saoutchik 06-25-2015 02:01 PM

That's great that your volunteering Calico - I feel like I ought to but I work long hours sometimes and worry that I would leave people in the lurch. Might see if I can help with administration or something that is flexible

Soberwolf 06-25-2015 02:09 PM

Awesome achievement bud

Dharma33 06-25-2015 02:12 PM

Great post, Calico!!

Elodie 06-25-2015 02:20 PM

Congrats on 4 months! Those are some fun activities - maybe I'll try painting!

Dee74 06-25-2015 02:41 PM

a great list Calicofish :)

mine would be 'I live' :)

congrats on 4 months :)

D

Debbie329 06-25-2015 07:24 PM

When I tried to get sober years ago.....I went to painting classes.....and art museums. That was fun! Maybe I'll do that again.....

Ruby2 06-25-2015 08:07 PM

Congrats on four months! That's great.

Instead of drinking, I eat my calories
I never call in sick to work anymore
I don't cancel things at the last minutes citing some stupid and lame excuse "the cat's sick, I'm sick, the kids are sick."
I care when my house is messy and then do something about it.
I pay my bills on time and have money to pay them.

All sorts of stuff.

SoberLife90 06-25-2015 08:22 PM

Well just today I went to work because now that im sober I have a job. After that I went to my aunts house amd helped her plant a bush. Later on in the day I went to a meditation with my AA sponsor and went over my 8th step. I made amends with my mother for something I did from the past and went to the gym. Today was a great day because I didn't pick up that drink or drug!

Mags1 06-25-2015 08:27 PM

Congratulations on 4 months Calicofish.

It's true, we've got so much more time now we're 'awake' and not drunk or hungover.

Buggirl 06-25-2015 10:03 PM

Congrats! Awesome!

Zaec 06-25-2015 11:14 PM

Congratulations on 4 months. You are inspiring :You_Rock_

Instead of drinking, I am present in my everyday life.
I play with my kids, I listen to them, I carry them, I laugh with them, I cook them dinner, we play board games together.
I lay next to my husband on the couch watching movies, with a cup of tea.
I take a shower (yeah those were on a need to basis before)
I take my makeup off... well to be fair... when I was hungover I never really put any makeup on because.... uhm I'm tired...
I do my hair
Shape my eyebrows
Think about healthy recipes
Went back to school so looking forward to a new semester.
Do my job when at work!!! I mean...
Had some Hot Chocolate the other day and was like mmmmmhhh that's good
I pray more with focus

Now the one thing I want to add to that list soon is exercise. I have not had the energy but I can feel it picking up. Focusing on being sober for another week and then I will try again. I have tried but the next day I was just too tired.

Thank you for an awesome thread!!!

MelindaFlowers 06-25-2015 11:22 PM

I think of this every day.

Instead of drinking I can do whatever I want, whenever I want.

I am no longer a slave in my home after 5 pm, either slurring and stumbling around or passed out. Or blacked out.

I am no longer a slave to daily hangovers.

Behan 06-26-2015 01:45 AM

Well done Calicofish!! Great achievement and such a positive message for others.

To add to the list, I:

-watch films and remember them afterwards
-am slowly able to actually read a book
-have conversations without offending anyone, and remember them afterwards!!

B