Notices

Newbie Weekender Sober Thread June 25 until

Old 06-26-2015, 02:52 PM
  # 141 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

SoberP... thank you!!!!!

Are you ready for another sober weasel vacation? Well... then buckle in peoples!!!

K
Old 06-26-2015, 03:04 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Well I go away and the thread grows and grows. Lola, I think your plans sound good. I think I'd feel like you do with the "cool kid clique" meeting. That's no fun.

Casey good job!

Congrats Weas. That's big.

Saoutchik, that seems rather cryptic on location. Hmm.

We went driving to an old church/cemetery. The area around it is forest. Gorgeous and surprising that it's twenty minutes from my parent's house. It is hilly and giant trees. After wandering around we went miniature golfing (I won) and then for tacos. The restaurant must make most of their money on alcohol. Ads everywhere and signs all over the walls.

Now resting at my parents for a bit. Raining here. I want some of tetra's cheesecake.
Old 06-26-2015, 03:05 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Thank you Hippo.
Old 06-26-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Very cool Sober-P

My story is very similar. But it took a life changing event for me to want to quit. And I did. And I'm never going back.

I think it's neat you want to get your dogs their own boat. I doubt they'll be able to get back on themselves after they decide to jump in. And I think you are going to spend an awful lot of time trying to help them back in the boat - assuming they want back.

Years ago I was canoeing on the Delaware near the border of new york. My lab decided he wanted to jump in after some ducks. I think about a quarter mile down river I finally caught up to him and got him to the bank so I could load his ass back in the canoe.

I vote for a paddle board for the dogs. You can still tow it and they can get back on more easily. Find a cheap one. They're very stable and I've seen dogs on them before.

Welp, it takes about 5 minutes to be sweating profusely outside. Slowly digging and planting. Cut grass etc. I have a flat of marigolds to place throughout and some other flowers to plant. I just cut two bouquets. One for the table and one for the wife at her study location. I remember that when I took the MMPI about a dozen times I would always answer yes to 'would I like the job of a florist'.
I didn't say yes to do I like to kill small animals because I couldn't qualify my answer with, "Only if they cook up good."
Old 06-26-2015, 03:13 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

LBrain and me at the PETA table.
Old 06-26-2015, 03:14 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  

This moth was on the ground in front of my brother's bushes. It's the size of my hand. It was cool
Old 06-26-2015, 03:17 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post

This moth was on the ground in front of my brother's bushes. It's the size of my hand. It was cool
Oh, Ruby! It had just "hatched". You're very lucky. You won't see that perfection of form again. Antheraea polyphemus.
Old 06-26-2015, 03:25 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  

outstanding Ruby! It looks like one of Carlotta's indifferent cat faces.
Old 06-26-2015, 03:27 PM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Good thought on the just hatching. I didn't think of that. It had a small hole on one of it's wings so I thought it was injured. Thanks. I saw it fly away. Amazing.
Old 06-26-2015, 03:31 PM
  # 150 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I once found a just hatched luna moth. On the ground. Perfect form. Just drying out to be able to fly. You don't get to see them often.
Old 06-26-2015, 03:39 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  

No, moths are tough to spot but they're out there. I'd like to see a Luna. We had the "hummingbird" moths in the yard a couple of summers ago. I kept seeing them and thought they were the actual bird. Then I read that it was a big year for the moth. Couldn't get a picture though
Old 06-26-2015, 03:48 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Plant lantana if you want more hummingbird moths. Giant swallowtails love lantana, too.
Old 06-26-2015, 03:49 PM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DonTolan47 View Post
Thank you Hippo.
Hi and welcome I see you're only 20 posts in, and haven't seen you on the threads before.

Welcome to SR
Old 06-26-2015, 03:50 PM
  # 154 (permalink)  

I think I'll do that. I like lantana. My few milkweed plants are thriving so I'll have monarch butterflies too.
Old 06-26-2015, 03:50 PM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Speaking of hummingbirds ... I think I figured out why I don't have any yet. Cats. I'm guessing my furry friends are running them off.
Old 06-26-2015, 03:52 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
I think it's neat you want to get your dogs their own boat. I doubt they'll be able to get back on themselves after they decide to jump in. And I think you are going to spend an awful lot of time trying to help them back in the boat - assuming they want back.

Years ago I was canoeing on the Delaware near the border of new york. My lab decided he wanted to jump in after some ducks. I think about a quarter mile down river I finally caught up to him and got him to the bank so I could load his ass back in the canoe.

I vote for a paddle board for the dogs. You can still tow it and they can get back on more easily. Find a cheap one. They're very stable and I've seen dogs on them before.
That's good info. Thanks, LBrain I've told my husband. We'll keep this in mind.

You know, I bet the dogs would be more likely to stay in the kayaks if they are on the kayaks with us. If they're separated, they'd probably jump in and swim to us anyway. We got the new kayaks because they hold more weight than our old ones, so that we can take the dogs along. He is thinking of putting some type of flat surface in to customize a seat for the dogs so they won't slide around.
Old 06-26-2015, 03:53 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

That would do it potomas
Old 06-26-2015, 04:00 PM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
outstanding Ruby! It looks like one of Carlotta's indifferent cat faces.
LB's right. Fixed it.

Old 06-26-2015, 04:00 PM
  # 159 (permalink)  

This is not chronologically in order here, but congrats to all the gay Americans who now have the right to do what everyone else can. So much has changed since I was a kid. I remember when it was ILLEGAL to be gay! WTH? And it was considered to be a mental illness until the early 70s. My mother was friends with a gay man back in the day and it was so sad to see how he had to hide all the time. Now, things are so different! We are finally getting a clue!
Old 06-26-2015, 04:01 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Cute SB!