Notices

Newbie Weekender Sober Thread June 25 until

Old 06-26-2015, 11:09 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  

I've got a good weekend planned. Tomorrow I'm going out boating and to the Toronto Islands to chill, as long as the weather cooperates. If not I'll get all the domestic crap done. Then Sunday is the big gay pride parade so I'm going to go and check that out. Do some dancing in the streets!!
Old 06-26-2015, 11:28 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Who's a first class american citizen? This guy is! WOO HOO!
Woo hoo! USA USA!!!!!
Old 06-26-2015, 11:30 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  
...holds the key

yay weasel!

Sounds fun zen.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:44 AM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Who's a first class american citizen? This guy is! WOO HOO!
Cool man! Congrats!
Old 06-26-2015, 12:24 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  

The early afternoon air is crystal clear and I'm enjoying this view off my rooftop patio. Love the shadows the high clouds make on the volcano's green surface. Just a couple more hours and I will be free to enjoy a great sober Friday afternoon. No drama, no regrets, no hangovers!

Edited to add: Great to hear the news regarding Gay Rights back in the States. So nice to see the USA leading the way on a progressive issue for a change!
Old 06-26-2015, 12:28 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

I am relaxing now my son is back from camp - he got a whole bag of goodies and a new fishing rod, so is a happy boy!
Old 06-26-2015, 12:51 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Whoopeee!!
It's the weekend!
Have to work tomorrow.
In penalty box for last week's vacation.
GAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!
Attached Images
File Type: gif
ezgif.com-resize(2).gif (75.5 KB, 49 views)
Old 06-26-2015, 01:01 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  
Re-Member

A day late but I'm jumping on the bus too!

Day 50 here. Hope everyone is doing great!
Old 06-26-2015, 01:05 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 50 CaseyW!! I am cooking an early dinner, pasta and creamy alfredo sauce, per son's request! Bit early but he is convinced he is dying of starvation. Once his dad picks him up, I plan on chilling out and watching something on netflix. Legs are really aching from our mega hill hike yesterday, so might also have a nice warm Jacuzzi bath
Old 06-26-2015, 01:15 PM
  # 130 (permalink)  

BigS - I so love your pictures. They're always just breathtaking. I can't wait until I have a porch view like that someday!
Old 06-26-2015, 01:19 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  

I'm "off work" early today Let the weekend begin ... woohoo!

We are headed to the store to pick up my new kayak. After my husband got his new fishing kayak, he was determined to find me a better one too Sweet guy. So, I have a lime green 10 footer now. We are selling my orange/yellow 8 footer on Craigslist. We're also looking at small kids kayaks for a short one for the dogs. We thought of putting the dogs in their own boat and tying it to mine or his. My idea, not his He thinks it's silly. Oh well. Lucy did great out on the water last year, so now it's time to see how Katie likes it
Old 06-26-2015, 01:28 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  
Do your best

Big congrats for Casey reaching 50 days
Old 06-26-2015, 01:29 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Finally home. Congratulations Weasel on the citizenship!!
Way to go Casey on 50 days
Time for a nap now
Old 06-26-2015, 01:31 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

Congrats, Ken
Old 06-26-2015, 01:39 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Soberpotamus, a new kayak sounds awesome! You'll have to let us know how your first trip in it goes. And the dogs! There is nothing I love more than dogs around water. They just get so excited! If they like it, that is
If you get them their own kayak you HAVE to take pictures. I think it's a great idea.
Old 06-26-2015, 01:41 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
Edited to add: Great to hear the news regarding Gay Rights back in the States. So nice to see the USA leading the way on a progressive issue for a change!
Haha they're actually way behind! Canada has had marriage equality for a very long time...
Old 06-26-2015, 01:52 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by site1Q84 View Post
If you get them their own kayak you HAVE to take pictures. I think it's a great idea.
Glad someone thinks so I sure will take pics!

They have life vests so they're all set. Lucy went in the canoe last year and loved it.
Old 06-26-2015, 02:04 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Lets dedicate this thread to helping the newest of our SR clan make a weekend sober, fun and share how those of us with some time have done it.
I wanted to comment for the newbs how I did it over two years ago.

I started out with IOP for twenty days. My choice. No one made me do it The group therapy was what I liked most about IOP. That helped me tremendously.

I did SR, of course. I read lots of books on recovery. I went to some meetings - both AA and Women For Sobriety. I started working out regularly: running and weightlifting. I started taking some vitamins. Later on I started meditating. Started out with five minutes and now I do a 20-30 session typically. I participate in the Gratitude threads. That's super important, in my opinion. There are studies done showing that people who write out what they are grateful for on a regular basis actually improve in specific areas (can't remember the details, but just Google it). Also, there are tons of studies on meditation and how they think it changes your brain. I think that's important for early recovery in general. I ate ice-cream and sugar early on, still do, but not as much. I cap my coffee at 2-3 cups per day. I drink enough water and get enough sleep. I eat healthy without being a health nut

So, that's pretty much it in a nutshell. Oh, I adopted my Beagles a year into recovery. I also started growing plants and gardening a year and a half in.

My freelance writing business is better these days. I am writing more consistently. I can handle stress, deadlines, shopping in stores. I handle all our finances, keeping up with the details using spreadsheets and some online software. So I know exactly how much money we have, where it goes, who we owe, etc. Trying to get our finances back in shape. It will take a while to become debt free, but that's the plan!

I'm currently studying for the GRE as well. I'd like to finish my education. I am facing some really tough decisions. I don't talk much about it, because it's one of those things no one can really help me with at this point. I just have to make the choice and do it.

So, to all the newbs ... don't drink, no matter what! Use tools like "playing the tape through", distraction, substitution, whatever you can to get through the early days ... things do get better, you'll start really liking the new sober you soon You won't WANT to go back to drinking! Life is much more interesting sober I promise!
Old 06-26-2015, 02:20 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing your tremendous journey SP!!!! Very inspiring!
Old 06-26-2015, 02:43 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Thanks for sharing, hippo. I love hearing how people quit and stayed quit. Inspiring!