Notices

Newbie Weekender Sober Thread June 25 until

Old 06-28-2015, 05:34 AM
  # 381 (permalink)  

Wow site - looks so peaceful.

Brain - nothing like a meatloaf song to define things! He of the longest titles and longest songs! Had many a drunken night in university yelling along! Oh and I am 35 - way too old for behaving like a teenager!
Old 06-28-2015, 05:42 AM
  # 382 (permalink)  

Wow siteIQ how gorgeous is that?!

Weasel hope you feel better, being sick is the worst!

learning good stuff on the date with Mr Firefighter!

Woke up this morning and I'm thinking about all the drinking I've done over the years and just how bad it was at times. I had a tendency to minimize and justify and to forget. I guess that is part of the sickness of addiction..... what it does to the mind. I'm kinda of beating myself up a bit over it..... there's a lot of regret and yes shame. I realize that both aren't useful as there's nothing I can do to change or take back what happened, but I still wish I could. Sorry to be a drag.
Old 06-28-2015, 05:50 AM
  # 383 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Poor Weasel

Old 06-28-2015, 05:52 AM
  # 384 (permalink)  

Zenchaser just because we have changed our direction and cannot change the past does not mean it does not affect us. Allow the thoughts and process then move on. It is really rough and I sometimes think things subconsciously trigger memories. Today I am cringing thinking of all my stupid drunken dates in the past. Cannot change it, but hopefully process and the thoughts will stop
Old 06-28-2015, 06:01 AM
  # 385 (permalink)  

Beautiful Site!
Old 06-28-2015, 06:04 AM
  # 386 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
Poor Weasel
You kill me trach!!!

Throat feels a lot better. This is what happened yesterday. Day is ok but there. Night gets real bad. Guess I should go see why.

How you doing Mr. Trach? Things in your neck ok?
Old 06-28-2015, 06:08 AM
  # 387 (permalink)  

Thanks learning.

It's supposed to rain here all day...... not so sure about going out to the Pride Parade and dancing in the rain lol. If it was sunny with a chance of rain that would be one thing.... but all day rain? Sucks I was looking forward to it. The group I'm going with will say, "So what? We'll hang out in the bars." But I don't drink and it's a bad idea for me to go out to bars. I haven't told anyone except you guys and my bf about my decision. It's none of their business.

But c'est la vie! These are the realities of getting and staying sober right?
Old 06-28-2015, 06:47 AM
  # 388 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone. Weas, I'm glad you're feeling somewhat better. Hopefully it passes quickly and doesn't muck up any plans for your week off.

Beautiful photos Site and Weas. Thank you for sharing them.

Mecanix, I loved your account of the restaurant and description of the goings on around you. And hope that year two will get better. I'm plugging away, one day at a time, towards that promised land.

Zen, I think it's a wise choice to avoid the bars. Getting caught up in all that always brings my guard down.

Learning, the date sounds promising. Slow and steady with focus on you. I'm one of those all or nothing people and it has led me to some silly decisions.

I'm dithering over getting rid of stuff. Clothes. But what if I need them? What if? What if? I just have to do it. I was going to try things on and get rid of stuff that doesn't fit but that isn't working. I've been lucky enough to have remained roughly the same size for my entire adult life. Blast it. And I still don't know who's picking my kids up from camp. My mother will do it but isn't keen and my dad is mad about it. Time to be less of a procrastinator.

Church coffee hour today and then nothing planned. Kids clamoring for all sorts of activities. I don't know.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:53 AM
  # 389 (permalink)  

Ruby - I am exactly the same with clothes! My closet is filled with things I never wear!

And yes, I need to try slow and steady. I think he is a jump in and worry later type (which makes sense as a firefighter) so I need to be clear headed. He is on for 48 right now, so I have a few days to be calm and think before any possibility of seeing him again.

I wish I could just be a relaxed person about things!
Old 06-28-2015, 07:10 AM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Ruby, I went through my stuff not too long ago and got rid of anything I hadn't worn in a year, or anything where I couldn't remember the last time I wore it. After that my new rule is that I won't buy anything unless I'm going to wear it the number of times that it costs in dollars. $40? Will I wear it 40 times?
It's really helped me as I tend to over shop and then never actually wear any of it. I hate having all that clutter around as well.

It's also a tax write off for the stuff you donate, so keep a list!
Old 06-28-2015, 07:18 AM
  # 391 (permalink)  

A month ago on a typical Sunday : Sit next to my computer with a bottle of wine and countless tins of beer. Dreading Monday and the coming hangover.

THIS SUNDAY : I woke up, went to a car wash. While they washed my car I went and had a coke zero and eagerly admired the "talents" of the girls playing indoor volleyball.

Then I drove to the golf driving range and hit a bucket of balls. After that I stopped at the local hockey (outdoor) club and introduced myself and signed up for practice and game coming this week.

Then I went to the library and got some books, then popped into the mall next door to buy some new hockey stuff eye out what new fridge I am going to buy myself with all my spare money.

Finally I came home and just came back from a nice 5km walk. After doing some laundry, I plan to catch up on the show "suits" (which I have 4 seasons of) and get an early nights rest.

I can't wait for what challenges and rewards tomorrow (Monday) brings.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:19 AM
  # 392 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
You kill me trach!!!

Throat feels a lot better. This is what happened yesterday. Day is ok but there. Night gets real bad. Guess I should go see why.

How you doing Mr. Trach? Things in your neck ok?
I'm maintaining. That's all I'm claiming right now.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:24 AM
  # 393 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by learningagain View Post
I will have to look for those! I am only just getting comfortable shopping in the USA. For starters the sizes are completely different from the UK, and then you have to figure out which stores stock the type of clothing you like and in the right cut!
Ah sometimes it's great to be a man. I shop for clothes like i do for fruit. Except maybe I only do it once every change of season.

Start at the back of a store that I assume is at the fore of what's meant to be fashionable (I let them bother about the details) and walk down the store "Ok one of these, a few of those, maybe one of these...oh yes I don't have one of this !" etc

In out in 5 minutes and done for a few months.

I've spent the better part of entire days outside changing rooms with girlfriends shopping for a single pair of jeans. My hyperbole and adjectives of "wonder and perfection" increasing in magnitude with each garment in faint hope of convincing them they have wondered upon the perfect bum flattering piece of denim ...to end the torture.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:27 AM
  # 394 (permalink)  

Congrats to Brain on 18 months!!
Old 06-28-2015, 07:30 AM
  # 395 (permalink)  

LBrain that is fantastic!!
Old 06-28-2015, 07:33 AM
  # 396 (permalink)  

Woo hoo!! Go Lbrain!
Old 06-28-2015, 07:33 AM
  # 397 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by mcfearless View Post
Ah sometimes it's great to be a man.
You're kidding, right? It's always GREAT to be a man!
Old 06-28-2015, 07:35 AM
  # 398 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ArtFriend View Post
Yeah they expire after 30!
No, from there we mature like fine .....oh wait.....maybe not the right place for that comparative.
Old 06-28-2015, 07:36 AM
  # 399 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trachemys View Post
You're kidding, right? It's always GREAT to be a man!
Well except that we get man flu.

If you draw a graph of unimaginable torment and turture, going shopping for jeans for your girlfriend being sort of a entry level at the bottom of the graph of horror. The graph would increase through trivial mere unpleasant nuisances like "doing your taxes" and "child birth"... ramping quickly up to catching your finger in a door..then right up to the serious stuff like having your finger nails pulled out or watching "keeping up with the kardashians" etc....but above that....well, well above that, right at the very summit of mount suffering, cuddled up in his bed with a look of sheer misery, is a lone pitiful, broken being ..... there he is... looking down in envy at how good the rest have it..... a poor male soul.... with man flu.

That said, it's great to be alive ! (When you don't have man flu, cause then it sucks.)
Old 06-28-2015, 07:52 AM
  # 400 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Well, friend, you need help. Lot's of therapy, maybe some electroshock.

I'm happy I can pee standing.