Notices

Newbie Weekender Sober Thread June 25 until

Old 06-26-2015, 07:27 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by Soberpotamus View Post
No coffee in it, Carlotta? Still sounds delicious.
I wonder if it would work if we replaced the cup of milk with a cup of coffee... like a mochaccino I guess.
I am heading to the store to get some chocolate syrup and also some lemons for lemonade. It's going to hit the 90's tomorrow and the next few days and aside from a couple of work meetings, I have some time off.
Speaking of lemonade

Old 06-26-2015, 07:28 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  

Lmao!
Old 06-26-2015, 07:32 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  

OK ~

That Pic that Sao posted is mighty interesting. The Fotog's name, which I didn't Bookmark, is Dutch fo sho. No other spelling like 'em. So, I'm wondering: why would this Infrastructure even exist?

We were in an Amsterdam Park a few Decades ago. There was this small Telephone Pole with various marks and years on it. The infamous 1953 Flood Water Level was a good ~15' above us. Stick yo Head between yo Legs... That North Sea Storm Catastrophe led to some magnificent Engineering, as realized in the Zuiderzee.

Now, it takes some serious Excavation and Concrete to create the Pivot Point for these movable Dike Sections. Given the appearance of the Land, and the kinda-Hazy Sky in the Pic, I'll venture to say that Cantilevered Structure is in The Netherlands. Besides the Dutch Photographer, the aging Masonry Wall around the bottom tells me it's some disused Structure. Maybe some old Flood Control bit on which someone cobbled together the Structure up top? Perhaps an old Timer who lived through some of their pre-1953 Floods wanted a Survival Shed above Flood Water?

In other News, I've been meaning to post a classic Ant Population-reduction strategy. Mix 1/2 Sugar and 1/2 Baking Soda in a small, dry Jar Lid, and set it out. Ants can't boof. They eat this mixture, and the gassy Baking Soda causes them to 'explode' internally, and fatally. Fatality by pharting.

The Munchkin Mayor, who just passed away a few years ago, was also Wiener Mascot 'Little Oscar'. A High School Pal met him. He got both his Autograph, and an Oscar Meyer Wiener Whistle when the one-and-only 'Wiener Mobile' stopped in our Town in the '60s.

Some Theme Music for any Diminutive Dames here. Irony intended...

- Zuiderzee Project -

- 'Short People' ~ Randy Newman -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Cantilevered House.jpg (31.6 KB, 61 views)
Old 06-26-2015, 07:37 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  

I didn't see Carlotta's post. I drove to turkey hill - they still have 2 for 5 bucks but they were out of my flavor. I asked them to go into the back to check for columbian coffee - nope, so I got 2 black cherry!

okay a twofer... I got to see Robin Trower in San Fransisco around 84/85 for the first time. suggest you go out and find the bridge of sighs album. Honest.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:23 PM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Little people? Della. Maybe I shouldn't post pics of my daughters Lego elf treehouse creation that we just finished.

Kids in bed. Busy morning for us. Gymnastics class for daughter. Son has a birthday party at 10 a.m. I have to shop and plan what I'm serving for coffee hour after church on Sunday.

BigS, enjoy your trip and visit with your grandmother. It's great that you can go.

A mosquito just landed on me. In the house. Rotten younger cat shredding the screens. I don't know how I'm going to get them mended. They don't appear to pop out like the old ones did.

So, only two more days of this break remaining. Rats
Old 06-26-2015, 08:37 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  
...holds the key

I've discovered that for me the anticipation of a vacation is half the fun. Maybe that's weird. I like having something to look forward to.

My musical horizons are always broadened reading this thread. Thanks y'all!

Hope you feel better BigS.

Raining here. Plain chocolate ice cream with caramel sauce tonight. I got an ice cream maker a few years ago as a gift but I've never used it.....think I'll try it Sunday. Recipes welcome!
Old 06-26-2015, 08:43 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Save me a seat!

th-4.jpeg
Old 06-27-2015, 12:36 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Morning all,

Sitting in bed with a coffee catching up with you all, moths and kayaks and ice cream.

I baked sea bass in the oven, which went down well. Watched a few bands at Glastonbury before getting an early night.

We are heading to a car boot sale early, then I have us booked for a victorian tea!

I hope you all have a great day ahead. Looks like the weather is improving here.

B
Old 06-27-2015, 12:37 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard Dharma!
Old 06-27-2015, 12:56 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Saturday morning coffee is happening ,
I hope everyone got through last night , it's a new day today we get to try again ..
I heard Tracey Emmin say the other day on an interview i was watching , "children learn not by dropping but by picking up again … "

LoL …. so i mean by this , pick up your sobriety again , learn from it , keep on learning
relapse isn't recovery , falling off a bike isn't cycling .
Become better practised in skilful recovery and cycling

lets do this today , i'm in for today ,

m
Old 06-27-2015, 01:36 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

morning! Up extra early to take a long walk into town. Start of my vacation and I wanted to kick it off right.

Catch you all later!!
Old 06-27-2015, 02:02 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Stayed up way too late watching movies. Time for bed: it's 2 am here
Old 06-27-2015, 02:06 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Happy Saturday, everyone!

Ruby that moth is beautiful! I'm so glad you got a shot of it.

I'm tired, but nothing I can do until my day off Monday. Really looking forward to a nap then!
I'm jealous reading about all your delicious ice creams. I need to get on that train here soon! Mint Chocolate Chip is my favorite.
Old 06-27-2015, 03:23 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good research MesaMan. I took the photo from a british website called insuranceclaims.co.uk but it just has a series of pics with jokey captions, no info. I've posted another pic from the same site which I have actually seen (it's in a suburb of Oxford) and is well known nationally.

I have driven along the road that runs atop the barrier that encloses the Isselmeer (formerly the Zuider Zee). It is disconcerting to be on a road that is so far out to sea. My ex wife is from Essex (and coincidentally is related to Robin Trower) in 1953 before she was born 4 members of here grand mothers family were killed in the floods which hit Canvey Island badly. They have marker posts there too which indicate the high water mark
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20150627_110304.jpg (41.9 KB, 48 views)
Old 06-27-2015, 03:56 AM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Walked 6 miles to have tommy coffee time. Will be 6 miles back if a cab doesn't come along and save me.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:13 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Bit late but I'm in!
Old 06-27-2015, 04:15 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Weasel..."tommy coffee time"?
Old 06-27-2015, 04:18 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  

Trach. My friend tommy in town.

Wow just saw tomorrow is only a high of 59 and rain all day. Cooking and movies!!!!
Old 06-27-2015, 04:43 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  

Sounds like a good Sunday to me, Weasel!

My day off Monday it's supposed to be 65 and raining, which I would love! A day in bed with some movies or a tv marathon sounds perfect.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:50 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Gotcha, Weasel.

Back when I had them, I used to have friends over for Soup and a Movie Sunday. That was in the vcr days. I made some awesome soups.