Notices

Stress

Old 07-16-2015, 06:32 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Eventually a fuse just blows in your head is what I picture happening. Then everyone can laugh.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:55 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks! I would also like to recommend Cognitive Behavioral Therapy if you really have a stress-problem.
Old 08-29-2016, 02:00 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Dee linked to this in a post responding to a different thread. I figured it was worth a bump - there's been some handy reading. Thank you, Dee.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:00 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks, Dee.

I am glad I found this today, AFTER a stressful day yesterday. I see the right things I did to handle it.

A friend of mine- who I was supposed to meet for lunch yesterday - texted me just as I was going into my 930 AA mtg, planning to meet her after....that she was going back inpatient. Yesterday.

We met at the big clubhouse we go to, and she was a big cheerleader for me as went through steps 4 and 5. Which incidentally was the topic of yesterday's meeting. All kinds of thoughts and emotions went through my head and heart about my friend- and my own recovery.

As the rest of my day unfolded I got through it using a lot of tools above.

Saving this for future reference of a time I used this stuff and a reminder to future self!
Old 03-31-2017, 04:06 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Deep breathing calms you down because brain cells spy on your breath

Breathing deeply reverse engineers your mood by tricking your brain cells into thinking you are calm

Sarah Knapton, Science Editor, The Telegraph UK

30 March 2017 • 7:02pm

Taking a deep breath really does calm you down by triggering neurons in your brain which tell the body it is time to relax, a new study has found.

Researchers at Stanford University School of Medicine and the University of California have identified 175 brain cells which spy on the breath and alter state of mind accordingly.

For thousands of years yoga students have been taught that controlling their breathing can bring a sense of calm, while it is a well known truism that taking a few deep breaths can lower rage. But until now nobody knew why it worked.

The new study suggests that it is indeed possible to reverse engineer your mood simply by altering breathing.

“If something’s impairing or accelerating your breathing, you need to know right away,” said Dr Mark Krasnow, professor of biochemistry at the University of California.

“These 175 neurons, which tell the rest of the brain what’s going on, are absolutely critical.”

Neurons in the brain are constantly watching what your breath is doing

The neurons which link breathing to to relaxation, attention, excitement and anxiety are located deep in the brainstem. They can pick up on the differences in sighing, yawning, gasping, sleeping, laughing and sobbing.

When scientists genetically engineered mice so that the neurons which pick up excited breathing were absent, the animals were far calmer.

The investigators concluded that rather than regulating breathing, the neurons were spying on it instead and reporting their finding to another structure in the brainstem.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:14 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GroundhogDay View Post
Thank you, Dee! I've got avoidance down cold, but am currently working on "change how I see the situation."
This is something I need to work on.
A lot of aspects of school stress me out and I need to try re-frame many of those things as learning and growth opportunities... They truly are that, but I am just in a mindset of "I'm not a good student, school stresses me out". And so it goes.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:17 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
F*** the Zero

had a quick read and saw some eye opening advice. ive bookmarked for tomorrow

thanks Dee, as always.
Old 03-31-2017, 04:19 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

A favorite breathing technique of mine before meditation or when stressed is to breathe in for a count of 8, hold for a count of 4, blow out through your mouth til the air is all out. Do this 4 times.
Old 03-31-2017, 05:35 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Awesome info. Wish they would have taught me that breathing technique at Zig Ziglar years ago. It would have done wonders for my blood pressure over the years.
Old 01-13-2018, 11:37 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Mr

Glad I navigated to here
Great info
Old 10-16-2019, 12:16 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

I added another article to the list about 'helpful stress'...

Stress is a normal experience when we have a challenging event. We can experience stress when learning something new, starting a new job or being in a race.

Our experience of “stress” is actually our body getting us ready to take on the challenge. A stress response is helpful as it can increase oxygen to the brain and improve attention, focus, energy and determination.

The runner in a race needs to be “stressed” to compete successfully. The young person sitting in an exam room needs it too.

https://theconversation.com/dont-cal...r-marks-124517

D
Old 10-16-2019, 12:22 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Could I add another link please? It’s for the app on www.foundationforpositivementalhealth.com.

If you use the user name Incnat and password ‘positive’, the premium tracks download for free
Old 10-16-2019, 03:31 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Gosh, I am remembering what I learned so many years ago: eustress vs distress.
This is magic info....thank you so much Dee, and all of you. s