SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Help, I really want a drink (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/370332-help-i-really-want-drink.html)

Cleomie 06-24-2015 03:14 PM

Help, I really want a drink

I've almost got 90 days and have found a great AA group, but for some reason today I've just hit a wall. I've been fantasizing about getting drunk, just that euphoric release and escape. I'm 49 and am thinking sh**t, the kids are about gone, I'd like to celebrate now that life is getting a little easier.
I've been reading a lot of drinking memories. Currently I'm reading Blackout which is good. Normally reading these books just confirms my decision to be sober. But today I really want a bottle of wine.
I know I'd be so depressed in the morning.
Please give me some encouragement, SR family.

sva777 06-24-2015 03:24 PM

Hi, I am in the same boat as you, fairly new to recovery and I sometimes fantasize about having a drink. I know I can't have just one though and I just try and remember how bad the hangover and withdrawals were. It's tough but it goes away, just tell yourself "do I want to celebrate with this poison which might make me feel good for a couple hours only to suffer the agony of the after effects all over again?".

Celebrate by waking up sober tomorrow. *hugs

Saskia 06-24-2015 03:29 PM

Yes, some times are tougher than others! When I have a craving, i "think it through to the end" - which means I think about how I will feel taking the first sip (a high) and on to drinking too much, waking up with a miserable hangover, feeling rotten physically the next day, followed by the psychic misery after that. By the time I get to the end, the craving is gone.

Dee74 06-24-2015 03:31 PM

Hi Cleomie - it's actually pretty common to feel a little wobbly around 90 days - it's long enough for us to forget the really bad stuff about drinking and not quite long enough for us to see the full benefits of staying sober.

I often confused abstinence for control. I'd start thinking 'I feel really good and I haven't had a drink in months - maybe I'm a normal drinker now...?'

nope. :)

Stay with it Cleomie. Look back to your earliest posts here if you need more persuading to stay sober :)

D

Cleomie 06-24-2015 04:35 PM

Thank you sva, Saskia, and Dee for your encouragement. I pushed thru, and didn't succumb to the temptation. I have to remember HALT too, because at the time I was a combination of Hungry, Angry, Lonely, and Tired, and I was feeling very vulnerable. I'm going to hit the hay early tonite, and put this day behind me. Thank you again for your encouragement.

Anna 06-24-2015 04:41 PM

Cleomie good for you for getting through that. And, good that you recognized that you were a bit off-balance.

least 06-24-2015 05:23 PM

:) :) :)

:hug:

~Lia~ 06-24-2015 05:34 PM

Good job. You talked your way out of it. I am 10 months sober and still get those urges to drink. Someone on here said a quote (don't remember who) but: play the tape all the way through.

Sure that first drink sounds fabulous. But then what?

I can't believe now that I am sober that people are actually ok with 1 or 2 glasses of wine. That would never be enough for me! I need to drink until blackout or pass out. Then cue the shame, remorse and guilt.

thomas11 06-24-2015 05:37 PM

Hi Cleaomie, great idea to post before you popped the cork. Glad it has passed. It would have been a shame to put a blemish on those 90 hard earned days. Wishing you the best.

sva777 06-24-2015 08:39 PM

Hi Cleomie, glad you did not drink. I have had urges but have continued to stay strong myself. As a poster said above, play the tape to the end. 90 days will come and go and soon you will be at 180, i wish you well.

FeelingGreat 06-24-2015 08:45 PM

Congratulations Cleomie and sva on seeing through your cravings. They can be very dangerous at first but I hope that as you go you'll become more confident in dealing with them.
HALT is super important, so look after yourselves.

sleepie 06-24-2015 08:46 PM

Wow 90 days is amazing.
HALT is a big player and like Dee said it seems (I have read) that 90 days is a weak point for many.
I am inspired by your post and hope to reach 90 days too.
I am glad you reached out here :)

Ruby2 06-24-2015 09:22 PM

Cleomie, good work getting through. And it is work sometimes. I went to a meeting tonight and one guy said he couldn't control how he felt but he could control how he handled the feeling. That was a great thing to hear for me today. Congrats on 90.