Notices

Six months sober and still unsure if I am alcoholic

Old 06-24-2015, 11:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Six months sober and still unsure if I am alcoholic

Don't get me wrong, there is every sign on it that I am. And then some. It says on my medical file that I am a chronic one (bit harsh). And whatever you guy's are, I'm that too.

I'm still curious about the years I drank responsibly but think I'm on the right trek now. The alcohol never suited me in any case. Anyway I just want to say hey, it's been stressful.

I hadn't resolved to not drink when I signed up here so I owe gratitude to you all to be where I am now today. I suppose a tune is order. Here is a cheeky one from my wilder days:

Like a lot of track's it has taken me a while to understand the lyrics.

But. It is a massive thank's to all of you guys here most importantly.

It has been emotional. I hope all are well. "Leave a message"
Old 06-24-2015, 11:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That is just fantastic!!!!!!!
Old 06-24-2015, 11:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Strat you are going from strenght to strenght awesome job on 6 months sober bud
Old 06-24-2015, 11:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This rocks, man! Great job, buddy!!
Old 06-24-2015, 03:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Someone ask me the other day if I was SURE I was an alcoholic.......because they see emotional issues and OCD.......It doesn't matter.......whatever drives me to drink must be resolved. I'm working on it.
Old 06-24-2015, 04:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was never a normal drinker, but I definitely see a progression from where I started to where I finished.

My test for being an alcoholic is simple...if I start to doubt I'm an alcoholic and the first thought I have is a drink to test that idea out.. I'm still an alcoholic

D
Old 06-24-2015, 05:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

As my brain fog has cleared more and more, I'm discovering just how much I fooled myself in my recollections of how much I used to drink. And I'm flying toward a year.

I especially like what Dee posted above.
Old 06-24-2015, 05:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey Strat, I'm not big into labels but society seems to love them. If alcohol interferes with your life or has interfered, whether or not you're an labeled alcoholic is irrelevant, its probably best for it not to be a part of your life. 6 months is crazy good, you must feel pretty proud. Thumbs up!
Old 06-24-2015, 07:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congrats on 6 months Stratman! That is a fantastic accomplishment!
Old 06-24-2015, 08:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

Old 06-25-2015, 08:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Stratman, I am at right around seven months and have had the exact same question recently run through my mind because sobriety has gotten kind of "easy" - especially compared to the early white knuckling, obsessive thoughts, and borderline physical dependency that I can vaguely remember from when I initially quit.

I just know now that my relationships, my health, my work, and so many other facets of my life are finally where I want them to be. I honestly haven't been this happy in a long time and would be foolish of me to dismiss the direct correlation between quitting and seeing positive changes occur in my life. I have also started to think, in regards to whether or not I am an alcoholic, that if I even have to ask myself that question doesn't that at least give me some kind of inkling as to what the answer probably is?

Congrats on six months and I hope your journey continues to go well, you deserve it.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:08 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Cheers guy's. I'm not sure why I went with that track, I was looking for something else and it popped up. Anyway, that is neither here nor there.

Dee you're right. I tried that before. I was able to have 'one' once after attending a meeting and thought I was great. My alcoholic mind at work.

Thomas, thanks. I don't feel proud actually. But pretty damn good recently. I have no inclination to drink now at all and I am glad to be free of it.

Edit: Brauggi I was kinda fooling around. Alcohol has absolutely been at the root of my inability to deal with my problems and more. Cheers pal.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats to you! Six months is a wonderful accomplishment!
Old 06-25-2015, 08:19 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Alcoholic a loaded term , call me one if you wish . i seem to have matched the criteria .

I'm very definitely a Non-drinker and don't ever want a drink again , I have no wish to test myself as i don't see how it will ever benefit my life , even if i found i were somehow "normal" .

I have no wish to test it , done , dusted , i got better things to waste my time doing than spending even one more second contemplating drinking .

I have no question about me and alcohol , if the answer to my question is to my satisfaction the question goes away .. i don't ask myself whats one plus one .. I don't ask myself shall i have a drink .. I know to the very heart of me no good will come of it .

m
Old 06-25-2015, 08:29 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congrats on 6 months, you have definitely been making progress here in a few ways!

On drinking responsibly... I did not start drinking irresponsibly until my early 30's. Although if we really look at it, the fact that I was often the one who got sick from drinking at parties in my teens probably reveals something. Then in my 20's I drank very rarely and even then not much, often nothing for months. Until all hell broke loose in my 30's. We have all kinds of individual patterns with this and like others suggested, it does not really matter what we call it, call it crap and that's enough.

Keep it up, Strat
Old 06-25-2015, 10:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

6 Months is fantastic Strat!!
Old 06-25-2015, 11:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Congratulations on 6 months Stratman and many more to come :
If you ever feel that you can drink safely again (after all alcoholics have built in forgetters) re read this post you made when you originally joined SR
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...greetings.html
Old 06-25-2015, 12:25 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
Congratulations on 6 months Stratman and many more to come :
If you ever feel that you can drink safely again (after all alcoholics have built in forgetters) re read this post you made when you originally joined SR
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...greetings.html
Good point Carlotta. After beginning to sober up a bit that incident was a shocker for me. The 6 months I mentioned there was very much an approximate figure. I hadn't been drunk in nearly that time, but I did drink a handful of times last year. I was trying to stay off it but in the back of my mind I never considered it could be permanent. These past 6 months are much different. I've learned a lot about myself and our condition overall, and I have had a constant stream of the relevant knowledge or information from you guys also plus meaningful support. But most of all I made a commitment. I used the word 'inclination' loosely in that thread, I was more thinking about cravings then.

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
Congrats on 6 months, you have definitely been making progress here in a few ways!
Thank you Haennie, I have actually. I've begun to get into some of the subconscious stuff on here that I referred to in my opening thread. To be honest, that is exactly what I wanted to do when I was presenting to doctors with my symptoms and stuff. Although I was not ready and prepared to let go of the alcohol first (as was said then). At the time it was frustrating but I realise now it was the correct advice.

Originally Posted by mecanix View Post
I don't ask myself shall i have a drink .. I know to the very heart of me no good will come of it .
Another good point Mecanix. And that is probably the biggest change for me here now also. I now know this to be true, it's no longer just someone else's theory or advice and coming with all my "if's" and "but's" attached to it. A kinda big change that one. Hey thanks all.
Old 06-25-2015, 12:47 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Do your best

Loved your thread in cafe central btw
Old 06-25-2015, 01:09 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Humanoid thing

This is an inspiring thread. I hope people will agree that frequently we read statements that we really connect with and Stratman saying 'The alcohol never suited me in any case' was my moment in this thread.

It drained me of all maturity and responsibility. Maybe not immediately after one drink but over time, I feel that's what it did, punctuated with moments where you think it's all right but it's really not.