Notices

Tapering off

Old 06-23-2015, 08:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tapering off

I'm just curious if anyone here has had success tapering off alcohol with said alcohol, how they did it, and how they felt after putting the bottle down for good. Particularly, what was withdrawal like? I ask because withdrawal has been a beast for me, sweating, agitation, paranoia, you name it that doesn't involve the more serious stuff like hallucinations and seizures. Cold turkey doesn't seem to be working here, sadly.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Tapering would just prolong your misery, and few of us are able to control our drinking and make tapering work. Have you considered seeing a doctor for medication to ease withdrawal?
Old 06-23-2015, 09:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I certainly have, yes. I think that's what is going to ultimately be necessary. Like you mention, I don't want to prolong the misery and fool myself into thinking that it's OK to have that drink again.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Go see a doctor. They can probably help you with the withdrawal symptoms.

Tapering never worked for me personally. Just as I always found a reason to drink in the first place, I also always found a reason to break my own tapering rules when I was trying to quit drinking.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Its interesting to me that we alcoholics....who realize that we're alcoholics BECAUSE we have no control over our own drinking.... suddenly think we can employ "control" when it comes to tapering.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Edge, I think you are going to get a ton of responses to this question. Predominantly, they will probably swing towards tapering not working. I am in that boat. I spent years trying to quit and used every excuse in the book to make it happen.

Every time I tapered or tried to lessen my intake I would ultimately fail and drink more than before.

I just had to quit, make a plan and quit for good. I agree with seeing your doctor. Quitting cold turkey can be very risky.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Edge,
I also, have had no luck tapering. I went to my doctor last time and told him what was going on. He prescribed some anti-anxiety meds and in 3 days I felt much better. I have been through withdrawal going cold turkey and also with meds.........If you don't want to go through hell....I would suggest a visit to your doc. you won't regret it. Remember your doctor has heard it all and won't pass judgement on you.. Best wishes.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Erikst View Post
Its interesting to me that we alcoholics....who realize that we're alcoholics BECAUSE we have no control over our own drinking.... suddenly think we can employ "control" when it comes to tapering.
Believe me, I know. To everyone, I thank you for the good advice. More or less, I was curious to see if it had worked for anyone, ever. I do not want to go down that road myself, but damn does withdrawal suck. It's great laying in a puddle of sweat in bed at night even with the air conditioning going and not being able to sleep. OK, doctor's trip imminent. I'll update you all on my progress.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Edge i think tapering is impossible for an alcoholic if we could taper in the first place we wouldnt be alcoholic

I agree speaking with a Dr about WD and explain your alcoholic & you need to safely detox

Going cold turkey is very dangerous so def speak to a Dr
Old 06-23-2015, 09:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Edge78 View Post
Believe me, I know. To everyone, I thank you for the good advice. More or less, I was curious to see if it had worked for anyone, ever. I do not want to go down that road myself, but damn does withdrawal suck. It's great laying in a puddle of sweat in bed at night even with the air conditioning going and not being able to sleep. OK, doctor's trip imminent. I'll update you all on my progress.
Yes but...asking if it worked for anyone..."EVER"...is pointless, isn't it? I hope so anyway. I mean....if you saw 100 people try to jump over a huge, 20 story, cavern....from one cliff side to another.....and 95 people didn't make it...and 5 did....would you try it? This is your life...your LIFE...
Old 06-23-2015, 03:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi edge

yeah withdrawal is rough but I never made tapering work for me - there was no third speed in me - it was either off on fully on.

I also recommend seeing a Dr. - get some professional advice - it really is the safest way

D
Old 06-23-2015, 07:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I appreciate the given advice and am trying my best to follow it. Does anyone have advice for night sweats? Because so far, this has been my biggest detriment to getting a good night's sleep. I'm sleeping with towels beneath me, then replacing them when they get too uncomfortable for me to lay on.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Also, Erik, please chill out a bit. Your aggression does not help with stress. I realize my life is at risk. It's exactly why I'm here, my friend. But stress does not help sobriety. We're all in the same boat, just trying to get well. Thank you for taking that into consideration.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

The sweats are pretty common. I think you just have to work though them Edge - it took about a week or 10 days for me to return to normal..

As for everyone being chill - I really don't think anyone's been aggressive here Edge.
I'm sorry if you took it that way.

Detox can be, and has been, tricky for some of us - people are just concerned for you, that's all

lets all give each other a break

D
Old 06-23-2015, 08:00 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

We will have to agree to disagree, Dee. I have not enjoyed the tone of Erik's responses. I don't expect anyone to hold my hand, but I would expect anyone trying to beat the same addiction not to come off as so judgmental.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:18 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Use the ignore function.

Ignore bothersome members. If there is someone on the forum that bothers you, select the Ignore option on the drop down menu under their name on the post. You won't see any posts from this member again.
I've also removed several posts here for medical advice.

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.
I'd like to see this thread return to topic.
Thanks

Dee
SR
Old 06-23-2015, 10:21 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

As for night sweats... don't sweat it, they go away.

They are unpleasant but pretty much the definition of nothing.
Old 06-24-2015, 12:35 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Tapering never worked for me. I couldn't even successfully "downshift" one night. Why? Because tomorrow night was a lot more convenient. I could rationalize my way out of ANYTHING.