Notices

Weekend June 18 Pt 2

Old 06-24-2015, 06:31 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  

Good morning! It's overcast and cool this morning. I turned off my alarm clock because I could. I actually finally got 8 hours of sleep.

Behan, I've sensed a bit of "I don't know about this" trepidation lately and I can say that while it isn't fun right now, it will get better. You've made some big changes that need to be processed still. You have big changes in the offing with the baby coming. For me that always ended up in a panicky jumble in my head and discomfort. I posted on here a lot. My one goal became just not drinking for a while and then it eased up as I became comfortable again.

People debate about "alcoholism as a disease" mode and I'm not getting into that debate but I view it as a "dis-ease". I'm not easy in my own skin and to handle that, I drank.

Learningagain, that listening comment is classic. My kids too. Listen and do well at school. Helpful and diligent at school. Work hard at school. My house is in shambles and I have to repeat myself fifty times.

Our fish come for the food. Don't answer to their names.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:15 AM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by learningagain View Post
The fish come when you go near the tank, hopeful you are going to feed them! They do not answer to their names sadly, but then neither does my son - he was awarded the "Superstar listener" award for second grade at his school this year. Later that night as I was trying to get him to finish up his chores, I commented "I have no idea how you managed to get the superstar listener award". He replied "Mom, I am listening, I am just not doing, I did not get a superstar doer award". Oh, I see the teenage years already.
Awesome! Scary he reminds me of me.

Came inside to check a nursery inventory - no home depot for serious stuff. Always check with you guys. I am hoping to actually finish things I started over 5 years ago. Looks like my fix to the blueberry netting worked. Y'all can relax now. Grass is wet and needs to be cut - must wait till dry. I planted 8 bush beans. I'll have beans coming out my---. Literally. The dahlias I planted a week ago are almost 3" high. Looks like some good candidates for relocation.

Sorry Trach - of course you are a fish head!
Old 06-24-2015, 07:24 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
happy hump day! Behan, once we get some time under our belts and learn how to relax and accept every day as a gift, hump day will become just another day. As we learn to live in the moment, not completely unaware of the big picture of course, each day will become its own. No better and no worse than the days surrounding it. We'll learn to live every day as a new day. Every challenge we face will become nothing more than a simple task. We no longer allow the stressors in our lives to control us. We control ourselves. Our minds become clear and our purpose for living has new meaning. We are no longer a slave to our thoughts or the perceived expectations of others.
We become free. I know this.
Thanks LBrain!!! I do look forward to that day!
Old 06-24-2015, 07:25 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post

Behan, I've sensed a bit of "I don't know about this" trepidation lately and I can say that while it isn't fun right now, it will get better. You've made some big changes that need to be processed still. You have big changes in the offing with the baby coming. For me that always ended up in a panicky jumble in my head and discomfort. I posted on here a lot. My one goal became just not drinking for a while and then it eased up as I became comfortable again.

Thank you for your kind words Ruby.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:28 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Yesterday I made a curvy design with my new edging stones. Not 100% happy with it yet. I have a feeling I will be out there for a few days rearranging them Neighbors already probably think I'm a little nuts, so I'll indulge them a bit. What can I say? I'm a bit of a perfectionist about stuff like this. Today I'll be wearing gloves though. Didn't do that yesterday and went to bed with sore, red hands. They're nice and callused today.

Will need more topsoil for sure. Going to layer it up to about 10" above the rest of the yard. Then mulch. Debating about whether to put down some layers of newspaper on top of the ground to help with weeds ... LBrain, care to weigh in on this? I need your advice, lol.
Old 06-24-2015, 07:28 AM
  # 166 (permalink)  

Well, just ran to the store as running low on things - amazing how much lower my bill is when I am just buying essentials, not beer and munchies! They are redesigning the store, which was annoying, they are moving everything. I had my shop down to a fine art, and ended up wandering aimlessly - where, oh where, is the bread?! Everyone was looking very confused and fed up - nothing like a store full of angry people!
Old 06-24-2015, 07:31 AM
  # 167 (permalink)  

I'll be cleaning and preparing for a birthday party this evening. Cake, ice-cream, fresh flowers, party tiaras, bubbly seltzer water, and going to get the cone party hats for the dogs. They will be thrilled to wear them, lol.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:36 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Alice Cooper Does Real Estate

BIG Exhale....

To use a salient line from TV Ads shilling various useless things, while inducing us to order them right now: 'But, wait... There's more'!

I got told 2 days ago there would be a Sewer Line Optical Scan yesterday between 2 and 4 PM. No probs, of course. Glued PVC Sewer Pipe angles under the Driveway, and was properly back-filled to prevent a Clog-inducing 'dip' in the Pipe. No Trees/Roots nearby.

What didn't get communicated was that this perfunctory, Third Party Service Call was yet another excuse to simultaneously invade our House for more 'measurements'. And, to dissect the House Inspection Report I paid for and put on-line. And, to invite in a nice-enough HVAC Guy for new Furnace discussion; to be installed on her Nickel [~$3,000]. SOOOOOOO, when this Bomb was dropped on me in my Driveway - with the nauseating excuse that the Buyer wanted to 'bond more' [actual Language] with the House she's buying - I went *fn* Ballistic! Further, it was assumed that I knew this was specified in our House Contract [I don't read it that way whatsoever], and that 'everyone' does this. Perhaps in this College Town/County of Earth Muffins, but not in the MesaMan Universe. Nor amongst our Circle-of-Friends. If Caitlyn Jenner needs a new Pair, this ballsy Female Realtor could be the Donor. It was also assumed that we would disappear for 2 hours to sidestep potential Seller -> Buyer conflict. In these temps? With a Dog? Not on your Life.

Missus Mesa was incendiary about this Second Home Invasion in 2 days. She holed up with our Goldie in the Master BR and warned me 'they better not *fn* come in here while [Da Pooch] is in here'. My Realtor was bouncing between me here in our Family Room, and these 2 Gals outside in a Car. I asked him 'Do I need to get out my *fn* House Title for us to clarify who still owns this House'? He's making these 'tamping down' motions with his Hands, asking me to 'calm down'. He claims these Home Invasions are allowed, per our Contract. Only if you interpret very generic 'Right To Inspect' Language that particular way. I don't.

With Jaw clenched, I was determined to own this situation. In our Basement, I hung back while the HVAC Dude explained Furnace replacement options. As of 2012, a separate Heat Recovery Ventilator [HRV] has to be installed and working for the finished Basement to be a habitable Bedroom [the Buyer's Plan]. Because it hangs down over future Bathroom Plumbing sunk in Concrete, it's gotta go; replaced by a smaller, more-modern Unit installed elsewhere. Bathroom and Ceiling height has to be higher for Code. This HRV was a slick Option circa 1987 for this 'tight', Super-Insulated House. Thus, I don't have to replace a failed Motor in it. Yippie Skippy! New HRV estimate: $~2,800- Clams.The overwhelmed Buyer didn't even realize the conflicting requirements of her Plan: Bathroom Ceiling height that meets Code for sign-off, or HRV repaired and left in place that would scuttle her 3rd Bathroom idea.

'But wait, there's more...'

As they discussed ways to skirt Building Permits and Codes, I dropped my first of 2 Bombs. The new Game of Insurance Companies is to not cover Claims from Fires or damage if their Investigation shows the damage started from non-Permitted/Signed-off Work. Old News to those of us who've built Houses. That 'extra' Wiring in the Garage, or out on the Patio? That Gas Line Extension for the permanent Grill? Risky Guano these days if the Joint torches. You could have heard a Pin drop in my Basement as I gave this lil Tutorial. Hee hee, I'm a roll now... As 'Aerosmith' sings: 'Don't get mad, get even...'

'But wait. There's more'...

Then, I politely ask our Buyer upstairs if she thinks she'll get all the measurements she needs today. She does, and apologizes for her Realtor 'trying to protect her within the Law', and for being so 'pushy'. I spelled the operative description of her Realtor differently. Suddenly, this Epiphany of thoroughly-pissed-offed-ness engulfs me. On the fly, I disclose that there are loaded Weapons on the Premises, and I take steps when Strangers visit to store loaded Guns. Visibly stunned, she asks: 'Even when you're not here'?!? I.e., she's fishing to see if they can invade again while we're out West soon before Closing because her Realtor has convinced her that to do so is 'normal'. I reply: 'I can't disclose that'. There are no Weapons here w/o me present, of course, but by now I'm having fun *fn* with them. My unloaded .357 was in my locked Truck; a detail I damned near forgot to address, I was so *fn* mad when this 2nd, mis-represented Home Invasion first went down. The 'logic' seems to be: 'Oh well, since this Tradesman is there, we'll just barge on in unannounced with him anyway...' And, expect us to leave.

I was trained formally in Business to view and address problems at the most fundamental level. The Japanese call this approach 'Poke Yoke' -> 'Poke_ee Yoke_ee'. It roughly translates as 'Mistake Proofing'. One iteration of this Concept? We used to have on our Front Door the ubiquitous 'Lock Box' with a House Door Key in it. It is gone. Finito. A Key is not even accessible to our very-nice Realtor. Our Contractual obligation to accommodate this potential Caitlyn Jenner Cojones Donor of a Realtor is over tomorrow night. I agreed, upon request, to one last Walk-Through just before Closing to ensure the Joint is the same as when put under Contract. I alone control the timing of that final Home Invasion.

My Take-Away? No one but me establishes Boundaries for me. Old News, eh?.

Thank you all. This is very cathartic. Below, Recovered Alc Alice Cooper says all I have to say. OK, well, other than my Missive above.-)

- 'No More Mister Nice Guy' ~ Alice Cooper
Old 06-24-2015, 09:39 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Sounds lovely, hippo!

Nice one, Mesa!

I've decided that Citronella plants don't ward off Mosquitos .....they might actually attract them. Hmm....
Old 06-24-2015, 09:54 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Mesa - No Mas! I would tell that real estate bee-yatch to go packing.

You fulfilled your obligation the day a contract was signed. This open door policy is bullllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllllllllllllllllllllll sheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

So anyway, I went to a local nursery for some real cared for plants that I needed. Ended up spending much more because, -- they had nice stuff!

So anyway, hm... okay,, Am I the only one that ever pulled up to a 4 way stop sign on a country road and sat there waiting for it to change? It wasn't until another car pulled across from me did I realize that sign was going to say stop forever! Doh!

hippo - yeah newspaper work fine. But unless they are covered with something else they are going to blow away. You can soak them and eventually they become part of the ground. But I'd have to see what you're talking about. A couple days ago I came across 3' x 50' rolls of black plastic in the paint department at wally-world. I picked up 2. I have a space I put down newspaper but I covered it with cardboard also und weighed it down. It's unsightly but it's temporary. I wouldn't use newspaper for a permanent barrier myself. Some do I've heard.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:07 AM
  # 171 (permalink)  

^^What HE said.

MM.

p.s. I thought we already talked about this? They don't get access. Inspectors, yes. Buyers, no.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:09 AM
  # 172 (permalink)  

"bonding" with the house.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:18 AM
  # 173 (permalink)  

LBrain, the reason I ask is because after doing some Googling, it seems the black plastic is a pain in the buttocks later on because it doesn't disintegrate, obviously. The newspaper does. Really I'm just using it for a sort of barrier between the ground as it is now, and all the topsoil and mulch going on top ... to ward off as many weeds as possible. Then, I'll only have to contend with new weed seeds that come in via the wind, landing on top.

Makes sense to me. Just wanted your thoughts on it.

This is probably a rookie question - do I need to take a hoe or a spade and chop up all the grass top layer and remove it? Seems like a whole lot of work. I'm guessing the answer is a Yes.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:20 AM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Wow-ee, MesaMan Yeah, good luck with that. I'd probably be pissed too, if they insisted on coming in for inspections before you guys are out ... and multiple times? Ugh.

I worked in a construction business (and around realtors) for a few years ... one trait they all seemed to possess is the look-out-for-number-1 trait above all. They wanted what they wanted right when they wanted it, everyone and everything else be damned, lol.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:22 AM
  # 175 (permalink)  

You guys are motivating me to try and save my poor garden, will work on it this weekend!

Just got back from a nice hour long walk along the shores of Lake Erie, the weather is perfect! The lake is looking a bit murky due to all the storms and run off recently, hopefully it will be looking nicer soon.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:39 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  
saoutchik

They should be quality newspapers Soberpotamus - Washington Post, Financial Times that kind of thing, online editions don't work at all so i've heard. Dogs with hats! please post a pic when they've got em on.

Welcome Humbug and BlissWithin

LBrain your garden is fantastic, green with a capital G

Behan, you have a lot of good things to look forward to, you can do it

I'm off to Middlesborough in the North East of England tomorrow . I "enjoy" nights away on business less and less these days so although it is only 250 miles I am going to fly, they are existing customers so I don't need samples. I actually bought my own car there (VW not the Lancia )
Old 06-24-2015, 10:41 AM
  # 177 (permalink)  

Ahahahaha, Sao!
Old 06-24-2015, 10:41 AM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Will definitely post a pic of the pooches in their party hats

... stay tuned ...
Old 06-24-2015, 10:46 AM
  # 179 (permalink)  

Soberpotamus - I cannot wait to see the pooch party hats! I bought my cats reindeer costumes at Christmas, they were not impressed! There are no photos due to the complete freak out and chaos that ensued!
Old 06-24-2015, 10:48 AM
  # 180 (permalink)  

Here is the front door I'm thinking of installing to replace our ugly one.