Depression & Alcoholism how to treat both

Old 06-22-2015, 12:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Do your best

Depression & Alcoholism how to treat both

Depression and Alcoholism: How to Treat Both
Old 06-22-2015, 12:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing Wolf. The article is quite generic however IMHO. Medication is usually used as a front line measure to treat Depression that I dont readily agree with. If a person is drinking alcohol at the same time, the effectiveness of the medication is questionable, as I have been told by a healthcare proffessional. Sometimes it works...sometimes it doesnt.

Given individual cases, Mild to moderate excercise and exposure to sunlight have been proven by documented studies to offer the same relief as meds...again depending upon indiviual's and circumstances. My healthcare proffessional has offered this option to me in the treatment of my clinical depression. I am seeing noticeable relief. I have also stopped drinking as well.

I Whole-Heartedly agree, Alcohol can indeed deepen depression drastically! The first and foremost line of treatment in this case is of course, stop drinking !

Admittedly...I'am not a big "Pill Fanantic" and donot care to take anymore than absolutely neccessary.

BTW...are you a "Lost" fan ?

DD
Old 06-22-2015, 02:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Yep im a lost fan but i avoid direct discussion as it will ruin it for others
Old 06-22-2015, 02:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I understand.

DD
Old 06-22-2015, 03:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've gotten great results w medication. It's been 6 months since I started taking them and I've been sober at least half the time, which is more than I have since about 1992. As far as I'm concerned I'm doing fabulously well. I'm back working and focused. I also eat healthy...as in nothing from a box......I get the proper rest ....most times. everyone is different the value of science should not be minimized.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not a big pill fan either but, as I've said many times, I believe anti-depressants saved my life.

D
Old 06-22-2015, 04:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

If you can recognize that you have both depression and alcoholism then you better avail yourself of every resource. My doctor was stunned when I sat there and said "I drink too much". I am a perfect health kinda guy. I've been to emergency and urgent care for first aid and had doctors tell me no one is this healthy. They examine me and find me true.

You get every bit of help you can find. My doctor's prescription of AD's have helped me immensely.
Old 06-22-2015, 04:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Ive been on anti depressants for the last 3 & half months roughly after saying i would never medicate tbh i dont really notice it but others do

I was reassured by close trusted friends & i was very careful in my approach to it i made sure the gp knew i was hesitant about it

Its turned out that it has really helped i dont think i would of done this without the imput from my close trusted friends as they understood and that really helped
Old 06-22-2015, 04:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yes to it all. Any one of those may help. May need to do all. I believe the key is to know we don't have to be depressed. There's a solution and its on us to find it. Keep trying.

There is one true fact here that nobody can deny...alcohol makes it worse. In my case, MUCH, MUCH worse.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:39 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I'm no doctor so don't take what I say as medical advice but will share something I've just found out for myself. I've been dealing with some things that had me waking up crying in the morning.. literally first thing my eyes opened.. and I have no one to talk with about it... so I went looking for some help as my usual program stuff wasn't working. I stumbled across (not by mishap I think ) a vitamin page and, as a result, started taking vitamin D3. I think its helping a bit but its early on and I'm hoping it helps more. I'm in a situation where I can't go to a shrink and I can't ask for any meds to help... VA.. long story. So, anyway, with this D3 result, I'm going to look for more info on natural things that might help.
Old 06-25-2015, 03:24 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Whatever helps Turtle i had days where i woke up my 'mojo' was awol & i had tears in my eyes i take quite a few vitimins already admittedly i havnt tried D3 so will have to check

But i stand by talking to a Dr about anything first if i dont trust the Dr i see another Dr

But i always see a Dr
Old 06-25-2015, 04:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Oh, I didn't mean I think talking to a doc is wrong. I meant just for me. Its a VA problem and could whined up hurting me later.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Read up on a supplement called 5-htp.
Search 5-htp for depression or anxiety.

You're welcome
Old 06-25-2015, 05:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

I didnt think that Turtle lol i think your awesome thank you for the imput sorry i didnt mean to come across in a bad way

And thank you IC for your imput to bud
Old 06-25-2015, 05:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Antidepressants saved my life. They keep me balanced and content. I will always take them cause they work so well for me.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm with Dave. Not a pill fan. If it works for others that is awesome..but to be honest it scares the crap out of me. Diet and exercise is essential to my sanity. And I don't trust doctors..at all. That's just me. They are way too quick to write you a scrip for everything and anything. Trust your gut..
Old 06-25-2015, 05:32 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Incontrol15 View Post
Read up on a supplement called 5-htp.
Search 5-htp for depression or anxiety.

You're welcome
my husband and I both take this. You can get it at the health food store. It works and no gnarly side effects
Old 06-25-2015, 05:55 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Before taking supplements it's a good idea to see your Dr as what worked for someone else may not work, or be suitable for you.

None of us know what your health is like or what other meds you may be on.,

Do share your experience guys - but please refrain from recommendations for others.

That's against our medical advice rule, even with vitamins and over the counter stuff.etc.

Dee
SR