Notices

Pregnant-father an addict

Old 06-22-2015, 08:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi. I'm so lost and frustrated and I don't know if I will find more hurt or help here, but I need to get this off my chest, and maybe someone here will understand what I'm going through and perhaps has some helpful advice... So my boyfriend is a heroin addict. I have known for over two years now.. We have had a very on/off relationship because of it, and I left him last year around this time because I didn't know what else to do anymore... A month later we reconnected and he went to a 12-step inpatient facility. He seemed to be working the program for a while.. He always came home from meetings motivated-until some of the people he exchanged numbers with fell off and we're trying to borrow money etc. he stopped going all together and dissed the whole NA program.. He was still keeping up with his intensive outpatient and once that was complete-regular outpatient.. Then his mom has open heart surgery and less than a week later his fav aunt died.. Him with very little coping skills went right back to the dope.. It got dodgy for a while and I reached out to the inpatient and his outpatient counsellors. During his next meeting with his counselor he seemed to get back on track with being clean.. I found out I was pregnant and was initially thinking the best thing to do would be to not have the child due to such early recovery etc... When I told him he cried happy tears and was so excited. I shared with him my concerns and how I can't have a baby with him if he's not going to be serious about sobriety because I don't want to raise another child alone (I already have a daughter whose father isn't involved-but not due to drugs, just due to scumbaggery) Things were great for a while. Then he lost his job a few months later. And again-he took right to using. Saying he's depressed this that the other. Hardly even got out of bed for two months.. Only motivated to get out to cop. I cried plead screamed.. To the point that I just calmly told him he had till my daughter was done with school. If he didn't have it together with a track record showing he was on path to sobriety then we were leaving him.. He struggled cold turkey off-on. Finally I got him to agree to do a suboxone program. That worked for about a month before he started selling the subs to get dope. It spiraled out of control... He was wild. Rabid almost.. My daughter n I packed a bag and took sanctuary at my mothers. His sister had moved down a few weeks prior so I left knowing there would be someone to monitor him to make sure he didn't die of an OD.... And that's exactly what he did. He chewed a klonopin and shot up and his sister heard a thud up in our room and found him blue. Off to the hospital they went. He seemed remorseful in the ER saying how he will do whatever I want to keep us together, etc but then once he sobered up-checked himself out and walked home and was acting like everything was a big joke. That he only OD'd bc of the k-pin and he was annoyed he was sent to the hospital.. He turned so nasty and cold. Meanwhile I am 7.5 months pregnant and hysterically crying and so stressed I'm surprised I haven't gone into premature labor.. His mother comes down from out of state and is on his side treating me like I'm the enemy.. ?!?! I bought new locks for our house bc his sister thought she heard someone trying to get in with a key (one was missing) and I didn't get a new key to my own home.. So again-pregnant (big and!), father of unborn child OD'd and is acting like a maniac, family is treating me like I'm the bad guy, and I can't even access my own belongings... These people are f-ing nuts. I keep trying to explain to my daughter in the easiest way a 9-yo can understand why I just ripped her from her home, but all she does is cry about how she misses him... I decide to distract her with a road trip. Beneficial to us both. Beach, environment change, visit old friends, away from all the toxicity..,, while I'm away-he stops using, but substitutes with a heavy amount of vodka... Apparently he nearly kills his mom n sis while she was driving (fleeing from a dealer that came to the house apparently). His sis called the police n he ended up staying the night in a mental health facility.. That next day his sis had an intervention planned for him. Which-I was kept completely in the dark on. I was not allowed to be involved in the choosing of the place or anything. In fact-I had to BEG to get any information at all on it... He agreed to go, and was on a plane the next day with the facility's interventionist... ((Yay!!!)) Before he agreed to go he called me. Wanting my feedback. I told him that if he didn't go there was no us-that I can't trust him with my already existing daughter, let alone an infant... He said ok-and he would call me back. When he did call back we only spoke for 4 minutes. I told him how happy I am he's going, that he cannot wait (he wanted to wait 6 weeks before going) because he will talk himself out of it-right now he was scared and remorseful-that now was the time, how much I loved him etc... During this call I'm getting tons of texts to get off the phone with him-that I'm going to ruin this-blah blah.... ?!?! So, he's somewhere in Oklahoma right now at a narconon facility. I'm super happy he is somewhere getting treatment, and it's not 12-step based (since he doesn't give in to their theories) so that's good, but I'm leery at best at its links to Scientology... I do have a friend of a friend that has 11years and running recovery from their program, but I want to know more... I can't find any real statistics backing up their claimed high success rate. Anyone have any feedback?! I don't know what to do. I love this man-so much.. But given the pattern I have seen I am terrified to have him involved with this baby. And the way his family treated me during a crisis isn't warming either... I understand that I left-but what other choice did he leave me with?! Staying was only enabling him, and it was putting both my and my daughters lives at risk... It wasn't safe for a child. I just don't think I have the luxury of seeing how things pan out... I think I need to move away from here-and if he can keep it together, I hope he follows and wins us back.... Does any of this make any kind of rational sense? Has anyone been in my shoes? Part of me feels selfish like I'm only thinking of myself-but the other part of me knows I poured all of my energy into this man for the past two years and all he did was take and take and left me depleted. I cannot do that anymore. My babies deserve better.. They need all of me. There is so so much more. But I just can't translate it all to written word without sounding completely bonkers and all over the place... Any advice???? Please?? Thanks.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It sounds like a terrible situation, and he does not sound like hes going to get clean and sober. I quit heroin 16 years ago I was a secret user that overdosed, the overdose made it public and thats what made me quit more than the fear of dieing. I think rehab did help, but only because I was in a good enviroment while my mind was made up to quit anyway. It would not have worked any other time. You have to really want it, what exactly are you asking us? asking maybe more direct questions would lead to more/better replys.
Or is it that you already know what you want to do and are just looking for reinforcement or to be told something that will talk you out of it. I have other problems im trying to beat at the minute, but there are people here who are long time clean and very wise. Just responded to let you know someones listening.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:19 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Of course, you need to protect your unborn child, your daughter and yourself. That's what you must focus on now.

Hopefully your boyfriend will decide to stop using drugs and alcohol.
Old 06-22-2015, 09:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcvome to SR have you checked out our friends & family section
Old 06-22-2015, 09:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I understand that he will not find true sobriety unless he wants it... I was hoping for maybe some incite on narconon and if anyone had any first hand experience.. I was hoping someone had a story to share that could bring hope into my deflated soul.. I hate feeling so damn doom n gloom and want to be encouraging and hopeful. Maybe I do want someone to tell me to run or to tell me to stay... I don't really know. Im trying to not make rash decisions. I'm just so confused and hurt and lost and still so very much in love....

Yes-I am on the friends n fam forum as well, but just like my nar-anon experience--I feel like that's a good place to vent and have someone who can relate from my perspective... But still I prefer the hope and good stories and overcoming real struggles from the addict/NA side.

Congratulations to all of you here who are quelling your demons and never giving up..
Old 06-22-2015, 12:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 06-22-2015, 12:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

For what it's worth I think you are doing the right thing by putting you and your children first. You can't save him but you can save your little ones.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:20 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm sorry I have trouble reading your post cause I'm lazy. But can you clarify about your family support? Do you have any from your side? Anyways I'm an alcoholic. I want to warn you the potential for him to be a supportive and caring partner is going to be very small at this time.
Do you have insurance? If so, there are often pregnancy support groups that are offered.
I do not think you are crazy. You are looking out for yourself and your children.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I did a search here for narconon:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-narconon.html

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-narconon.html
Old 06-22-2015, 02:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome. Please know that you can always post here are not alone in this. I have no experience with your type of situation except to say to post often. It has had such a calming effect on me.

Best to you and know that the true experts here are good at what they do.

OMB
Old 06-23-2015, 03:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Muunray View Post
I'm sorry I have trouble reading your post cause I'm lazy. But can you clarify about your family support? Do you have any from your side? Anyways I'm an alcoholic. I want to warn you the potential for him to be a supportive and caring partner is going to be very small at this time. Do you have insurance? If so, there are often pregnancy support groups that are offered. I do not think you are crazy. You are looking out for yourself and your children.
My family support is solid. I'm currently staying with my mom now, as my home felt unsafe.

He has yet to ever be a supportive partner His mistress, heroin, has made sure of that..
Old 06-23-2015, 03:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm happy to see you are staying with your Mom and that your family support is solid. Like another poster said, you can't save him, but you can save yourself and your little ones. Please take care of yourself and your kids first. Hopefully, he will kick his "mistress" to the curb and realize he needs to get clean and be there for you and the kids.