SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   I might really be able to do this? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/370048-i-might-really-able-do.html)

ZoneEater 06-20-2015 05:34 PM

I might really be able to do this?

Hey all.

New to the forum though I've been reading for years. Wasn't ready to come to grips what was just a problem I had on weekends often turning every Friday night through Sunday into a party with friends. Maybe it wasn't a problem then but it is now. And maybe I did have some grip that it was or I wouldn't have been lurking for years, right?

What was partying turned into drinking a few beers every night and binging weekends one I got my high stress well paying gov job at 27.

I'm 32 now and my body hates me with a passion.

Today is DAY 4 and I'm actually over the worst of the withdrawal systems. I have a bit of itchy skin and a muddled mind, but all the worst has come and gone.

So now I need to get my life back on track and I'm trying to figure out how to do that. I tried AA and it wasn't for me- at least now the few I went to. also the surrendering to a higher power thing.

What alternatives do i have that do offer some face to face?

Would love your support. I never want to drink again. I can tell that it's impossible for me to just moderate.

Thanks!

Zoned

Della1968 06-20-2015 05:36 PM

Welcome!!!

FreeOwl 06-20-2015 05:39 PM

AA wasn't for me back at your age / stage either.

Then, almost ten years later, it was.

What changed?

Well.... things got a fair lot worse.

I'm not a hardcore AA. In fact, I haven't been to a meeting in a couple months. But the program and its people have been a tremendous tool in my overall sobriety toolkit.

For me, it wasn't AA or therapy or exercise or SR or meditation or spiritual pursuits or changes in my lifestyle or friendships or activities or interests.

It was all of that.

And it has been so, so worth it.

You can do it.

:grouphug:

Edge78 06-20-2015 05:40 PM

My skin would itch like hell too and fortunately seems to be calming down. As someone who turned weekend drinking into a 7 day a week thing and am now only on day two, I want to wish you the best of all possible fortune my friend.

ZoneEater 06-20-2015 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by FreeOwl (Post 5431338)
AA wasn't for me back at your age / stage either.

Then, almost ten years later, it was.

What changed?

Well.... things got a fair lot worse.

I'm not a hardcore AA. In fact, I haven't been to a meeting in a couple months. But the program and its people have been a tremendous tool in my overall sobriety toolkit.

For me, it wasn't AA or therapy or exercise or SR or meditation or spiritual pursuits or changes in my lifestyle or friendships or activities or interests.

It was all of that.

And it has been so, so worth it.

You can do it.

:grouphug:

Thanks! I think I can pick and choose for sure.

ZoneEater 06-20-2015 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by Della1968 (Post 5431331)
Welcome!!!

Thank you :)

gettingsmarter 06-20-2015 05:43 PM

Hey Zoned, welcome.

ZoneEater 06-20-2015 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Edge78 (Post 5431343)
My skin would itch like hell too and fortunately seems to be calming down. As someone who turned weekend drinking into a 7 day a week thing and am now only on day two, I want to wish you the best of all possible fortune my friend.

I spent nearly the entirety of my first 3 days on this site. It helped me know what to expect and to really understand the journey I will be starting.

Thank you for your kind words and I hope you seek DR help if the withdrawals get too bad.

ZoneEater 06-20-2015 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by gettingsmarter (Post 5431349)
Hey Zoned, welcome.

Thank you :)

resolute50 06-20-2015 05:52 PM

Welcome to the site, Zoned.

I think besides using this site as a tool.
I had to find a hobby that would be interesting, creative and rewarding when completed or achieving goals.
It helped to fill in those times that I would be bored and be apt to think about drinking. Everybody is different, but, that worked for me.

learningagain 06-20-2015 05:55 PM

Welcome, I am only on day 11 myself. I realized I was self-loathing and depressed every morning because of the drinking of the night before, and then would drink again that night to feel better, or ignore. Not sure exactly what changed, but something snapped in me, and I did the first few days by sleeping, then one day 4 I started looking around and ended up here. I keep this sight up on my computer to look at. I reached out to a friend who is 2 years sober, and we have started a nightly hike around various different parks. For me it was important to feel I was gaining something, not losing something and this definitely helped.

I have not joined a group, partly as I work as a nurse in addiction recovery and at this early stage I do not want to risk bumping into people and losing credibility.

It is a problem if you think it is a problem...I think my drinking truly only became a problem in this last year or so, and luckily I had the tools to recognize before it became really bad, however, I never want to get to that point.

You have recognized a problem, and so keep reading here, and if you have someone in RL you can confide in that also offers some accountability...Good luck

Soberwolf 06-20-2015 05:55 PM

Welcome to SR ZoneEater

emme99 06-20-2015 06:02 PM

Welcome :) I am not sure AA is for me either. I have only been to one meeting and am having trouble getting the courage up to go to another one. I spend a lot of time here reading which helps a lot, and I am seeing a therapist weekly.

Hevyn 06-20-2015 06:51 PM

Great meeting you ZoneEater - I'm glad you've been helped by SR. It saved my life when I came crawling in here. I was drinking daily at that point. In my 30's I still insisted I could control it - damage and destruction lay ahead. You're doing a wonderful thing for yourself. :)

ZoneEater 06-20-2015 09:31 PM

Thank you everyone that I have not already thanked personally.

Wonderful comments and insights. I am going to attempt first time sleeping since day 2. Hopefully no more Hypnic jerks.

feren 06-20-2015 09:35 PM

I'm on day 2 myself, had a bad night but feel a bit better. Good luck mate.

greens 06-20-2015 09:58 PM

AA has the most face to face meetings , the only other ones I can think of are smart recovery or woman for sobriety. I'm sure a quick Google search can show something in your area.

xtrarestless 06-20-2015 10:57 PM

Maybe try an NA meeting?

It seems like NA is more about working on yourself than surrendering to a higher power. And I've seen quite a few alcoholics that attend the same NA meetings I do because they like the atmosphere of the NA meetings better than the AA ones.

There's nothing to lose, but everything to gain. Stay strong, but don't be afraid to ask for help when you need it. The people here are wonderfully supportive.

least 06-21-2015 04:19 AM

Welcome to the family. :) I'm glad you joined us. :)

PurpleKnight 06-21-2015 07:52 AM

Welcome to the Forum Zoned!! Great job on Day 4!! :wave: