Notices

I might really be able to do this?

Old 06-21-2015, 10:30 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Update:
Last night was rough. About 50 Hypnic jerks before I finally got some sleep. Early morning just had a lot of mini intense dreams but feel so much clearer right now. Skin crawling is gone just now some fatigue.
Rest of day 5 here I come.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:46 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Nights can be rough at first.
I went nearly 3 nights with 0 hrs. sleep.
And talk about sweating,soaked the sheets.
But,well worth it!
Old 06-21-2015, 10:51 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

HI ZoneEater, way to go on day 5. I believe you're past the worst of it. You have a huge advantage... your age and you desire. The only advice I can offer is hang around here and listen to the good people at SR, they've see it all. And want to help you. Best of luck.
Old 06-21-2015, 02:58 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Zone, it's going to get so much better - and you never have to return to that miserable place.
Old 06-21-2015, 03:04 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Zone
Old 06-21-2015, 03:33 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi ZoneEater - welcome

There's many different approaches and methods of recovery around - here's some links to some of the meeting based main players, including but not limited to AA:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

I recommend you visit the Secular Connections forum if you think you may benefit from a non 12 step approach

D
Old 06-21-2015, 03:34 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Phew have to say that I have been feeling pretty ok. Sweating like I can't believe.
I did actually make it to see my dad for father's day.

And I am actually doing the cooking. I'm a mess in the kitchen, but i've successfully julliened a bunch of apples and carrots and made a lovely coleslaw. I'll be cooking some pork chops in some mushroom sauce later.

This sweating though... Anyone had any luck on something that stops/manages it? I am literally sitting under a fan while I type this.

And no i'm NOT sweating in the food! :P

Thanks again for everyone's support.

Day 5 will be great.
Day 6 at work? Now that's another story for another day.
Old 06-21-2015, 05:03 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you just need to go through the sweating - trying to stop was useless for me.

It got progressively better for a week or so.
D
Old 06-21-2015, 05:16 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

It takes time.
I sat in front of an AC unit and that just created cold sweat.
Old 06-21-2015, 07:36 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

You're body gets rid of alcohol through sweating, urine and respiration. Try to ride it out, I believe you are going to feel better. Nice to hear you have an appetite. To me that was always a good sign.
Old 06-21-2015, 09:58 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Think of the sweating as a good thing, your body is cleansing it's self of all that garbage you have been feeding it.

Drink lots of water. It will be much better soon.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:20 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the good ideas and the warm wishes. Last night was infinitely better than the previous nights.

Day 6:
Well, I am still pretty shaky and my eyes hurt.. Sweating is pretty much entirely gone. I decided one more day at home couldn't hurt so I asked my boss to switch my telework day to today.
I'm sure i'll have hundreds of emails to attempt to respond to, and maybe I can get a little more sleep in.

I know i'm not out of the water. The real test comes once I feel 100%. The habit has to be broken. And I think support here, and maybe a meeting (though last time wasn't good, just made me want to run away) should get me through.

I feel like I wish the human mind could remember physical pain and suffering so that I could just pull that up the next time I feel like drinking. But then, who would have more than one child? :P

Right now i'll just keep trucking along on SR and reading some literature and deal with it one minute at a time.

I know I can do this.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:34 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

If I understand this correctly you've taken 6 days away from work to get through this? So you've got a significant investment in this thing.
I believe you hit the nail on the head, we have short memories when its convenient. Like when we are back to feeling great, we think it'll be OK to give her hell again and it won't happen "this time". Go back and read this thread, hopefully it will remind you that if you do this again, you will feel like 0% not 100%. My 2 cents.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:52 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thanks thomas! This would be my 4th day of work out but 6th of not drinking-weekend and such (i telework a lot so it's not really too much of an issue thankfully).
Yea I am going to have to see what kind of support network I can setup when I know i'm convienently forgetting how painful this has been. Might even be worse than 0% because there was a point where I wished I was dead.

So basically the end of day 6 and I have been ok. Some random itchyness but drinking a lot of water has helped.

I also started a journal to help get my thoughts down. It gets lonely (and sometimes a bit crowded) in my head and that escape is definitely one of the reasons for my binges.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:31 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Day 7: Work is hell. Getting to work was hell. Concentration is hell. I have a few meetings that I have to do today and I have no idea how I am going to get through them. But I will.

Hopefully the morning will get a bit better and I can stop being so anxious and counting the hours to go home.
Old 06-23-2015, 09:39 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Do your best

1 week sober is amazing ZoneEater well done bud
Old 06-23-2015, 10:12 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hi Zoned -

Welcome to SR

There are other options besides AA, such as rational recovery that you can look into. You will need some sort of support, though. My tools are a combination of approaches that I've taken from a variety of sources.

Have you joined this month's group newcomers chat thread yet?
Old 06-23-2015, 10:29 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ZoneEater View Post
Hey all.

New to the forum though I've been reading for years. Wasn't ready to come to grips what was just a problem I had on weekends often turning every Friday night through Sunday into a party with friends. Maybe it wasn't a problem then but it is now. And maybe I did have some grip that it was or I wouldn't have been lurking for years, right?

What was partying turned into drinking a few beers every night and binging weekends one I got my high stress well paying gov job at 27.

I'm 32 now and my body hates me with a passion.

Today is DAY 4 and I'm actually over the worst of the withdrawal systems. I have a bit of itchy skin and a muddled mind, but all the worst has come and gone.

So now I need to get my life back on track and I'm trying to figure out how to do that. I tried AA and it wasn't for me- at least now the few I went to. also the surrendering to a higher power thing.

What alternatives do i have that do offer some face to face?

Would love your support. I never want to drink again. I can tell that it's impossible for me to just moderate.

Thanks!

Zoned
This is what my sponsor said to me:

"Nobody....ever recovers...by beginning with a list of things that they are not willing to do..."
Old 06-23-2015, 01:51 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Adventurer

Originally Posted by Erikst View Post

This is what my sponsor said to me:

"Nobody....ever recovers...by beginning with a list of things that they are not willing to do..."
To recover I had to do whatever what necessary to get myself better.

Nobody goes to a heart surgeon and tells them a list of what they can't do, they just do whatever it takes, because it is a life or death situation. This is essentially the same thing.
Old 06-23-2015, 01:59 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Stay with it ZoneEater.
Lots of water, good food and as much sleep as you can manage.
Good going so far