Notices

Depression and recovery

Old 06-20-2015, 08:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Depression and recovery

Hi all. Am new to this forum so thought I'd start a new thread (as advised somewhere)... Am 36 years old about 3 weeks into recovery from severe alcohol use - and I'm a bloody mess. Have been trying to get sober since about February but put myself through several disastrous relapses, each one worse than the previous. Ended up in hospital 4 times due to seizures etc (my god i am horrified writing this and SO ashamed). Have, naturally, failed at my university studies (again, the shame) and am now where I am - depressed and terrified with difficulties concentrating on anything but the most basic. And reading posts on these forums, which I do. A lot. I have put my family through absolut hell and they are so tired and disappointed. Failed to connect normally and make new friends with people at university and without the kind people in AA I would feel very very alone. I have used alcohol to dull pain since about 2013 and things have progressed to disaster quickly over the last year. I feel fat, ugly and useless. Feel I have no...content, contours. Just pain and angst left. I know I should exercise etc and fill my time with meaningful activities but finding even that extremely hard right now. As I said above, basic necessities enough and dragging myself to meetings. Please, please someone tell me this will get better.

VERY grateful from response from someone.

L.
Old 06-20-2015, 08:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

Things can change for you. Don't drink, keep getting to meetings. Give yourself time to heal.

Sending love and hugs to you
Old 06-20-2015, 08:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you...

...so very much. Yes, i keep clinging to that. There is really no alternative, is there? Difficult giving myself time as am plagued by 'should' and 'must'. Must get better, should lose weight, should catch up on my studies (feels impossible as cant keep two thoughts straight). My family (am staying with them at mo) so very keen on detecting 'progress' and return to my, well, old self (efficient, entertaining and creative blah blah). Feel supervised and ungrateful. Wah.
Old 06-20-2015, 08:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Things were rough those first few months for me. It got better . Congrats on 3 weeks
Old 06-20-2015, 09:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum EverNew!!

Things will get better with time, in the same way my drinking progressed to what it became, creating a new Sober lifestyle, new habits, routines, it all took time and with it things started to get better!!
Old 06-20-2015, 10:38 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR EverNew
Old 06-20-2015, 04:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sending love and hugs! Xxx
Old 06-20-2015, 04:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yes, it will get better the longer you stay sober. It's hard at first, but it is possible to build a new and better sober life.

Welcome to the family!
Old 06-20-2015, 04:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

A lot of people screw their lives up in various ways with alcohol, and then get sober and think that life is suddenly going to be great.

For me, alcohol abuse was a gradual downhill progression. When I finally put the brakes on, it was a gradual uphill climb. Being the inpatient type, I wanted things to get better immediately. It didn't work that way.

I've been sober several years now, and my life is the best it's every been. So yes, taking alcohol out of my life made a huge difference.
Old 06-20-2015, 05:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

We alcoholics tend to be very hard on ourselves. If you are going to meetings and not drinking I wouldn't worry about anything else for the time being.

It does get better, but it doesn't happen immediately. Focus on meetings and not drinking and it will get easier!
Old 06-20-2015, 05:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My contribution is not new or awe inspiring but for now, just stay sober. Make it priority #1. Pieces will start to fall in place. 3 weeks is a very good start. If you start doubting yourself or having thoughts of drinking, come back and read your original post. It was pretty intense.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I can certainly relate. I've had 5 hospitalizations for withdrawal, injuries, alcoholic hepatitis. I'm am 38, and lost everything to the bottle. career, house, fiancé, dignity. Gone.

The thing that keeps me going though is that I mainly lost material things and a few relationships that probably wouldnt worked out anyway. I knew I was self destructing and I didn't care.

With increasing life expectancy I could live to 80-90. Plenty if time to rebuild a happy life.

Don't give up. One day at a time.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Don't take on everything at once! Just do what it takes to not drink and you will be surprised how other things start to fall into place. Be kind to yourself and don't look back...you aren't going that way.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
kgr

Congrats on three weeks! That's such a great start. Keep posting and reading on here... It's helped me get through my first five days, I know it's not much, but it's a start. Everyone has to start somewhere and you have a great start under your belt. Keep your head up and keep up the good work!
Old 06-21-2015, 02:38 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks all for your comments... I will keep posting, it helps. I don't really experience cravings as such, just a great emptiness and curious inability to be 'active'. Went to my meeting last night and find that I can talk and think THERE with fellow addicts but am so tongue-tied with friends and family (especially the latter). Anyone recognise this?
Old 06-21-2015, 02:55 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I am right there with you but only at 5 days!!!! Lost pretty much everything in the matter of a year and a half or two. Hearing the stories of people who claim it gets better is helping so much. Just know you are not alone. I wish I was at three weeks!! What a wonderful accomplishment!!!
Old 06-21-2015, 03:51 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LostLilly View Post
I am right there with you but only at 5 days!!!! Lost pretty much everything in the matter of a year and a half or two. Hearing the stories of people who claim it gets better is helping so much. Just know you are not alone. I wish I was at three weeks!! What a wonderful accomplishment!!!
Right... Now Ive figured out how to quote, Im a bit slow . Yes, it IS helping - hugely. As they say LostLilly, keep going. Feel with you as I do with everyone going through this and having lost so much due to whatever substance. Christ, there are so many of us... i think about the words in a post above saying dont take on everything at once. And yeah, it is hard that. I have to try to work actively at accepting that this is how things are. NOW. No more no less. I am very afraid I have caused some kind of permanent damage - cognitive function for example. Please, let me regain my ability to think... I am so worried about this. I know there is sort of no point worrying about it, I know. Just have to wait and see.

Love to y'all.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:55 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Do your best

Time is a great healer EverNew
Old 06-21-2015, 05:10 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

It doesn't get better automatically, though. It gets better because when you are sober you can do the things you need to do to make the most of your life.

For example, going to the doctor about your depression
Old 06-21-2015, 05:13 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

For about six months after I gave up I was very fuzzy intellectual speaking, had bad recall ability and thought I'd done some permanent damage.

It got better.

Lots of people go through that.