Notices

Depression and recovery

Old 06-21-2015, 05:31 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

It takes time. My sponsor told me I didn't get sick in a day and I wasn't going to get better in one either. God promises to change us so slowly that we won't realize it is happening but change is occurring. Everyday we are sober we are a success.

If we have one foot in the future and one in the past we will **** all over today.

Today will be a hard day for me but I will make the most of it sober
Old 06-21-2015, 03:44 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi EverNew

It takes a little time for mind and body to repair...and that time is usually a little longer than we'd like.

3 weeks is great but, if my experience is any guide, things will progressively get better by 3 months

Of course if you're particularly worried about your depression and lack of joy, you can always see your Dr?

D
Old 06-22-2015, 03:55 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Problems really do surface...

So much I have neglected to do and just kept escaping into my stupour. All comes crashing down. Always been a procrastinator but it certainly got worse.

yes, I have sought medical advice for depression. They do what they can. I think though only time and continued sobriety will lift it eventually. + exercise etc. And yes, totally agree with comment above - this IS an uphill struggle. Has to be. <muster patience and keep going.

Love L
Old 06-22-2015, 04:49 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Welcome, Ever! Yes, this can feel so discouraging. I've had lots of troubles with depression over the years. My drinking was largely to escape feeling depressed and having a difficult time fitting in. Life isn't easy but nothing is better drunk. I am so grateful to be sober. I will be at 11 months on July 7th with just one small relapse. I feel so much better! My brain seems to have undergone some significant healing over this time.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:22 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Thank you! Reassuring to hear re healing of brain. Fervently hope this will happen to me too.

Funny day today. Don't want to drink exactly, I dont miss the absolute misery of it at all. I do however want to...forget. Realise this pleasure I take in sleeping contains a wish to escape. Replacement addictive behaviour...? Hm.
Old 06-22-2015, 05:51 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Temporary replacement addictive behavior is not necessarily all bad, imho. It's about what helps us get through the early stages in a reasonable way.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:15 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Yeah maybe youre right. Its early days. I live temporarily with my parents who get very distressed when I sleep til 10 (Im not being productive). Ah, this all sounds like the most terrible whining. Apologies if anyone finds it tiresome.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:03 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I spoke to the doctor about my depression as soon as I went to treatment this last time. We waited a few weeks to get the opioids out of my system and then added the first dose of an antidepressant that has always worked for me. You can pry that out of my cold, dead hands. I have clinical depression though. We also added Naltrexone and I like the mixture. No depression and I have to be organized enough to stay off the Naltrexone for three days (which I'm not) if I even decided to contemplate using. That three days gives me the chance to make phone calls, talk to a counselor, etc. Quite a road block there. I like it!