Notices

Withdrawals?

Old 06-19-2015, 07:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Withdrawals?

Hello there. I'm 47 and have not missed a day of drinking in about 17 years. 1/2 pint to pint of Smirnoff followed by a bottle of wine, night after night....
Nobody, including my wife, knows the extent to which this has consumed me and I feel shame for the deceit, the endangering of my families expectation that they have a healthy father etc...
Woke up sick of it all earlier this week and decided to never drink again.
Considering withdrawal can be serious and that I am not a gallon vodka/day person but also not a wine sipper I have been very worried about how my body would react.
Tonight, in about 2 hours, will make 48 hours without a drink and I am feeling shockingly good. Yes, it seems awful that I don't have my crutch waiting for me at home but there is also a feeling of total peace that maybe this first step is going to continue to better things.
I'm eating really well, (always have really) and walking twice a day but other than night none of the awful fears are coming true.
From your experience, am I going to get a hall pass on the physical withdrawal? I'm anxiously awaiting the "all clear" on DT's etc...
Any experiences would be appreciated.
Thanks
Old 06-19-2015, 07:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome!

I don't know about the withdrawal. I had been drinking a regular-sized bottle of wine every day near the end and did not have any really noticeable withdrawal symptoms. Hopefully someone who knows more than I will be able to give you that info.

That feeling of peace is so good. I was so unhappy about my drinking that when I finally stopped I felt so much better :-)
Old 06-19-2015, 07:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think I suffered minor withdrawals (anxiety, etc.) for 24 hours. The boyfriend drank about as much as you did and just stopped one day and didn't have any withdrawals either. I would just be on your toes. Good luck.

*Note, this is just personal experience, this is not medical advice at all.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're feeling well Don.

None of us are Doctors - but if you feel good now I'd take that as a good sign

If it changes you know what to do

D
Old 06-19-2015, 07:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I can't give medical advice, but in my experience I was usually pretty good at the 48 hour mark.

I also quit drinking (for the first time, for 5 years) at age 47.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

If you're two days in and feeling good, that's a good thing. Don't hesitate to get medical help if you start feeling bad.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
kgr

In my experience, serious withdrawal would start about 12 hours after my last drink. 48 hours I would still be sick, but able to function. Again, not a dr., just my personal experience. I was drinking about a half bottle of hard liquor or 2-3 liters of wine over the course of a day. I only would seriously withdrawal after a two-four day binge.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks all. Just officially hit 48 hours. It means a lot that you took the time to write. I have dealt with this secretly for so many years and to have strangers offer help struck me far more than I expected.
Thanks again.
Old 06-20-2015, 08:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Don!!
Old 06-20-2015, 11:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to SR
Old 06-20-2015, 08:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi Don, I'm envious. But then again not really, because if I didn't experience withdrawals I'd still be banging away at the rum every night. Trust us that have gone through it, you don't want to. Worse than the worst case of flu you've ever had. I personally would consider yourself lucky and you deserve a pat on the back for making a decision that will make you a better husband, father etc...and the shame of deceit will fade away.
Old 06-22-2015, 02:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Still plugging along...

Thanks Thomas.
Today is Day 5 and I feel really great. Eating, exercising, sleeping. hanging out coherently with my wife and kids at night..... I did get the hall pass but do not want to fall into some sort of foolish hubris that perhaps I didn't really have a problem. Thank God I kept a journal my whole life. Just have to take a look at virtually any late night entry to know what a fool I was. So, I pray that I have had my one and only withdrawal for this lifetime.
Take care,
D