Notices

Fridays are so HARD & lonely...

Old 06-19-2015, 02:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fridays are so HARD & lonely...

Why are Fridays so hard? I feel like everyone on the planet is out at happy hour or partying except me. It's FRIDAY!!! Isn't that what everyone does? I know....poor me.....! I sound like a complete baby right now. Whine whine...

My head just gets so messed up on Fridays. I am NOT drinking today no matter what and am NOT changing my mind...but I just needed to vent.

My husband goes out and plays softball every Friday night and drinks beer with the team during and after. That has been going on for years (even during my 5.5 years of sobriety). He knows I hate it but I am not gonna stop him from having fun after a long week at work. He's not an alcoholic. He even invites me to come along and I have a few times but it's hard because I'm literally the only one not drinking.

Anyway...I guess I just need to figure out some fun things to do with my time now that I'm not pouring poison down my throat.

Another thing...I have been feeling lonely. Not sure why? I am surrounded my kids all day long. I guess I'm just not sure where I fit in sometimes. I can't hang out with all the friends that are bar drinkers anymore. I don't know that many sober people. Other than AA, not sure where to find them? Should I become a nun? Nuns don't get drunk, right? Ha. Just kidding.

I just don't really know where my life is going right now. My only goal for the last 18 months has been to get sober again after my relapse last year.

Just feeling very lost in my life today. The only thing I know for sure is I want to stay sober no matter what! Does anyone relate to my post?

Thank you! It feels good just getting that out...
Old 06-19-2015, 02:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Friday's were always really hard for me too. It was like the witching hour on steroids. It does get easier with time as I'm sure you are aware having 5.5 years of sobriety. Make a plan to be super busy every Friday until you feel more comfortable being sober.
Old 06-19-2015, 02:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I sure do, not every Friday but lately I've been kind of sick of the fact that I can't drink normally. The key word is normal so I know it's never going to work for me. It's a passing thought though. Come tomorrow morning we are glad that we didn't drink, that I can assure you. Hang in there.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Fridays are incredibly hard. What keeps me on track is thinking about waking up early on Saturday and feeling good and being productive instead of nursing a hangover!
Old 06-19-2015, 03:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

No it's not what "everybody" does, it's simply one of the fairytales our addiction tries to convince us of.

Where I am it's 11pm and there are many that I know that are tucked up in bed asleep many hours ago as they work in retail, or in hospitals, I even know a guy who's a fireman on call most weekends, so a Friday night is just another night to them.

It did though take a long time to figure out my life after getting Sober, I felt lost, like a fish out of water, not sure where I was going and if I even wanted to go there, but time is a great healer!!

Hang in there Serenidad!!
Old 06-19-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Do something productive w your time......go to the gym.....volunteer somewhere.....take a class on something you want to learn.....go to meetup.com and see what interests you there.....
Old 06-19-2015, 03:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

None of us are out getting wasted the fact your here & sober is something you should value

Serenidad you know why your doing this & how important it is to us

Keep on keeping on why not plan sober activity on friday evenings like badminton etc ?
Old 06-19-2015, 03:16 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ugh. It doesn't help that a bunch of moms just dropped all their kids off at my house to hang out with MY kids and they are all going out to drink.

They literally dropped their kids off (which I agreed to) right after I started this thread and said "now we are going to drink our asses off because it's FRIDAY!" I haven't even had a chance to read your replies.

That really just happened! What a loser I feel like. My husbands out, all the moms are out. Neighbors are out. I'm home with my cat, dog and a bunch of kids. Whine whine whine. I need to STOP IT NOW! (((Smack!))) :-(
Old 06-19-2015, 03:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberween View Post
Friday's were always really hard for me too. It was like the witching hour on steroids. It does get easier with time as I'm sure you are aware having 5.5 years of sobriety. Make a plan to be super busy every Friday until you feel more comfortable being sober.
That a good idea to stay super busy on Fridays. Any ideas on what I should do to stay busy? I'm drawing a blank.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:21 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

That's okay that your babysitting......next week drop your kids off and go play yourself.....soberly!
Old 06-19-2015, 03:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Those people just think they are having fun. Something in their life is wrong if they feel the need to get obliterated. Celebrate that you are stronger than them and feel pity for them instead of yourself. Tomorrow you will be the star while they are in bed throwing up.
Old 06-19-2015, 03:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tnman1967 View Post
Those people just think they are having fun. Something in their life is wrong if they feel the need to get obliterated. Celebrate that you are stronger than them and feel pity for them instead of yourself. Tomorrow you will be the star while they are in bed throwing up.
Is it bad that I HOPE they are throwing up in the morning? ;-)
Old 06-19-2015, 03:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Whine whine whine = wine wine wine in my book. Venting is good and I do a bunch of it but when I wallow in it too long it's dangerous territory.

The moms. They trust you enough to drop their kids off while they go out. There are many times no one would dream of leaving kids in my care.

I went to a parade for the start of little league one year and many of the moms were sporting sunglasses and complaining of their headache hangovers from the night before. That won't be you.

We're such a fun bunch on here. Come join the weekenders thread on Friday.

And nuns do drink. A woman in an AA meeting I attend is a former nun.

Maybe write a gratitude list of all the BAD things you miss out on when you don't drink. Hangovers. Rocketing anxiety. Puking. Sweats. Headaches. Not getting anything done and enjoying absolutely nothing for the rest of the weekend because I'm too I'll or drunk.

Hang in there
Old 06-19-2015, 03:39 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Well, last time I checked I'm on the planet and I'm going to putz in the yard for a while, go to my favor gyros place for carry out. See what's on the tube or maybe read. Then go to bed so I can see all my buddies at my early morning AA meeting. What I used to call boredom I now call serenity
Old 06-19-2015, 03:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Fridays and saturdays are really hard.

I started by going to meetings on fridays amd saturdays...got there early, was the last one to leave.

Got invited to the "after meetings" and it helped me stay sober.

I kept doing so for a couple weeks...I really helped me..

Just a suggestion but perhaps you could try ? Not being alone friday night helped me. And I even realized that I could have fun with other sober people...who would have thought that? lol
Old 06-19-2015, 03:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

The only difference between Friday and the other days is that Friday starts with an 'f'. Otherwise it's just a day like any other. And no, not everyone is out getting blasted. I'm not. I'm enjoying a quiet evening at home with my dogs and cats.

Why not do something with the kids who are visiting your kids? Can you organize a game for them to play?

Spend time with the kids and their friends if you can. Kids grow up really quickly and before you know it, they'll be grown and gone. Enjoy them while they're still at home.

Old 06-19-2015, 03:47 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

You know, you all have a point. Friday night and weekends are hard at first and thank you for reminding me of that. I'm here to say if you stick with it, they will get infinitely easier. I no longer think "it's Friday and I'm really missing out on drinking". In the beginning I made sure to keep busy with mindless tasks and I also went to a beginners AA meeting to have face to face contact with other sober adults. And I learned there were fun people there and I could laugh and not feel sorry for myself. Hugs Serenidad!
Old 06-19-2015, 04:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Would you like a little CHEESE to go with that Whine? No...really. There are some places and organizations that offer "Cheese Tastings". No Wine allowed.

Cheese and crackers that compliment each other are served and discussed. Wine only detracts from the flavor of the cheese's.

Look around. They're out there.

DD
Old 06-19-2015, 04:40 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hey Serenidad

Its Saturday morning here but my Friday was another peaceful evening with my family. We watched a movie and relaxed in each other's company. I wouldn't ever trade that for a night of 'excitement', ie, drunken disaster . And its a complete myth that folks are out in bars and clubs having a whale of a time (especially in winter here) ! As I go to my favourite cafe and bakery, I am reminded that those folks woke up at 3am to prepare !

Relax, read a book, watch a movie, or simply stare at the night sky with all its beauty.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:47 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
~sb

I periodically hit a 6:15 meeting after work. It helps to be with others.

SR has a meeting 9 pm EST, maybe join us in the chat room here?