Notices

Day 1 (Part: II) Also, can't tell if withdrawal, or hangover.

Old 06-19-2015, 01:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 (Part: II) Also, can't tell if withdrawal, or hangover.

I started drinking again at the airport, because I had 4 hours to kill waiting around the terminal before my flight left. I basically had a few drinks at the airport, and I've been drinking pretty much ever since (a couple weeks). This is so frustrating. I had a great trip sober, but as soon as I get back, it's back to the bottle.

Could I have withdrawal symptoms, or am I just hungover?

Nausea
Trembly (only when I try to do things with my hands)
Really "out of it"
Vertigo
Sweating
Depression

It's been about 14 hours since the last drink (I had 5 standard drinks last night..down from about 10 on a regular night). I can't tell the difference between a simple hangover, and minor withdrawal though. I don't want to go out with a friend tomorrow if I'm going to be hallucinating giant flies and so on. I have a history of severe withdrawal symptoms, so not sure if it's even possible for me to just have a hangover.

Has anyone else been fine after just a couple weeks of nightly heavy drinking?

Any other advice would also be great. I hate what this has done to my life. I don't even recognize myself anymore.
Old 06-19-2015, 01:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I hate to be the barer of bad news but I'd say you have mild withdrawals. I too am very sensitive to these. Even from drinking a 6 pack a night I get them.
I'd suggest staying home and concentrate on breaking the cycle. You don't want to put yourself at risk of drinking another night.
Hang in there, bunker down and push through. There's light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 06-19-2015, 01:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Go to your doctor?

I think it is withdrawal but a Doctor will know for sure because they can examine you.
Old 06-19-2015, 01:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 06-19-2015, 01:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's always best to check with your dr if you're concerned about withdrawals, and we can't give any kind of medical advice.

I hope you feel better.
Old 06-19-2015, 02:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Moving forward changing up your plan might be a good idea as 4hrs at the airport didn't seem to be planned out, I used to do the same, and without a plan drinking was my default activity.

Go at things again!! You can do this!!
Old 06-19-2015, 06:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think you guys are right about the withdrawal thing. It isn't bad, like I still had a pretty normal day, but I promised my friend I'd bring her out hiking tomorrow. I really want to go, but not sure how much fun I'll be all brain-fogged out of my mind. I forgot we made plans, otherwise I'd have detoxed 3 days ago.

I seriously need some exercise though. I used to go for a walk every day, but now I hardly want to get out of bed.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:24 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I sat outside today and I started tearing up. Pretty much all day. I was looking around at the flowers and the birds, while wondering, when did I become such a wreck, where I didn't see any of it? I didn't just lose interest in my life, it was all life.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi dunkelheit.......that's depression talking......I was crying all the time too.......but then I went to see a psychiatrist about 6 months ago and whatever he prescribed is working......I don't cry at all.......my temper is better and I've been more sober this year than as far as I can remember .......I'm still working on getting sober but I definitely have a better base to launch myself from.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Dunkelheit, I feel for you being in a bad place right now. I personally believe its the alcohol that has influenced your thoughts that you've lost interest in life and teared up over it. Been there. To your question about a few weeks of heavy drinking and coming out of it unscathed, for me, absolutely not. It was quite the party for the first 10-12 days, the next 10 days were living hell. The withdrawals scared the crap out of me, and although I had been reading this site for months, it was shortly after I actually created an account and started posting. It was one of the smarter things I've done. I'm not perfect, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt. Hang in there. Wishing you the very best.