Notices

Desperate To Understand?

Old 08-27-2004, 03:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Headed in the right direction.

Desperate To Understand?

Hi Carrie Here - alcoholic -

I too tried many times to stop drinking, and never understood why I'd find myself with a beer bottle again or a hangover again or throwing up...AGAIN. It was so weird. Why could some drink "normally" and I couldn't?

I finally read it in a book....that in an alcoholic's body, alcohol and sugar affect act differently than ti does in an average person.

Alcohol in my body does two things:
1) it takes alcohol and makes your brain sedated (that is why we can't stop afer 1 drink);and
2) my body became dependent on the sugars that occur in alcohol, (that explains the desire to drink again). It goes on from there. That is a very simple explanation. But only after I realized it is a CHEMICAL process in my body and not just a simple matter of will power, I knew I needed to get a plan in order to stop drinking.

I hope you find the power to stop drinking here or in AA, or BOTH if you want to stop. Best wishes! I'm 40 days sober and loving every minute of it!
Old 08-27-2004, 04:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Castaway

Hi CSB,

I began to wonder if having an extreme sweet tooth as a child made alcohol even more inviting to me. Our body's sure are complicated. Thanks again.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
We all need each other.

Red face

Hey Sandy and Carrie--I wondered that too. As a young child, I used to snead Twinkies and Oatmeal Creme Pies out of the pantry and hide the wrappers in the couch. Think maybe I was an alcoholic before I ever even had a drink??!!
Old 08-27-2004, 04:29 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Castaway

Hey Laura,
It's gotta be! That's two of us now thinking the same thing! HAHAHA!
Twinkies and Oatmeal Cream Pies!
I ate anything sugared..but you brought back Moon Pies and sneaking homemade brownies in that squeaky old oven at midnight while watching All-star wrestling and horror movies!
HAHAHA!
Sandy

And that's how this alcoholic was born!
Old 08-27-2004, 09:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Originally Posted by Sandy Marie
Hey Laura,
It's gotta be! That's two of us now thinking the same thing! HAHAHA!
Twinkies and Oatmeal Cream Pies!
I ate anything sugared..but you brought back Moon Pies and sneaking homemade brownies in that squeaky old oven at midnight while watching All-star wrestling and horror movies!
HAHAHA!
Sandy

And that's how this alcoholic was born!
Chief J Strong Bull and Creature Double Feature... ahhh remembering the days.

That sugar thing does sound about right. I can go weeks without a candy bar but then it seems I go on a binge and can't get enough. Lasts for a week or two then tapers off again.
Old 08-28-2004, 05:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Castaway

Thanks for sharing the memories Best. The good ol days.

I read a reliable source this morning that said our body actually makes a small amount of free alcohol on it's own. The alcohol is produced in the gastrointestinal tract by the fermentation processs of normal beneficial bacteria at all times whether we drink or not. The liver then removes it safely from the system.
I wasn't looking for this information. I was actually looking for the effect of alcohol on the natural bacteria in our bodies. I imagine the effect isn't good and will keep looking.
Have a great day. I hope we get some more posts on our childhood memories of eating sweets. Super Bubble gum was only a penny then, now it's a nickel.
This is a good day to stay off booze and pills.
Sandy
Old 08-28-2004, 06:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
just j

Good morning all,

Great conversation this morning. I too was a Twinkie (and chocolate milk) addict as a kid. Then, when I got to the age of a teen I started dieting (and drinking actually) The dieting turned into an eating disorder in early adulthood that lasted many many years. The craving for sugar I think does have something to do with the alcohol as well as the eating disorder.

I would love to hear ANY medical info on either of these subjects. One of the things that helps me stay sober (Day 6) is that I have automatic alcohol medical info sent to me each day. When I read about what it does to our bodies, especially women, I am really encouraged to not take a drink.

J
Old 08-28-2004, 06:25 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Castaway

Good Morning Jalyn,
I was a compulsive dieter and exerciser. I'm not sure what the defining line is though to call what I did a disorder.
I know I was and still am a chocoholic. I've developed so many bad habits.
I need to be taken behind the barn and put out of my misery. {LOL}
But, before I do that, let me just congratulate you again on staying clean. Isn't today Day 5 or 6? You're doing great and love your avatar.
Sandy
Old 08-28-2004, 06:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Jalyn
I'd love to have that web site - of the medical info - if you care to share it.

I was all about anything sweet. As a child, I was never allowed sweets, so on a rare occasion or holiday when some ws available... I'd binge on whipped cream, pie, hard candies, fudge, christmas cookies, halloween candy....until I was just about sick. When I got a chance to babysit for someone I'd totally raid their fridge of thing's you can't believe...like eating most of the marichino cheries or finding the open bag of chocolate chips in the pantry and hogging handfuls of those....praying nobody would notice.

I was on the Atkins Diet (virtually ZERO sugars) for about 4 months before I went sober and I think that really helped me to have no cravings. My body chemestry stayed more level and I had hardly any mood swings. I'm still on it now and maybe I'm addicted to that. I have lost 40 pounds on it and it keeps me feeling sane.
Now, if I slip, it is with a ginger snap, not with gin.

I got a lot of my good medical info from a book called "How to stop drinking without AA" - but believe me, the book says to try to go to AA and I attend AA now. IT WORKS!!!
Old 08-28-2004, 06:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Castaway

Hi CarrieSueBee,

More coffee?
Here's a web source http://www.amsa.org/resource/natlinit/alcohol.cfm

There's a lot you probably already know, but I found a couple of new points in it.
This summer, I went on the South Beach diet which is just a tad different from Atkins. You're absolutely right, my mood swings were reduced and I felt better overall. I'm going to pull that cookbook out this morning and get back with the program. I've been off it for a couple of weeks and that must be why I'm getting that rollercoaster effect again.
Sandy
Old 08-28-2004, 08:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
In Memory Of

40 days !! Great ! (( carriesue))
Old 08-28-2004, 08:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

good morning everyone, I sure enjoy reading all of yall's captions in here. It is somewhat adiccting in itself. Oh no, there goes my adiccting personality again.
Old 08-28-2004, 08:37 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

(((((((CarrieSueBee)))))))))
I think watching you find understanding is helping me to better understand as well.
Thanks!

(((((((Sandi))))))))
Sorry I have been pretty busy lately and missed you online. Sounds like all is going pretty darned well. Keep it up, I see your spreading some light.

(((((((Margaret Ann)))))))))
CRAP Caption Reading Anonymous Program LOL Thanks for the chuckle this morning. Really enjoyed meeting you in livetime chat yesterday. Hope you and everyone else has a great day today!
Old 08-28-2004, 09:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
just j

Hi all,

Carrie, I will post the website when I find it. I erase it every day after I read it so nobody sees it. If I can't find it I will get one tomorrow and get it to you then. I like having an email waiting for me in the morning telling me the bad effects of alcohol on women's bodies. (hearts and minds as well).

Sandy, thanx for commenting on the avatar. I could not find any crows feet to put around the eyes however so I do not look this young! ha

Sure with I could do the live chat and meetings on line. For some reason I can't get the java to download on my computer....

Take care, j
Old 08-28-2004, 06:59 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Jalyn - I can't wait hear from you!

Sandi - THANKS SO MUCH!!!

Interesting how diet - sugar etc. plays a large role in our body chemestry...and I wonder if it isn't lending itself (via mood swings) to lead to relapses (sometimes)...I mean, in somebody who might normally be more level headed if they weren't on that sugar roller coaster cycle...maybe a more level blood sugar level would provide a tad bit more serenity????.... Just a thought.
Old 08-28-2004, 07:16 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
just j

Hey Carrie,

I have not forgotten about you but have not been able to find the site. I should get another email from them in the morning and then will post the site to you as soon as I get it.

When I first read the book Changing for Good, one of the steps to recovery of any type of habit or addiction was to become informed. I thought I was pretty well informed, however, when I started searching the internet for effects of alcohol on women I was amazed. It is cancer cancer cancer along with liver damage and damage to the nervous system which includes the brain. Anyway, it really made me think.

I will talk to you tomorrow! J
Old 08-28-2004, 07:24 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
just j

ooops...I totally forgot what I was going to say about the sugar. I have many friends that do the no sugar thing. I actually do it and just use diet products like pop and Splenda. There is all kind of evidence out there about keeping the sugar levels constant. I am sure all the sugar in alcohol counts, so when you stop drinking it would be common to crave sugar. There is a book called Sugar Busters I have somewhere and I will look for it and see if it has anything on alcohol or anything else that may help us! J
Old 08-28-2004, 08:43 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Last edited by addastar; 08-29-2004 at 11:26 AM.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:04 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Last edited by addastar; 08-29-2004 at 11:27 AM.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:27 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Gold Member

Hi ya addastar. LOL, welcome to SR! UMMMMMMM whats up. I'm not much on chat,but you can PM me if ya want. LOL, I have hormonal imbalances and they are great in getting me out of hot water when I go off!