SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Drunk at work (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/369928-drunk-work.html)

feren 06-19-2015 05:44 AM

Drunk at work

Ok first of all, sorry to post this as I realise most people are in recovery whereas I have barely begun. Well failed today. I have a work night out and on day 2 of sobriety and anxiousness I snapped and told myself I need booze just to get through the evening. Despite yesterday posting the opposite having been on site I just got home and downed 2 bottles of wine. I am embarassed to admit it but noone else to tell. This sounds weazily and pathetic on this inspirational site but any tips on hiding the smell as I have to go back to work then work nite out. I feel awful.

Dee74 06-19-2015 05:59 AM

I look back and my drinking was kind of like an elastic band that I stretched and stretched until ...it broke.

I'm not going to give you any tips on disguising your breath - thats not what this site is for, man.

But I will give you some advice.

Draw up a recovery plan before the elastic band snaps and your private drinking becomes very very public.

Here's a good start:
https://store.samhsa.gov/shin/conten...0/SMA-3720.pdf

D

DrunkenDonuts 06-19-2015 06:02 AM

I wouldn't be going back to work at all.

sva777 06-19-2015 06:05 AM

I would miss work especially if your doing something that could people in harms way, even driving.

I would then agree with Dee and make a plan now.

Della1968 06-19-2015 06:05 AM

Don't go. I tried to do it one last time and got caught. Last day I worked that job. They may get upset if you call in but trust me they get more upset if you are there under the influence.

feren 06-19-2015 06:09 AM

Thank you very much for the responses all. Dee yes I will look at your link later. It's the weekend soon so the ideal time to get my crap together. I would never drive drunk but in a way being hungover affects the community in other ways in my job

Serenidad 06-19-2015 06:13 AM

Can you call off work and use your day to come up with a plan to stay sober? Maybe treatment, counseling, AA, another program.....

Maybe stay home from the work function tonite too? This day could be one of the best days of your life if you use it to build a foundation for sobriety. :-)

Hang in there. Hangovers suck! The last time I was hungover and feeling like I was gonna die, a friend of mine in recovery said, "you never have to feel this bad again!" And she was right, since I stopped drinking, I haven't had a hangover. Imagine that! It truly is better waking up feeling good.

Hang in there. :-)

doggonecarl 06-19-2015 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by feren (Post 5428802)
... I have to go back to work then work nite out. I feel awful.

You drank during the last work nite out. Skip this one.

Pipping 06-19-2015 06:17 AM

Hi Feren,
I could have written your post a couple of years ago. Two bottles of wine was pretty much the norm and I would frequently turn up for work hungover. I was never confronted about it but looking back people would have known. I has a very responsible job in terms of public safety and could have easily harmed someone. I must have been over the limit every morning and that fills me with shame. If you shouldn't drive or work then don't. People might be annoyed but you can't arrested for calling in sick. Good luck, you are in the right place here, this site saved my life .

feren 06-19-2015 06:17 AM

Is the smell of drinking that bad? I have to go back to work. I know all about sweating out of pores etc but I have no choice. Too much pressure. Will shower and chew gum. Duck's sake.

feren 06-19-2015 06:18 AM

Thankyou pipping that struck a chord.

Anna 06-19-2015 07:05 AM

I agree with the other comments. Stay home, get yourself together today and make a plan for recovery.

Zaec 06-19-2015 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 5428832)
I look back and my drinking was kind of like an elastic band that I stretched and stretched until ...it broke.

I'm not going to give you any tips on disguising your breath - thats not what this site is for, man.

But I will give you some advice.

Draw up a recovery plan before the elastic band snaps and your private drinking becomes very very public.

Here's a good start:
https://store.samhsa.gov/shin/conten...0/SMA-3720.pdf

D

Thank you for this link Dee. It's actually great OP, try it.

gettingsmarter 06-19-2015 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by feren (Post 5428867)
Is the smell of drinking that bad? I have to go back to work. I know all about sweating out of pores etc but I have no choice. Too much pressure. Will shower and chew gum. Duck's sake.

feren I can smell the alcohol on someones breath and don't have to be close to them. Stay home.

Debbie329 06-19-2015 07:33 AM

I wouldn't go back to work either........there are only two things everyone has to do and 1 is negotiable .........die and pay taxes.......I hope you stayed home.

Hawk07 06-19-2015 07:36 AM

There is no way to mask the smell...I always thought I was being so sneaky by drinking only vodka but no matter what you do people know.
I agree with others, you should take this day as an opportunity to kick start a plan to get sober. I don't know about you but I was just as much of a disaster waiting to happen when I was withdrawing and hungover as I was drunk. Be safe. People get food poisoning or the stomach flu all the time ;)

Boxer 06-19-2015 07:50 AM

We think we are slick but don't realize how easy it is for "normies" to sniff it out. Like GettingSmarter said, now I can smell it without being too close to someone. You should " come down with a virus" and work out a plan if sobriety is what you want.

zjw 06-19-2015 07:57 AM

i had some golden rules about my drinking. no drinking on the job. no showing up to work drunk and no matter how much i drank the night before i could not simply call in sick over a hangover I felt I should tough it out as it was my fault i felt that way. no drinking till 5pm etc.. no randomly drinking through out the day there was drinking time and then there was ordinary time. You dont just wake up and crack a beer at 3am or 7am or have one with lunch that sorta thing.

in the end one by one i started to break all those rules. I new there might be an issue at that point.

I gues you gotta ask yourself how bad do you want to allow this go get? how far are you willing to go for your drink?

gaffo 06-19-2015 08:04 AM

Hi Feren,

I used to drink strong heavy beer and the fierce hangovers just became a part of my daily routine. I'm still unpacking what a drain on life they were, just a criminal waste of time and energy. After almost four years sober I still wake up every morning and give thanks that I feel good. It is one of my strongest tools for staying sober. I know that wine is the same way.

I'm still not sure who noticed the smell of beer, besides my wife when I came to bed. Maybe no one. I took a shower and brushed my teeth every morning. If I had to guess I bet it's recovering alcoholics and cops who notice that sort of thing. I can smell it for sure. There are ways to tell approximately how much alcohol is still in your system--XXX pound man drinks XX drinks in XX hours=XXBAC. It's frightening math. The same is true with those personal breathalyzers. If you're hungover, you're probably still drunk.

One of the scariest things to me about my drinking was that it seemed to have an evil personality, not me drunk, the drinking itself. It would get mad when I tried to cut back or moderate and that's when I would get the worst hangovers and the black outs. It was so powerful, I thought I would never beat it but I did, and you can too. It's hard but it is so worth it. Remember, it does get better. The cravings pass. Put that monster in a box and throw away the key!

feren 06-19-2015 09:50 AM

Thanks for replies guys..but not turning up is worse