Notices

Drunk at work

Old 06-19-2015, 09:53 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I just reread your post gaffo thanks.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:34 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Let us know how you are after work. I will be anxious to hear how everything went. I hope your day goes smoothly.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:44 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Feren, when I read all this, my first line concern wasn't only about being potentially caught today, but that if you go to work intoxicated again and especially if you get away with it, you are conditioning yourself for more similar incidents in the future. I think it's irresponsible and depending on your work, also dangerous to do it under the influence. And believe me, you won't get away with it all the time. I would also vote for staying home and doing some serious soul searching regarding how you want to proceed with your life.

I went to work intoxicated I think twice years ago, both times on weekends when most people were not around, but I still did stuff in that condition. For me personally, it scared the crap out of me and I never repeated it again. Instead, I did things that were not any better: not showing up at work many many times due to deciding to drink or hangovers. I'm still grateful to whatever fears held me back from drinking before or on the job though, since it's a job that I love and value very highly. I would have been devastated losing it. Just some food for thought.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:24 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Thanks all for your helpful, personal and inciteful comments. I went back to work then left and made up an excuse re the meal. I reckon they guessed I was drunk before re smell but at least damage limitation. Thing is I didn't even feel drunk in fact was better at my job.. * Alcoholic thinking
Old 06-19-2015, 12:31 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Time to turn a corner, alcohol it seems is doing you no favours.

I really needed to draw a line and stop letting it affect all aspects of my life, the stress of worrying ate away at me for years, would someone smell it at work, would I get pulled over driving etc

Life since I parted ways with alcohol has been looking up ever since!!
Old 06-19-2015, 01:51 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I would call in sick as well, you don't want to chance it.
Old 06-19-2015, 02:04 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Well thank goodness, it looks like a disaster averted so moving on and moving forward: what is your plan?
Old 06-19-2015, 03:41 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Fired = worse than not going

I'm surprised I never got caught, or confronted because I knew I reeked of alcohol. I got to the point where I'd go home at lunch and have a couple of glasses of wine. I do NOT miss those days.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:22 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Adventurer

The reason you felt normal is because your addicted, your body needs the booze to feel okay. Same thing happens to abusers of other drugs. You only feel worse while not using, this is a giant red flag to stop now.

Once your through the withdrawals it will all start to feel better but that is no easy task.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:27 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Ok you made it through this....I made it through plenty of times till I didn't. Hopefully you have the weekend off and can focus on what you need to do to ensure it doesn't happen again. I am only pushing you because I remember all too well what it's like to live that way and know how wonderful it is to not have to live that way anymore.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:38 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by feren View Post
Thanks for replies guys..but not turning up is worse
Hi feren, could yo elaborate on that? Being intoxicated at your place of employment is bad news. I can't even think of a positive outcome of any sort showing up drunk. I just fired a guy this morning due to his alcohol issues.
Some companies are very understanding and will support you in getting professional help, if you have that option, maybe give it some serious consideration.
I don't ency the pickle your in at the moment, but I do wish you the very best. Keep us posted.
Old 06-19-2015, 06:48 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi feren. Never feel embarrassed for telling us what's going on. We've all been there in one way or another. I ended up drinking at work at the end of my drinking career. I had lost all control. The only thing left for me was to stop all together. I was becoming unpredictable and putting myself (& others) in danger. I don't miss that horrible time.

Keep talking to us feren. Things are going to get much better - you can get your life back.
Old 06-19-2015, 09:11 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I'm glad you made it thru Feren. You never have to go thru that again if you don't want to. We are a team here on SR. We can do this! :-)
Old 06-19-2015, 09:26 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thanks for helping me stay sober. Your post reminds me of what i never want to go back to and I'm so very grateful thst I'm sober! Im about to go smash some watermelon!
Old 06-19-2015, 11:11 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Haha smash some watermelon! Love that line. Thanks all for comments. It's 7.10 am and yes I am hungover but thankfully I have a free weekend, the ideal time to plan my s.r. 😊
Old 06-19-2015, 11:50 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Ok so I'm getting bad withdrawals already..I'm sure this has been asked before so apologies for being lazy and not searching threads..Anyone have any tips to curb them? Food ideas? No way can I draw a 'plan' today. Will try gym later. Thanks.
Old 06-20-2015, 12:01 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Administrator

Depends on what bad means. If you're getting really bad withdrawals, the ER is probably the best place for you.

If it's not that bad, there are some experiences here that may help:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

I get you don't feel great but don't use that as an excuse to put off working on a plan - you need one...and now, when you feel least like drinking, is a great time to start.

This is a good start, and it's not a hard read, I promise:

https://store.samhsa.gov/shin/conten...0/SMA-3720.pdf

D
Old 06-20-2015, 12:14 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Dee74;5430136]Depends on what bad means. If you're getting really bad withdrawals, the ER is probably the best place for you.

If it's not that bad, there are some experiences here that may help:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

I get you don't feel great but don't use that as an excuse to put off working on a plan - you need one...and now, when you feel least like drinking, is a great time to start.

This is a good start, and it's not a hard read, I promise:

https://store.samhsa.gov/shin/conten...0/SMA-3720.pdf

Thanks D, it's not that bad just a bit shaky. Yesterdays antics have to be my turning point. Looking at links. Cheers ☺
Old 06-20-2015, 07:22 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Wishing you a safe and sober weekend, feren.
Old 06-20-2015, 07:37 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Thanks Casey, you too.