SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Drunk at work (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/369928-drunk-work.html)

thomas11 06-19-2015 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by feren (Post 5429089)
Thanks for replies guys..but not turning up is worse

Hi feren, could yo elaborate on that? Being intoxicated at your place of employment is bad news. I can't even think of a positive outcome of any sort showing up drunk. I just fired a guy this morning due to his alcohol issues.
Some companies are very understanding and will support you in getting professional help, if you have that option, maybe give it some serious consideration.
I don't ency the pickle your in at the moment, but I do wish you the very best. Keep us posted.

Hevyn 06-19-2015 06:48 PM

Hi feren. Never feel embarrassed for telling us what's going on. We've all been there in one way or another. I ended up drinking at work at the end of my drinking career. I had lost all control. The only thing left for me was to stop all together. I was becoming unpredictable and putting myself (& others) in danger. I don't miss that horrible time.

Keep talking to us feren. Things are going to get much better - you can get your life back.

Serenidad 06-19-2015 09:11 PM

I'm glad you made it thru Feren. You never have to go thru that again if you don't want to. We are a team here on SR. We can do this! :-)

SoberLife90 06-19-2015 09:26 PM

Thanks for helping me stay sober. Your post reminds me of what i never want to go back to and I'm so very grateful thst I'm sober! Im about to go smash some watermelon!

feren 06-19-2015 11:11 PM

Haha smash some watermelon! Love that line. Thanks all for comments. It's 7.10 am and yes I am hungover but thankfully I have a free weekend, the ideal time to plan my s.r. 😊

feren 06-19-2015 11:50 PM

Ok so I'm getting bad withdrawals already..I'm sure this has been asked before so apologies for being lazy and not searching threads..Anyone have any tips to curb them? Food ideas? No way can I draw a 'plan' today. Will try gym later. Thanks.

Dee74 06-20-2015 12:01 AM

Depends on what bad means. If you're getting really bad withdrawals, the ER is probably the best place for you.

If it's not that bad, there are some experiences here that may help:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

I get you don't feel great but don't use that as an excuse to put off working on a plan - you need one...and now, when you feel least like drinking, is a great time to start.

This is a good start, and it's not a hard read, I promise:

https://store.samhsa.gov/shin/conten...0/SMA-3720.pdf

D

feren 06-20-2015 12:14 AM

[QUOTE=Dee74;5430136]Depends on what bad means. If you're getting really bad withdrawals, the ER is probably the best place for you.

If it's not that bad, there are some experiences here that may help:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

I get you don't feel great but don't use that as an excuse to put off working on a plan - you need one...and now, when you feel least like drinking, is a great time to start.

This is a good start, and it's not a hard read, I promise:

https://store.samhsa.gov/shin/conten...0/SMA-3720.pdf

Thanks D, it's not that bad just a bit shaky. Yesterdays antics have to be my turning point. Looking at links. Cheers ☺

CaseyW 06-20-2015 07:22 AM

Wishing you a safe and sober weekend, feren.

feren 06-20-2015 07:37 AM

Thanks Casey, you too.

PurpleKnight 06-20-2015 08:51 AM

You can do this Feren!! Hang in there!! :)

feren 06-20-2015 09:30 AM

Thankyou Purpleknight. I am getting shaky randomly atm, I cannot remember well much but certainly a Sat eve whereby I wasn't either out out or in getting hammered. I've already read some great advice on here including from yourself :)

feren 06-20-2015 09:32 AM

Jesus just rereading that garbled msg scared me! I do have chubby fingers for an i phone tho hehe

wehav2day 06-20-2015 09:51 AM

Spend the whole dang day on here if it helps! Read, post, read some more.

I agree with dee, the best time to make a plan is when you feel like crap. Once you get through the toughest couple of days, it's easy to say "I'm not that bad" and go right back to drinking. I've done it a bunch of times. But if you stay stopped, you'll never have to go through this withdrawal again.

feren 06-20-2015 10:14 AM

Yes. Thankyou :) I did cardio at the gym earlier which helped.

sva777 06-20-2015 10:34 AM

It's amazing you made it to the gym, I wanted to crawl into a hole and die the first 3 days. I was so worried if I would get the DTs.

Once you pass 5 days or so you will start feeling better, 10 days even more so. Like it was said though don't fool yourself and drink again. It gets harder every time we do that.

thomas11 06-20-2015 06:51 PM

Hi feren, I'll state the obvious first, great job on not drinking more. Regarding withdrawals, if its bad, a visit to medical professionals is not a bad idea. Bad is very subjective though. Once the mind and body are clear and back to normal, appreciate how great it feels and that you don't have to go through it again. Keep on truckin'.

learningagain 06-20-2015 06:57 PM

Congrats on keeping going! It does get easier. I gave myself a month of "if the only thing I do is not drink, I have done ok", now on day 11 I am actually out and about, and have probably done more and got more odd jobs finished in those 11 days than I managed in several months of drunk me!

feren 06-20-2015 07:26 PM

Thanks guys I can't sleep but at least I will enjoy Sunday for once.

Della1968 06-20-2015 07:32 PM

I hope you have a wonderful Sunday. I struggled with sleep a lot at first. Melatonin and Sleepytime Tea helped a little :)

feren 06-20-2015 07:37 PM

Not sure what sleepytime tea is..haha! But thanks Della :)

Della1968 06-20-2015 07:41 PM

You may not have it depending on where you live. It's a tea with chamomile.

dwtbd 06-20-2015 07:44 PM

There is a whole big Internet to google, lol fun sometimes to see where a random searching and clicking end up. Maybe a book lying around you never had time for, reading into the wee hours makes me sleepy. You're doing great , just keep it up, you got this rooting for ya. It gets easier , just stick with it, even if yer ass starts to fall off, it won't , be even if it does :)

feren 06-20-2015 07:45 PM

Ok cool, I'm not a tea drinker tbh. I'll try excersising early eve tommorow night which should help to calm me down.

biminiblue 06-21-2015 05:35 AM

I wasn't a tea drinker either, until the anxiety of early sobriety hit.

Hang on, you'll make it.

Don't drink today. Just make it through today, go to bed sober. Good job, feren.

learningagain 06-21-2015 06:11 AM

I am still having sleep issues...I sleep fine once I fall asleep, but it is very elusive. I went to the library yesterday and grabbed some books - ended up reading until 1am last night, woke up at 7am, and feel fine - certainly better than I did when I drank myself to sleep! My body has had several years of alcohol as a sleep aide, and just needs a little while to figure out how to get by without it.

feren 06-21-2015 06:39 AM

Thanks for the replies, this site and the encouragement and knowing others have gone through/ are going through these problems really helps as my drinking had gotten so bad I have basically managed to almost isolate myself socially for now. When I do sleep I have quite horrific nightmares but I'm sure that's my sober brain freaking out! Duvet day today watching game of thrones seems like I'm the only person who's never seen it before. Or did I and I forgot *rolls eyes* ;)

Soberwolf 06-21-2015 08:04 AM

Feren your doing exellent :c014:

Ps the nightmares will fade i suffered trust me it will improve glad you found SR bud

feren 06-21-2015 08:07 AM

Cheers dude

mje124 06-21-2015 08:15 AM

feren you're doing great just keep going - followed you're thread and been there myself more than once but you will be fine

Mike