Notices

I like the high too much still

Old 06-19-2015, 06:21 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I was so afraid of missing out on things when I quit. It had once been so much fun - but that was long ago. I knew I could never recapture the early days - when I was able to use willpower. I had gone from a social drinker to being dependent. It was really hard to admit that, and it took me a long time. I did so much damage just trying to moderate. I completely understand your reluctance, Scared - but the fun drinking days are gone & they're not coming back.

I'm really glad you're posting and talking this over. We understand like no one else can.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:18 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Scared.......I keep writing the same thing......it wasn't till I started taking medication that I was really able to stop drinking for any length of time......and this is all wi the last 6 months. I'm still trying to quit......but I feel much better because of the medication so I can focus getting back on the horse sooner and for longer when I fall off. Don't despair.......if you keep trying to quit sooner or later you will be successful......it's the law of large numbers......can you tell I'm an insurance broker lol.......but honestly that's how I look at it .........it's all about perseverance.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:44 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Scared1234 View Post
That scares me alot. The thought that the drink could kill me. Why do I play Roulette with my life? Is some stupid buzz really worth it?
Those are questions only you can answer.

I'm confident you'll make the right decisions. Otherwise you would not be here.
Old 06-20-2015, 02:32 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I want to drink but I hate it so much.
I know exactly what you mean.

For 20 years I wanted to stop wanting alcohol. I kept hoping/thinking one day I would wake up and my burning desire for alcohol would be gone. Miracled away in the middle of the night. That lightning bolt never came...

...until I starved it.

Peace of mind will come, but only if you stop feeding your addiction.
Old 06-20-2015, 03:17 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I can't quit and I think I've just about giving up spending all day and night thinking/fighting/stressing about my binge drinking. I'm going to just not think about it. If I drink I drink. If I don't drink today, well whatever, I'll probably drink tomorrow. It's not like my will power will ever do anything so screw it! It's easier to just not f****** care and do whatever you want. Getting drunk feels too good still and I am still willing to fight the hangovers the next day..

Sorry to everyone here...you are all too good for me. I honestly don't deserve to be on a site like this. <3 to you all!
It sounds to me that if anyone is interested in saving you from yourself, that you need some tough love. Not sympathy. But maybe that's "the problem solving male" in me rather than the "soothing, enabling and nurturing" comments I'm seeing here. I personally think you would be better off trying to stop drinking before you hit rock bottom....because the further you go down the harder it is to come back up.

Alcohol is a bully and it will bully you into submission until you get tough and stand up to it. Perceiving yourself to be hapless and powerless to its influence and seeking solace from other victims of the bully won't help you a tiny bit. There's no easy and pleasant way to give up alcohol, it's just a thing you've got to roll up your sleeves and get done. You can't be coddled through it with touchy feelies from others, it comes down to a strength you have got to find in you !

I know this may sound harsh, but if all some people are using this forum for is to help themselves feel better and comforted about not achieving their goals (a goal to stop poisoning yourself) then this forum isn't helping them. Sometimes a good dose of shame and self berating isn't low self esteem....it's just good common sense.