Notices

Still the Weekender Sober Thread June 18...

Old 06-21-2015, 11:24 AM
  # 401 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

There is a thread currently that brings me right back. So I went and read some of my early posts. Boy was I a sad puppy. Guess it's good to have the pain memorialized as it is here. One day I hope that person will look back at the post and feel similarly. I hope they will get and stay sober. Every moment matters. Every.
Old 06-21-2015, 11:33 AM
  # 402 (permalink)  

Happy Sunday Sober Enders!!!!

I am feeling lazy today as well. I will get the minimal of chores done. My zombie thumb makes it hard to do anything too productive.

Learning, quitting smoking is hard. I have done it hundreds of times. It finally stuck a few years ago. I wish you the best.

Ok, back to chores.....
Old 06-21-2015, 12:18 PM
  # 403 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
There is a thread currently that brings me right back. So I went and read some of my early posts. Boy was I a sad puppy. Guess it's good to have the pain memorialized as it is here. One day I hope that person will look back at the post and feel similarly. I hope they will get and stay sober. Every moment matters. Every.
It is also good to have your inspiration memorialized. You have quite a number of posts that are thoughtful and helpful and profound.
You've come a long way, baby!
Old 06-21-2015, 12:25 PM
  # 404 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Home, showered and almost human again.

I would not say quitting smoking is easy but it was a lot easier than quitting booze. After a while you don't have to try. Also there are tablets and things, subject to doctors orders. Lastly it is not possible to smoke in any public places anymore, which is a help. It did take me a few goes to quit permanently and I had to not drink alcohol for a couple of months, but that was back in '87 before I was an alcoholic
Old 06-21-2015, 12:58 PM
  # 405 (permalink)  

LOL, ArtFriend Funny stuff indeed.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:16 PM
  # 406 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Home, showered and almost human again.

I would not say quitting smoking is easy but it was a lot easier than quitting booze. After a while you don't have to try. Also there are tablets and things, subject to doctors orders. Lastly it is not possible to smoke in any public places anymore, which is a help. It did take me a few goes to quit permanently and I had to not drink alcohol for a couple of months, but that was back in '87 before I was an alcoholic
I have quit smoking numerous times too. I have twice given up smoking and drinking. Once was a health kick, and I really was only drinking periodically and stopped only cos I went low carb, that was over 10 years ago. Then I stopped both for 3 weeks in January this year, but had no real plan, so both came back the moment I had an excuse.

Giving up drinking at this point is essential as it was affecting my life extremely negatively and turning me into a hermit. Giving up smoking is more about long term health. I find the cravings for smoking are more demanding of attention, but once you get over them it is easier to stay stopped because it is so frowned upon, whereas not drinking is easier initially, but is EVERYWHERE so harder to keep away from, and involves far more "training" and "rewiring" in order to stick to it.
Old 06-21-2015, 01:38 PM
  # 407 (permalink)  

Today wasn't a bad day.

Went a Father's Day walk in the forest with my dad and sister. Then we visited my Grandfather's grave and had a coffee and a dessert in the local village.

I'm back at my Grandmother's now. Work tomorrow.

You know what makes me sick? When my Gran tells me: "you have a wonderful mother".

It makes my blood boil after everything she put me through. But I decided to hold my tongue.
Old 06-21-2015, 02:27 PM
  # 408 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Happy Sober Sunday, everyone!

Grilled burgers, etc. for the family / Father's Day celebration. No booze in sight thank goodness.

Still had to excuse myself and check in here for a moment....feeling a little overwhelmed today, and not really sure why. Let it go, let it go....
Old 06-21-2015, 03:11 PM
  # 409 (permalink)  

Hi Folks.
A lite day here. Sprayed something for the broadleaf weeds that won't go away. They are taking over the lawn. Hopefully weed-b-gone works. These things are brutal and seem to be runners. Don't know where they came from but they might be here to stay unless I torch the entire lawn, dig it up and start over.

Made a couple of great burgers on the grill and also grilled cauliflower - big thick slices washed with olive oil and salt and peppered. Very good! The usual salad...

Settling in for a movie or something. wife is studying. Sky turned bright blue and it was breezy. Spent the whole day outside and did the minimum. And that's okay.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
great legsfrog.jpg (87.4 KB, 40 views)
Old 06-21-2015, 03:51 PM
  # 410 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Kinda slow around here today!

Heading to lay in bed again. Just that kind of day!

See you all in the AM.
Old 06-21-2015, 03:57 PM
  # 411 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by learningagain View Post
Thinking today may be the day I try and quit smoking, have spent all morning hacking up a lung...bought lots of healthy food, some multivitamins, stopped drinking, and it seems a little ridiculous to keep smoking (especially as an asthmatic). However, the thought of giving up cigs absolutely terrifies me, I have some nicotine gum...hmmm procrastinating on this one.
I quit smoking cigs by "vaping". There's actually a thread on SR called "sober vapers" that discusses this. I was super skeptical at first, but vaping was a great replacement for me. Gradually, I cut down on both strength and nicotine levels. No coughing, no bad smell, etc. Again I didn't think it would work but sure enough it did! Look into it.

Just napped here. Been feeling a bit ill the past 24 hours, I ate some 5-alarm spicy salsa yesterday and have been paying for it. Still, it beats the hell out of being hungover. My goals for the weekend were to go to the plant nursery, work on my side porch garden, get up to the mountains, and have some social time. Check, check, check!

Was outside all weekend, so I've earned my Sunday nap and couch time, plus I have some TV shows to catch up on the rest of the afternoon. A healthy chicken stir fry will be a good dinner. Took advantage of the fabulous weather down here and prepping for a productive week at work.

No drinking. No guilt. No drama.
Old 06-21-2015, 03:59 PM
  # 412 (permalink)  

Lazy day. Read. Made a roast dinner. Lit a fire. Put on Blues Brothers. 35 years old, but timeless. Mrs B had never seen it. Going to read now. Enjoy the rest of your Sundays.

B
Old 06-21-2015, 04:01 PM
  # 413 (permalink)  
EndGame

See you all in the AM.
I hope all is well, Weasel. My only concern is that, well, you're always up to something.
Old 06-21-2015, 04:12 PM
  # 414 (permalink)  

See you all in the AM.
Sounds like my day. I got up long enough to see my dad for a few hours. Now I am back in bed. Hope you are ok and just having a day. Xoxo
Old 06-21-2015, 04:14 PM
  # 415 (permalink)  

Glad I am not the only one not doing a lot. Did go for my daily hike, tried a new park and it was far hillier than expected, so sure I will be feeling it in the morning! Not had a cig since I posted earlier considering quitting. Will see how it goes...
Old 06-21-2015, 04:23 PM
  # 416 (permalink)  

Your burgers and roast sound so good. I had a garden burger on an English muffin and baked beans. Gonna be craving meat soon.
Weasel, I've been lying around all afternoon also. Sometimes it just feels good to do that on a Sunday. I took a long nap, watched a movie, and read some magazines. It's 100° outside so I have no intention of going out. I didn't sleep that great in my tent, but it sure was cooler in the mountains.
Congratulations to everyone who is quitting smoking. That was one of the most difficult things I ever did. The patch helped when I did it the last time 11 years ago.
Learningagain...alcohol made me a hermit also. I thought I was drinking because I had such a boring life. My lif was boring because I preferred to stay home alone with my wine. Now that I don't drink, I do all sorts of fun stuff.
ruby, how was your birthday party?
Old 06-21-2015, 04:26 PM
  # 417 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by happyandfree View Post
Learningagain...alcohol made me a hermit also. I thought I was drinking because I had such a boring life. My lif was boring because I preferred to stay home alone with my wine. Now that I don't drink, I do all sorts of fun stuff.
I am beginning to see the truth in this. Definitely was the way I felt, now I am slowly crawling out from my cave I am realizing it was alcohol that had me hidden from the world!
Old 06-21-2015, 04:43 PM
  # 418 (permalink)  

Had a really strong craving yesterday. One that I haven't had since I knocked it off 34 days ago. Had a great day working on my truck and doing a complicated repair to the fuel injection. Worked like a charm. After I cleaned myself up it came on and wouldn't leave.

I sat for an hour battling the mind. I mean really battling. What saved me was thinking it through. 1 beer wouldn't do it. Neither would 2. It would be a six pack and a pint of bourbon. I thought to myself "where is the benefit? would you be happy doing it? Would it satisfy you? Is it really a reward Is there any payoff? Would it weaken future resistance? How would you feel about it the next day?"

After going through those questions it really helped me. I knew staying sober yesterday was the only play that would reward me. Make me feel good. Help me remain strong going forward. It was the only choice that made any sense. I got through it.

Today? Piece of cake. Weird. No AV. No temptation. Smooth as silk. Big learning experience. Whew!
Old 06-21-2015, 04:52 PM
  # 419 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Sounds like y'all had a good weekend.
Old 06-21-2015, 05:00 PM
  # 420 (permalink)  

Misterchill, glad you got through that. I hate when that happens but you did it.

Lazy day for me. I drove out to my grandfather's house to visit and met my parents there. Left kids at home. Went for burgers and am stuffed. Bought a carton of cigarettes because the are half the price I pay here. Some day, I will quit. It seems scarier to me than the alcohol. My last unhealthy vice. Well, ice cream.

I don't feel like doing anything this first day of summer. I work in the morning. Everyone else is off.

Maybe I'll plant my basil before it's compost worthy.