Notices

Still the Weekender Sober Thread June 18...

Old 06-18-2015, 05:55 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Congrats CaseyW!!!!!!! How do you feel these days?
Thanks. Feeling very good. Getting settled into my new job. Started attending some AA meetings again over the last couple of weeks as well, though as of right now SR is still my main support system. Nice to wake up early feeling refreshed. Nice to go to bed at night content and not filled with regrets.

Drinking is just not a viable option for me today. I've been working hard this time on accepting the idea that I simply do not have to take that first drink no matter what. It's such a simple but yet almost unbelievable concept.
Old 06-18-2015, 05:59 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

It's A Wrap ~

Inked a Contract on this City House last night electronically by PC. Gotta love this Technology Guano! ~$40k over Asking Price in 6 days. Insane activity at our 3 hour Open House last Saturday, according to the Neighbors. Up to 6 Couples in the House at one time. 9 Offers to buy, with most well over Asking. That's what it takes to get Skin in the Game around here right now. No Prescription Drugs - or anything else - were stolen from the Joint during Open House, as we had been warned about later.

The next Owner also met our 'Specs' re: a Good Karma Candidate. A Shrink/Counselor Gal flying Solo with 2 Rescue Dogs who loves this large, fenced Yard, and Doggy Door. She was willing to beat any Offer, and did; save one. The Couple w/Daughter who put in the high Bid got all P.O.ed when told there might be a Bidding War. Likely frustrated and tired at night when notified of this probability, they yanked their Bid, rather than leave it. Their loss. Their Daughter would carry on this exemplary School District; a stated Goal of theirs. All 4 serious Bidders submitted Personal Letters; the new Rule in this Game. The hot-headed Folks could have left the Renter's Market had they not gotten pissy, and over-reacted. 'I showed me!', as one of my sayings goes... I like our Dog-owning Buyer better anyhoo; even though I 'left' $12k on the Table going with her Bid vs. The Pissy People. C'est la vie. I especially like her $80k Cash Down Payment. The 'best' Deal is the one that Closes.

I forked out for my own exhaustive House Inspection Report; put on line in order to avoid any 'gotchas'. The Buyer didn't care about needing a new Furnace after 28 years on the current one, nor about a few thousand $$ req'd for some other minutiae. That put another $6k in our Pockets. Some of the Inspection conclusions were flatAzz wrong, but the imperfect World continues to rotate somehow. My last Boss in the Corporate World sure could go and 'rotate' for all I care, but that's another Story.

My strategy of pricing this Joint low in this incendiary Market to create 'buzz', and have Folks 'slingshot' their Offers way above Asking, seems to have worked. It was no big deal living 'Hotel Clean', but it's nice to get back to our natural state of being optional Slobs.

I'm whippin' on the place to address lil niggling details you don't care about when you live in a Joint. This will allow this Single Gal to put the Key in the Door after Closing, and Love Life. Since we can bolt anytime to W. Colorado, a fast Closing gets her out of her Condo without the imminent problem of putting her stuff in Storage for a month.

This interesting Funk Tune popped into my Head this monin'. Here's what 'Shotgun' actually looks like...

- 'Aint Nobody' ~ Chaka Kahn + Rufus -
-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Jed Clampett.jpg (45.4 KB, 67 views)
Old 06-18-2015, 06:00 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Congratulations sao...
sorry, della, maybe next time.
Good morning eveyone!
It looks like a beautiful day. Ruby, your house will be so clean and nice for the party. I like having people over because it makes me really clean. Which is why I don't have people over often.
ok...time to get moving. I'm grateful I didn't drink yesterday. ..Grateful I don't have to go through the pain and suffering today.
Have a wonderful day! See you all later.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:13 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Interesting to hear bowling as a topic. I just heard the news that the old local bowling alley near my childhood home is closing. My buddy's family owned the joint, and me and a few guys in High School used to spend almost every summer evening there. Since my friend also worked there, we'd show up around closing time, wait 'til the doors were locked to the public, and then bowl all night as my friend and his brothers shut down the lanes. No alcohol involved, that was just pure fun. Hearing that the alley was closing down brought back lots of memories from more innocent days.

I suppose I'm thinking of "home" more because I'm going back to visit my family in the States in 3 weeks. I am picturing those warm summer nights that I fondly remember, and will be experiencing them again soon. Back during my drinking days, trips home to see family meant that I would have to alter my drinking habits. That was a real cramp in my style and I was always antsy. Today I am free of that crutch, and I can enjoy some relaxing cookouts and time with my niece and nephew, without that overwhelming fixation hanging over my head! Huzzah for summer!
Old 06-18-2015, 06:27 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

In for another sober weekend with the gang. Feel like it should be friday.
Old 06-18-2015, 06:30 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

23 skidoo - whatever that means

A lot happening already, MesaMan.... congrats on selling so quickly. Good job name! That was from a corporate list of 'sayings' for supervisors to tell their subordinates. A long list of compliments etc. "Good job name!" was one of our favorites. The guys used this one for years, saying, "Good job name" to each other when they done good.

I am reminded of the time about 20 yrs ago a group of guys rented a van for a trip to a baseball game. I volunteered to be designated driver. I drank as much or more than anyone else but still was in better shape to drive (you know it) than anyone else. It took me three times as much to get drunk as the thought process goes.
Slept in today. Actually must have caught up on sleep for the past few weeks of no sleep. Left grill lid open and it rained most of the night - wife reminded me first thing this morning. "Bad job name," I think is what she meant. After dinner last night I headed to couch with dish of ice cream to watch Jack Ryan recruit movie. Fell asleep half way through, woke up at 430 on the couch and went to bed. Slept until 830. A solid 11 hours of sleep.
We needed the rain and I have a lot more to do outside - NATCH!

I have a lot to inside as well. I have a lot to do. Work-work-work...
no rest for the weary...

I saw these guys in 1977 at the Tower in Philly (Upper Darby - okay)
Tom Petty & Heartbreakers was unknown opening band.

They looked a bit younger then...
Old 06-18-2015, 06:32 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Good morning! Maybe I'll hit page one. This staying up late and cleaning is running me down. Yawn!!!

My cats are courteous and don't wake me up that early. Yet.

Behan, what a positive message. Have fun. I'm not a big bowler. I always seem to rip my thumb nail off when I release my ball.

Three days until this party. I'm going to be stressing out. It'll all work out though. Always has. I just don't entertain very often anymore.

But now, I must get ready for work. I shall see you all later
Old 06-18-2015, 06:44 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Riddle me this....

What does post #16 and post #27 have in common?

Our dearest of dear.... Miss Ruby's personal time machine!
Old 06-18-2015, 06:54 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Looks like Ruby has her thang set on "Delayed Double Post" or something. Get some sleep girl!

I've been awake a 400 AM since I returned from the east. Not today.

This is one of two albums I have saved to my jeep, the other is a bill monroe collection. Every time I hear this tune I feel better. Like life is just wonderful better. I'm not positive who it is, but it looks like a young Allison Krauss on the cover of this album.

Whenever you feel blue over the weekend, come back and play this tune very loudly... It should fix you up right quick.

Old 06-18-2015, 06:56 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I just saw that I'm repeating myself. Sorry about that. Stupid phone posts. It times out and when I hit the refresh button it must have posted what was still on the screen.

Sky just opened with torrential rains. Just in time to drench the multitudes gathering for the Blackhawk victory parade. I'm at work so will be missing all that.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:02 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Seems like the topic is nostalgia today. BigS, that's always bittersweet when a place associated with happy memories closes.

Oops. It's showtime, folks! Gotta go until later.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:06 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I've been to the Tower Theatre, LBrain! I saw Weather Report there.

Rush is my middle son's absolute favorite band. He came up here to see them at the Jiffy Lube Live pavilion on May 30.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:37 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Well I'll jump on the nostalgia theme. Today's feel good song of the day for me has been Frampton's 'Baby I Love Your Way'.

I have no idea why....I was nine when it was released. But it just feels right today!
Old 06-18-2015, 07:39 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

MesaMan - congrats on the sale! Sounds like you made the right decisions in getting the sale done, that open house appears to have been da bomb. And in the end you had the final say on your buyer, very fitting buyer you've selected! Do you and the Mrs. plan to live up in the mountain house permanently? Was that the plan all along there?
Old 06-18-2015, 07:44 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Rush, huh? If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice. Free Will. That one always sticks in my head. Former husband was a huge Rush fan.

Casey, you sound really good. I primarily use SR for support but do attend AA meetings. I've met two women who provide face to face support.

Speaking of support, just thinking of you all makes me calmer about the party. I'm making a list. The house will be clean. I'll pull it off. I always do. I won't be as fancy with the food this year but it'll work out. Even when I was drinking I managed all but one birthday which we had at an alternate location. Birthdays are important.
Old 06-18-2015, 07:55 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hi everyone 3am Friday.. My little ones have colds and shivers so up and down during the night. Hate seeing little sick, it confuses them but that's what cuddles are for.

Had a kids birthday party recently, made egg sandwiches and sausages rolls, pot of tea for the adults. Retro party food, and went down a treat.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:05 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

It seems like a wet day is in store for us. I'm good with it. Going through papers and just plucked mando for almost an hour - note to self: Finish practice room!

I got to thinking. Is it going to be too hot to fish for trout on the Chattahoochee in July? And how easy is the access between rt 20 and the Medlock Bridge section? Should I bring a kayak? Or is it wadable?
If anyone has any info on this (Trach) let me know.
Thanks.

While cleaning/going through papers I am coming across gift cards and partially used gift cards - I can't stand gift cards. But the wife has a collection of $150 for target.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:11 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Making a fuss over kids birthdays is very important. Good for you, ruby.
brain...the bluegrass is great.
I'm trying to get organized for our camping trip. have a little while before work. I hope I can fit everything in my little car. Along with the 3 dogs. ....
Old 06-18-2015, 08:21 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

BS ~

The Mountain House is also on the Market. Good fun up there since '96, but House #2 outta 3 is too far away for us to get back to from out West. Before the House up there, we had a few Acres with an inherited 'Tuff Shed'. I slammed in a Murphy Bed I designed with just enough Room underneath for Golden Retriever #3. Good fun!

Despite my prodigious Drinking, House #3 got designed and built p/t over the last 12 years after Early Retirement. Lived in an 'Airstream'-type Trailer on site; a considerable step-up after Life in a borrowed Tent Trailer. Got to know the Weather; how the Rain flows; what the Wind does; etc..

Yep, this was Da Plan all along. Property Taxes drop by 75% for a House on 80 Acres of Mesa-top vs. this City House. No mo ~$150/month Water Bill in the Summer [Well]. No mo Sewer Bill [Septic]. We cut something like ~$300-/month off the top just by moving out West. Looks like Nowhere Colorado in this Pic, but all Services you'd need are 20 minutes away down our ~2,000'-long Driveway. On-Grid, though Solar.

Nice to have made it through the Worm Hole to now be able to Love Life Sober. Highly recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Sunset South_3_crop.jpg (70.8 KB, 50 views)
Old 06-18-2015, 08:41 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Trees, I hope your little ones feel better soon. Kisses and cuddles work wonders. They must be quite young.

Rain let up here. I'm hoping that it won't rain Saturday. Last year I bought tempera paint and let the girls draw all over the side of my garage in the yard. Not doing that this year but have to figure out some games. I have a piņata. Have to buy candy.

Was thinking egg race if it's not raining. Maybe chalk for hopscotch? Actually, my mom has a bean bag toss. Party is only three hours.