Notices

Still the Weekender Sober Thread June 18...

Old 06-20-2015, 03:28 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Enjoying coffee here too. I have just lost a 'stare out' competition with my neighbours cat.

Off to buy some bedding, there is a place selling 700 thread cotton duvet sets for £30, a bargain. Hope they have some decent colours
Old 06-20-2015, 04:34 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

I'm on!!!

I had a few drinks last night and I am not happy with myself today. I let the stress of a long busy week overwhelm me. Should have just came right on here but I took the easy way and I am pissed!

I don't know why summertime is so challenging for me when it comes to drinking but it is really taking all I've got mentally to battle these urges.
Old 06-20-2015, 05:20 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
If you enjoy Cosmos, have you seen "Connections" or "The Day The Universe Changed" with James Burke? You may enjoy them. And your mention of Cosmos reminded ms of them. Funny and informative. History of science things, put together in an interesting and unique way.
I'll check them out. Thanks.

Happy sober hangover free morning everyone.
Old 06-20-2015, 05:21 AM
  # 224 (permalink)  

Morning Having a lovely coffee this rainy morning, watching my cats attack each other - there are two of them, I am only a starter on the crazy cat lady road (for Christmas my son wanted 98 black cats, so we could have a hundred black cats - he was disappointed Santa did not agree!).

I had a horrible dream and woke up super early, so dusting myself off and realizing my ex is not here, and will not be! Once it dries up I am going to dust off the bike and see if the saying that you never forget is true!
Old 06-20-2015, 05:32 AM
  # 225 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Originally Posted by mns1 View Post
I'm on!!!

I had a few drinks last night and I am not happy with myself today. I let the stress of a long busy week overwhelm me. Should have just came right on here but I took the easy way and I am pissed!

I don't know why summertime is so challenging for me when it comes to drinking but it is really taking all I've got mentally to battle these urges.
I admire that you come right back. Folks said that to me way back when and I did not get it. You will as much as I do now.

Good to see you!
Old 06-20-2015, 05:34 AM
  # 226 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by learningagain View Post
Morning Having a lovely coffee this rainy morning, watching my cats attack each other - there are two of them, I am only a starter on the crazy cat lady road (for Christmas my son wanted 98 black cats, so we could have a hundred black cats - he was disappointed Santa did not agree!).

I had a horrible dream and woke up super early, so dusting myself off and realizing my ex is not here, and will not be! Once it dries up I am going to dust off the bike and see if the saying that you never forget is true!
HA HA... Had a black cat named Spooky... inherited and soon passed him along.

Welcome to SR and the weekender!!!

(crazy cat ladies welcome also!)
Old 06-20-2015, 05:36 AM
  # 227 (permalink)  

welp... no gym. laid in bed. could not really justify getting up. up now. out the door for breakfast and pride day. festival food. odd people. funny clothes. woo hoo! :|
Old 06-20-2015, 05:36 AM
  # 228 (permalink)  

Mec ~

Been to Orkney. THEE best! For that Trip, we rented a 'Caravan' - Class C Motorhome to us U.S.-ians - and tooled around for a week. An easy Rental outta Greenock by Glascow. Drove it on the Ferry, and enjoyed a pounding ride through a modest Storm up the North Sea to Orkney.

Twilight all night after a ~22:30 hrs Sunset. Folks can start a round of Golf at 21:00 hours, and finish up in Twilight.

We'd pull up to a Camping 'Pitch', and orient the huge RV Window to the Sea. Hit the local Shops for Supplies - or 'Safeway' Stores for basics - and listen to the Beeb over a late Dinner. We didn't plug in, so we could pitch on remote Sites. Brought back a perfect set of huge Scallop Shells nabbed at low Tide, and use them still for Sushi Plates, or horse doovers [phonetic pronunciation].

Besides 'Stonehenge' type Rings you can walk right up to, Skara Brae was stunning. A Neolithic Site built from local flat Rock. In Tree-less Orkney, the Roofs were Animal Hides stretched over Logs washed onshore from Canada. Amazing place.

Scapa Flow was pivotal in WW II. Radio and Telegraph Operators could spot German War Assets headed for Mainland U.K., and give warning . An old Radio Museum I had to go to in some Gent's Barn told the WW II Radio Story, and he had some fabulous old Collectibles. Entry is by Donation on the Honor System, of course.

Given the recent riff here by LBrain on Sea Glass, see the Orkney Story take on that linked below. There's nothing between Orkney and Canada, so the Orkney Beaches provide some of thee best Beach Combing ever!

As we hung out on the RV Site built on the grounds of an old Fish Cannery on the outskirts of Kirkwall, a Boat docked. In these large Bins, they were unloading massive Crabs just caught. Dinner Plate diameter. We bagged two for Dinner for a $ Song, and I figgered out how to steam them in Foil in the RV Oven. We cracked them open on the Picnic Table with Rocks like the opening Ape Scene in '2001: A Space Odyssey'. A functional Tribute to my likely Neolithic Ancestors.

Fabulous, fabulous, and and even more fabulous...

- Skara Brae Website -

- Skara Brae Pictures -

- Scapa Flow Pictures -

- Wiki On Orkney -

- Orkney Sea Glass Competition -
Old 06-20-2015, 05:50 AM
  # 229 (permalink)  

I love black cats. I have 3 cats so I am well on my way to crazy cat lady status. Have a great day all! Let's be careful out there
Old 06-20-2015, 05:55 AM
  # 230 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I think I know more cat ladies than most.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:01 AM
  # 231 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Della1968 View Post
I love black cats. I have 3 cats so I am well on my way to crazy cat lady status. Have a great day all! Let's be careful out there
I took my son to the APL for his birthday back in 2013 - he had been talking for months about wanting a "tiger kitty", so I fully expected to leave with a tabby - the APL was full and offering free adoptions, so plenty to pick from. He immediately singled out the black kitten! I asked him about a tiger kitty, but he was steadfast - he found his little soulmate! They are peas in a pod, she sleeps with him, wakes him in the morning and they follow each other all day. When he goes to his dad's she gets some of his stuffed animals and carries them around!

The other cat was a donation from a friend! She is mine!
Old 06-20-2015, 06:13 AM
  # 232 (permalink)  

Awwww They are considered good luck overseas. Mine all "followed" my daughter home when she was a teen. She now has her own place with a dog lolol.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:13 AM
  # 233 (permalink)  

wells, I don't have an hour or two to completely catch up on the thread...

lunar - you and me need to party! One thing fer sure, using the term "squeezed one off" says a lot about a person. Awesome shooting your mom in the butt oxe - think forest gump. Was that candy store just down the road from the candle store that had every imaginable scent available? I bet they even have gain scented candles.

Okay, was up early, vacuumed around the place and cleaned up the kitchen and started breakfast before the wife got home. Buckwheat pancakes with blueberries (of course) covered with sliced strawberries and drizzled with honey. YUMM ME! I had to yell at the wife - I really tore into her. As I was walking across the kitchen I spilled honey from my plate. So I yelled at her in case she ever did it.
Bimini - I watched a thing on Atlantis. And these knucklehead phd types are arguing over whether or not the Bimini road is man made or natural.
It goes along with, "I want to believe."

Okay, Gilmer you're up. Last night I watched NOAH. The one with Rustle Crow... You know the old saying, it wasn't as good as the book or whatever... ???

I was in and out watching this, I watched about half of it being generous if I must say. But I tried to stick with it and stay till the end. I'm curious how many people walked out on it. Not because of the "artistic freedom" taken by the director, but by the absolute, "WTF am I watching?" aspect of it.
I totally loved the rock monsters or whatever they were supposed to be - fallen angels. Yeah, and the creator entombed them in volcanic rock. But they didn't turn to the dark side, they kept on hoping for salvation...

Trust me, this is not a spoiler for the movie. The spoiler for me was wasting the couple hours I actually kept it rolling.

More work outside today. The couple days of rain we had got in the way of doing a few things but well worth it.

WELCOME ALL NEW TO THE WEEKENDER BUS RIDE!

And happy 24th birthday to someone a page or two back - I don't keep notes.
PK - perhaps you never heard of the RUNAWAYS? We had two of their albums. And yes, Joan Jett was one of the "gals".

okay I went back but didn't see who's birthday it is.

And Della, "I caught you a delicious bass." !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-20-2015, 06:21 AM
  # 234 (permalink)  

You rock my world You had me at pancakes.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:22 AM
  # 235 (permalink)  

VOTE FOR PEDRO!

Old 06-20-2015, 06:29 AM
  # 236 (permalink)  

Brain, I haven't seen Noah. From what I've heard, not only does it have very little to do with the Bible, but it's also just plain bad!

Now that you've corroborated all the evidence, I'll definitely cross it off the list!
Old 06-20-2015, 06:30 AM
  # 237 (permalink)  

"Tina, you fat lard!"
Old 06-20-2015, 06:33 AM
  # 238 (permalink)  

Somehow I read it, "Tina, you fart loud."
Old 06-20-2015, 06:44 AM
  # 239 (permalink)  

I've recently discovered I like donuts. So strange, all my life I've hated them. Very interesting.
Old 06-20-2015, 06:54 AM
  # 240 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Happy Saturday morning to everyone! Starting day 44 here. Work tonight, going to get some much-needed shopping done this morning. Wishing everyone a safe and sober Saturday!