Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

For anyone: Has your life improved since not drinking/using? And how so?

Notices

Old 06-17-2015, 02:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I know this sounds like the most general topic ever. But it's sort of the core of this site, and sometimes it can almost get lost within the various details we discuss. I'm interested in hearing from all people on here - obviously from those with an extended period (as you are my inspiration), but those with just a little bit of time as well. Basically, what has changed?
Old 06-17-2015, 02:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

4 1/2 months=Healthier thinking.

I was simply, very depressed, and now I'm not.
Old 06-17-2015, 02:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

In every possible way Scram

If I was still drinking I'd probably be in some dive somewhere, finishing off the dregs of last nights self destruction, wondering why my chair was wet...beer or...?

swallowing innumerable painkillers, counting the injuries from last night that I won't ever remember making, and counting the hours until I could stumble to the only liquor store that opens at 9.

I couldn't even look at myself in the mirror cos I might either smash the mirror or cry.

The difference is simple. I was existing, then...barely.

I'm living now - and I love it scram

D
Old 06-17-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Just hit a year

The world had become a melancholy, hateful, spiteful pitiful place to interact with anyone.......Wait, that was me!

You know the movie Pleasantville where the people become colorized as opposed to grey - then the whole town changes to deep, vibrant color!?!?

That's sobriety for me, today

I equate it also to the feeling scrooge had Christmas morning -" Good! I didn't miss it" = Life!
Old 06-17-2015, 03:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Where do I start:

-Clearer mind/thinking.
-More productive at work.
-No more painful hangovers in the morning.
-No more throwing up in the shower in the morning.
-Better dental routines.
-Lost weight due to less calories being consumed each day and less junk food due to drinking.
-No more fear of being pulled over and being over the limit when driving.
-No more anxiety over drunk texts/emails/phone calls from the night before.
-No more pains in parts of my body that used to scare me - liver, kidneys, pancreas.
-Regained control of my own life, rather than alcohol consuming my lifestyle.
-No more ridiculous thinking over disposing of empty bottles, rotating liquor stores, or have I enough alcohol stocked up in my house.
-My friends now are real friends, not just drinking buddies.
-When I go to an event, I'm not consumed with how little is in my glass.
-No more blackouts and not remembering most of my life as it passes me by.
-I have more hobbies now as I don't spend huge amounts of time either drinking or dealing with hangovers.
-My weekends are more productive as drinking isn't the centre of my weekend activities.
-I've read many books and seen movies that I've always promised to get around to.
-I'm saving money rather than wasting it, allowing me to work towards goals.
-I have a life I can now be proud of.
-I may still not grow into old age, but it's not gonna be alcohol that gets me in the end.
-I like myself more and more, something I never did.
-I feel emotions and feelings rather than drinking them away, a much healthier way to deal with life.
-I was letting opportunities in life simply pass me by.
-Life was merely coasting on autopilot, now I'm actually living my life.

. . . will I go on?!!
Old 06-17-2015, 03:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Increased blood flow south of the border.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It has improved in every way. I would not drink today if you paid me.

My depression and anxiety is nearly gone. I can make morning appointments without worry. I can drive anywhere at any time. I don't have crazy fights with my wife anymore. No planning the next drink or worrying about hiding my drinking. No more wasted days where I drink and pass out for hours on end. I'm not nearly as cynical as I used to be and I find myself actually being nice to people. I've lost a ton of weight and even bought a gym for my house- working out never appealed to me before because I was so unhealthy.

Everything is better and I live with much less fear about almost everything. I don't worry about police and I don't worry about my boss finding out about the "real me".

I could go on but you get the picture...
Old 06-17-2015, 03:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My family are beginning to trust me again.
Old 06-17-2015, 03:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I only have 30 days but I can say the best thing is how I feel in the morning, I am able to get up and don't feel sluggish or foggy. I have also lost weight, I guess cutting a bottle of wine a day out of your diet is an instant weight loss!:-)
Old 06-17-2015, 04:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

While drinking I had nothing...i was barely existing living at my parents house returning bottles to the store to buy dollar tall boys...

Now that I'm sober I still do live with my parents...but I'm not that old! 24. But...

Relationships with my family have never been better. Once one of my friends seen I was serious about getting sober he got me a job were he worked. Eventually I proved a year sobriety to the state of Michigan and got my restricted license back and got a vehicle. Most importantly I myself have changed. When i was drinking my brain was dumbed down to nothing. I had no knowledge of anything other than drugs and alcohol. Now I can feel things...I have emotions...I have self knowledge of my alcoholism and drug addiction. I am loving and passionate about things and love staying sober.

I never thought I would get sober. I remember saying once "I'll stop doing drugs when they stop making me feel good". Well what got me into rehab was I was so broke I couldn't afford my drugs or alcohol so I needed them to take me off one or another. Well the treatment center took me off both. Here I am almost 2 years sober!
Old 06-17-2015, 04:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Just under two months.

I am not a constant daily liar and hiding what I do.

I am dealing with life's curve balls and learning they pass and I grow as a result. As a drunk, I drowned them. They didn't go anywhere, in fact problems grew in size and severity.

Highs are actually higher, but in different ways. Lows are no where near as low. I can easily say my worst days today don't come close to my worst days as a drunk.

But the number one factor for me, is I AM ME. Like me, or hate me and move on. There's no fake me, no lying me, just ME.

I'll be honest with ya...I kinda like me. I know I can love me and I will love me. I still carry regrets and my memories of who I was and its still too fresh to ignore.

Thank you for the post. Gave me the opportunity to think about that. I'm nearly in tears of joy!!
Old 06-17-2015, 04:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have 5.5 months of sobriety. I am growing from my experiences, emotionally and mentally, more than I would if I were drinking. I learn from my experiences better. I am less reactive to things other people do.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:16 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Increased blood flow south of the border.
Dude, that's funny... Made me laugh
Old 06-17-2015, 04:18 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Well, I quit buggering dwarfes.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

No longer having constant thoughts of suicide is enough for me!
Old 06-17-2015, 04:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I wake up happy, as opposed to waking up hating myself - again. And my happiness persists throughout the day. I take much better care of my dogs and cats, and that's a big one for me. My relationship with my kids has been repaired and is better than ever.

Over five years sober and I don't regret a minute of it.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It truly is almost a night and day difference. I still have a lot of turmoil in my life but that would exist whether I drink or don't drink.

I'm a better mother. I'm more present and available because I'm not rushing through everything and yelling at them because I want a drink.

I'm not passed out on the back porch or on the living room floor in the middle of the day.

I don't feel like I'm going to pass out from anxiety all the time, fearing walking and doing a face plant on concrete.

I eat my calories instead of drinking them.

When I say I'll be there, I'll be there and not call at the last minute with a lame excuse that I'm not feeling well.

I can think more clearly and focus.

I've only called in sick for myself once in two years. The two other times it was because my children were sick. No more emergency room visits for the anxiety due to withdrawal.

That's just the beginning. I've got 18 months.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:04 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Coming up on 3 years sober.

Three years ago I was in a hospital after suffering withdrawal seizures. I was sick both mentally and physically. I had horrible anxiety. I was unemployed, getting by on public assistance. I had alienated my friends, and everyone close to me was very worried.

After getting sober I started to be able to control the changes I wanted in my new life. I moved to a new country, and live up in the mountains. I have become fluent in Spanish. I have a great job, and can pay all my bills and have extra to spend on travel, flights, and even bought a truck. I am tan, lean, and physically healthy. My friendships and personal relationships have improved. I have control over my life. My family and friends are proud to know me. And I can see clearly enough to be proud to have them all at my side.

If you take my situation 3 years ago, and the compare it with my situation today, the improvements are amazing. Just three years...it doesn't take that long to get your life back, and then some. I think everyone (not just alcoholics) would see sharp gains in their lives by throwing alcohol to the curb.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:34 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TroyW View Post
No longer having constant thoughts of suicide is enough for me!
I second this ^
Old 06-17-2015, 05:41 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

^^^ bam! ^^^