Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

For anyone: Has your life improved since not drinking/using? And how so?

Notices

For anyone: Has your life improved since not drinking/using? And how so?

Old 06-18-2015, 12:02 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Ways my life has improved in nearly a year and a half of sobriety;

I am no longer in debt.

I have a couple months living expenses in my savings account (for the first time in... forever).

I am in a strong, respectful, symbiotic relationship with a lovely lady to whom I am now engaged.

I am a generally happier person.

I am a generally healthier person.

I am calmer, more self-confident.

My life is more organized.

My home is cleaner and more organized.

I am in better physical condition.

I sleep well each night (though this one took quite a while to settle in).

I am generally optimistic about life and its prospects.

I feel generally proud of my sobriety and see it (save for some bouts of thoughts of drinking that I work through) as something honorable and rare and unique and positive in the world.

I am better at my job.

I am more attentive to others' needs.

I am fully present in my children's lives.

I am always ready to help out - because I'm never drunk, never unable to drive, never off my game due to drinking.

I am living my life in a more genuine and authentic manner.

I remember my life more clearly.

I am more in tune with who I am.... and am more focused on ever-becoming more...

Old 06-18-2015, 02:27 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Inspirational posts here. Nothing I can add that hasn't been said already. Still a few uphill times for me just passing two months but I know enough not to want to go back!!!!
Old 06-18-2015, 08:15 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Pretty much in every measurable way. Finally found a job I love, and I put my all into it. Before I was always just doing enough to not get fired (until I did). And I discovered something, I am really good at what I do and take a lot of pride in it. Things are very bright for me professionally. Much closer with my family. My friends respect me more. And I met the love of my life. A year ago at this time I thought none of those things would ever be possible for me and that I would die very young and alone. Now I'm excited for the future and look forward to a long, healthy life.
Old 06-18-2015, 09:07 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I am happy. I always thought I was a fairly good-spirited person before I quit. I didn't realize how much alcohol was weighing me down. The anxiety, the guilt. I'm just under two months sober and I have felt happiness in a way I never have before. I feel lighter. I catch myself smiling and humming. I stopped to smell a flower on my walk home tonight and realized "I was stopping to smell the flowers."

I could not have conceived how am feeling now while I was drinking. To any of you who are struggling to quit, it is so unimaginably better on this side. The AV is wrong!
Old 06-18-2015, 10:28 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SwimKim12 View Post
I am happy. I always thought I was a fairly good-spirited person before I quit. I didn't realize how much alcohol was weighing me down. The anxiety, the guilt. I'm just under two months sober and I have felt happiness in a way I never have before. I feel lighter. I catch myself smiling and humming. I stopped to smell a flower on my walk home tonight and realized "I was stopping to smell the flowers." I could not have conceived how am feeling now while I was drinking. To any of you who are struggling to quit, it is so unimaginably better on this side. The AV is wrong!
I feel the same way. I meet knew how much I a weight, a burden, a darkness alcohol was until letting it go and experiencing sobriety.
Old 06-19-2015, 04:35 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Some great stuff posted, to much of which I can relate.
Coming up on 18 months here.

For me, the most important aspect of my life that has changed is that I am able to accept who I am. And also I am able to accept what happens to me whether within or beyond my control.

I suppose it's cliche', but living life on life's terms is a way to put it.

Mindfulness has helped tremendously with my learning how to live within myself and to the extremities of life. I have always treated everyone the same regardless of their place in life. It's silly because I don't believe in the supernatural, but I have always treated everyone as if I was being watched by a higher power and being tested. Or as I used to say, it could be Jesus in disguise. And I tried to live by the WWJD? mantra. Nothing wrong with that. But now that I am sober, I don't even think about it. I am who I am and not much different than before. However, now it doesn't take a conscious effort to be that guy. btw, I am not a religious person, I am an atheist. I believe in the golden rule.
Old 06-22-2015, 12:48 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
NAP

The biggest thing is that I no longer have this massive cloud of shame hanging over my head. I am actually starting to like myself, and care for myself...!
Old 06-22-2015, 07:42 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

130 days sober.

More active - exercising regularly and doing the serious hiking I always said I wanted to.

Fitter - down about 24 pounds.

Richer - about €1,000 better off.

Better - at work I'm clearer in my thinking and have more energy and tolerance

Better - in my relationships all round

Stronger - in my belief I can do this and many other things

Happier - I really am and am quite surprised to realise I wasn't as happy as I thought I was

And of course less shame, less guilt, less self-loathing.

The other responses are amazing.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:05 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Beautiful

Originally Posted by SoberHoopsFan View Post
Pretty much in every measurable way. Finally found a job I love, and I put my all into it. Before I was always just doing enough to not get fired (until I did). And I discovered something, I am really good at what I do and take a lot of pride in it. Things are very bright for me professionally. Much closer with my family. My friends respect me more. And I met the love of my life. A year ago at this time I thought none of those things would ever be possible for me and that I would die very young and alone. Now I'm excited for the future and look forward to a long, healthy life.
Old 04-22-2016, 10:10 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

I feel good coming up on 6 years sober.
Old 05-03-2016, 05:30 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Just over a year sober after over 25 years. Never felt better. Literally never.