Notices

I got a referral but now I am spooked

Old 06-18-2015, 01:57 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Do your best

I agree Strat you are awesome
Old 06-18-2015, 06:56 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I've never been a great man for those type of compliments but I trust that you guys know your stuff in this domain.

(unlike the young dudes who would be off their nut when I used to dj occasionally and I'd be thinking GTFO skyboys!)

Solid advice Thomas exactly what I will do. My path has never been more clear and to me there is nothing else. Lads
Old 06-28-2015, 07:29 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Here's an update mate

OK, so that was 2 weeks ago and I haven't heard anything since. Is that normal? Cheers
Old 06-28-2015, 10:00 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Referrals can take a little time, but it does no harm to ring your referring Dr and ask whats going on

D
Old 06-28-2015, 10:03 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I got a referral letter which I brought to the main health place and they said they would be in touch, thats why I am asking. Ok, will do.
Old 06-29-2015, 01:40 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Good luck Stratman! Maybe wouldn't hurt to drop a dime and just see how the process is going.
Old 06-29-2015, 02:15 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Cheers. I didn't ring today, was too busy talking to myself but I might tomorrow.
Old 06-29-2015, 03:57 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Mine took about a month to be fully set up, ready to go.
I'm in the UK.
I did a telephone session and face to face session to see what type of counselling I needed.

Its okay.
Give them a ring to check, but try relax if you can.

Maybe its a bit of nerves that are making you restless, but it will be okay and I am sure it will be worth the wait.

Wishing you the best xx
Old 07-08-2015, 07:49 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hey guys. I dropped that dime as it were today and made phonecall's.

I'l see what happens anyway. How bad can it be? My situation its bad.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:19 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Just had the appointment

Ok and so, I had the appointment today that I have been desperately clinging to hope for.

It was a non event. Wanted to know how many drink or drugs have I done? The answer is none, bar one drink this year (which I got scolded for)

And that was that! Bit confused here. Haven't slept in weeks, that was my whole point but.
Old 07-16-2015, 05:59 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Do your best

Strat i had to wait 9 weeks for a apt i had yesterday it was question after question that ive already answered but its procedure

Keep at it, this wont be overnight it wasnt a non event they have to evaluate whats best to help you

A non event would be you doing nothing

The event you just mentioned was good your taking action thier evaluating & if you keep at it you will get help

i understand its frustrating but bare with it
Old 07-16-2015, 06:38 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Frustrating? It's a bit more than that I am a tortured soul and always have been.

Anyways. F' it. Little I can do now except get some rest, I haven't slept in 3 days.

I haven't got <10 hours sleep combined these past 3 weeksI told him that much.

What I made the appointment about was my dysfunctional family dynamics etc.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:18 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hi peeps. I spoke with a guy from the team the other day anyway for well over an hour.

I hadnt slept well but I just kinda blurted out a lot to him, well I got out a few things anyway.

What I've been dealing with on here about my abusive upbringing and the dysfunction in my family

Some stuff, bits and piece. I just needed soemone to talk to I have never spoke bout any of this irl
Old 07-27-2015, 12:57 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Good job. Strat, it usually takes a bit of time to build up the rapport and communication with therapists/counselors, and if they are good at what they do, they pay attention to what may work with a particular person. So don't expect anything earth scattering after a couple sessions, other than a sense how comfortable you are with them (but even that might change).

For example, when I had my first session with my current therapist, he spoke very little and asked very few questions. It bothered me somewhat but I knew enough about him and about his method to see this is part of the approach he likes to use, at least to start. One thing I like about him a lot is that he asks me often how I feel about the sessions and about what he is doing, and encourages me to tell him straight whatever. (The other therapist I was seeing before him did not like this much at all and kinda felt somewhat insecure talking about his side of the construct, which I was not very fond of.) I was very glad to hear this from the current one because I'm naturally inclined to do this with people that are comfortable with mutual feedback and we definitely operate that way now. I even told him in the second session how I like dialogue and interaction rather than just being listened to, and he immediately picked it up and did more. With time, it's become something like totally free speaking, sometimes systematic and linear, other times rambling in seemingly random ways (me, mostly, but he also surprises me with unexpected statements and observations sometimes, which I love). Another feature I absolutely love is discussing in great detail all sorts of thoughts and feelings that arise in response to the actual sessions and our interactions. I kinda developed a habit that when I sit down each session, I like to start with this because there is always a lot left over from last week and from my own processing between sessions. Then he asks questions, I ask questions, we discuss the whole thing, and then usually naturally shift to another topic -- either something current that occupies me and I want to address, or old stuff, and typically everything is interrelated in many different ways. And if I feel I'm stuck or lose my confidence, I say it. Also ask anything I can think of. All this is just an example in a very simplified way how I tend to do this. Do absolutely what comes naturally for you -- that is already important information for the professional you talk to, about you. If it's silence, then be it silence. If fragments, then fragments.

Good luck!
Old 07-27-2015, 01:09 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stratman1 View Post
I told her I wanted to get my blood results on the one hand (which were all normal, okay doke)
As someone who's blood work was anything but okay doke (at 30 years old), take it from me:

The body can come back from some pretty serious problems when you stop drinking alcohol. Completely, 100%, no slips, no alcohol.

If we continue drinking more than a doctor would recommend, our health issues will continue to get worse and we go to an early grave. Could be soon. Could be decades.

Your health will be fine, I'm sure, if you can remain abstinent from alcohol for the rest of your life.

I was a terrible hypochondriac when I was drinking because I knew how much damage I was doing to my body. You were so worried about her "Oh" because you are paranoid about your health just like I was. People who aren't paranoid would not have thought a thing of the "Oh."

The majority of alcohol-related health problems go away with complete, 100%, forever, abstinence from alcohol.
Old 07-27-2015, 01:17 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hey Strat,
Thanks for the update and its good to see you've done that! I think once I found someone irl to 'really' open up to I turned yet another corner in my recovery. Keep it up whether it be a therapist, friend, group therapy of some sort, sponsor etc it helps immensely. That combo'd with all the work you are doing here will make your recovery even stronger.

Aellyce,
As usual you drop another knowledge bomb! Great insight into therapy and where you can take it, instead of just leaving it to the therapist.

"I even told him in the second session how I like dialogue and interaction rather than just being listened to, and he immediately picked it up and did more."

I am going to use that next session if I feel it could be useful, I have felt the same way in counselling/therapy sessions but it never even occurred to me to just ask!

Hope your day is going well!
Old 08-02-2015, 05:04 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hi guys. Well it wasn't exactly a session per se, it was just a chat with the mental health nurse. I say just a chat, I basically blurted out a lot of stuff mostly in relation to my dysfunctional upbringing.

He touched on other points but thats what I was trying to get across (hadn't slept in a few days either mind). An hour would never cover it, it has taken me a quarter of century to arrive at my truth.