Notices

Moderating is killing me!

Old 06-16-2015, 09:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Moderating is killing me!

Hi friends,
Moderating doesn't work! Oh, you knew that already!?! Why didn't you tell me? Oh, you did? And I didn't listen? That makes more sense.
I'm having a hard time these days. Not awful... yet. But thought I should document how I'm feeling. I'll try and explain more tomorrow. I really want to be present here more. Trying on my own does.not.work.
~Pinot
Old 06-16-2015, 09:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hi PNM,

Welcome back! Soak up all the support you can. It is here for you. Sorry to read that you are having a rough go.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back Pinot. Is stopping completely your goal?
Old 06-16-2015, 09:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
Welcome back Pinot. Is stopping completely your goal?
Yes. Just haven't figured it out yet. It's weird, I could tell someone in my situation EXACTLY what to do, but I don't listen to myself. For a few years I wanted to learn to moderate. For the last few I think I've known that I CAN do it, but it hurts me more than helps me. I would give $1000.00 for someone to help me stop completely.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you decide to quit completely.

As hard as quitting altogether might be, I think it's a million times easier than trying to moderate.

D
Old 06-16-2015, 09:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I hope you decide to quit completely.

As hard as quitting altogether might be, I think it's a million times easier than trying to moderate.

D
I know. I think I've know for a long time but knowing and doing... totally different.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Moderating is exceptionally difficult. I too thought I could pull that off, "just 1" I'd say as I cozied up to a bar to work....6 hours and 12 drinks later I was stone sober, but my stomach was pickled. My only solution to moderation is not starting. I have conquered it a few times...I'd have 1 or 2 then I'd go the rest of the day twitching my thumbs, strung up on anxiety and stress just dying to have another drink...I took that "moderation" out on those around me (family, friends, and even my employees and customers)
Old 06-16-2015, 09:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I am always good at dishing out suggestions to other people too but until I was good and ready, didn't want to follow my own advice. Stubborn that way. Hurts me no end because I think I give pretty sound ideas. What worked best for me was the good old one day at a time. Just for today, I won't drink.

Good luck. I found my sorry attempts at moderating to be the most anxiety ridden times of my life.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:54 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Yeah I gave up on moderating.....for me it's all or nothing. Mostly nothing but sometimes I go off the deep end.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
I am always good at dishing out suggestions to other people too but until I was good and ready, didn't want to follow my own advice. Stubborn that way. Hurts me no end because I think I give pretty sound ideas. What worked best for me was the good old one day at a time. Just for today, I won't drink.

Good luck. I found my sorry attempts at moderating to be the most anxiety ridden times of my life.
Ruby2, yup! I hear ya. Couldn't have said it better myself...the moderation is what caused chaos in my life, when full out drinking I kept a rather sane life (until of course I sobered up...then I realized how f'ed that life was)
Old 06-16-2015, 09:59 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
voices ca**y

Welcome back Pinot.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh yea...and I'm terrified of failing health. Even tonight, I noticed what I think is a new development of yellowing on the whites of my eyes...at 32 that scares the crap out of me.

Did the 35-50 drinks per week for so long kill my liver?

Those type of things are called reality checks...and yet they still don't stop the cravings...thus the moderating (and failure of such practice).
Old 06-16-2015, 10:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PinotNOmore View Post
I'm having a hard time these days. Not awful... yet.
Pinot I'm glad to see you back. I'm sorry that you are still vacillating on this, you know moderating is futile, you know you are on a slippery slope, you know what the tools are. Please don't wait to hit whatever your theoretical bottom is because a lot of people don't get out of there and you're missing out on the life you could have.

If I can do it you can too.
Old 06-16-2015, 11:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi Pinot, as a veteran failed moderator I found just stopping much more relaxing. I was sick of following the bottle around the table, wondering if I could squeeze in another drink, could I drive etc. Just really tiring.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Marcher13 View Post
you're missing out on the life you could have.
Love this, I'm going to write it down and post it in my kitchen.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:11 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Moderation always seemed a bit cruel and unusual to me. All in or all out is what suits me best!
Old 06-17-2015, 05:18 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by PinotNOmore View Post
I would give $1000.00 for someone to help me stop completely.
Save your money. You can quit drinking for free. Today. And you've been given plenty of advice on how to do it. You just have to take action.

Start by surrendering the idea that you can ever drink again. Even one.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I always said that I would chop off my right arm if it meant I could drink in moderation. I'd even add €1000 on top of that. It won't happen for either of us, we just have to STOP.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:15 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

When I hear about moderation I always have to remember: "It's easier to keep a lion in a cage than to keep a lion on a leash".

You can stop today. There is no secret (fortunately and unfortunately). You just stop and don't drink no matter what. It does get easier!
Old 06-17-2015, 06:25 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hi Pinot!! We are always great at giving advice and never taking our own! Just take one day at a time! If "I" can do it, anyone can! I never in my life thought I would be THIS in control and it's an amazing feeling! I'm so proud of myself! Believe me, you CAN do it!! <3