Notices

Young people AA meeting...

Old 06-16-2015, 06:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Young people AA meeting...

So in my area there are very very few young people in AA. An older gentleman and I are planning on starting ine. He isnt going to be sitting in it but is going to help me start it. We want the meeting to be open to not just alcoholics but to drug addicts as well. Many of the young people aren't just alcoholivs but drug addicts too. Anyhow i wanted some advice. What should i call it to make it more open to alkies and addicts? What do you think is the best day/time? I was thinking Friday or Saturday evening. Maybe 630 or 7. How should i advertise? I planned on going to probation officers, guidance centers, rehabs, maybe halfway houses and highschools. If you have any advice please give me it! Even if I didnt ask the question particularly please just chime in. Give me your 2 cents!

Thanks!
Old 06-16-2015, 06:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

In our area there is a published list of meetings.......I'd try to get on that list.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think it's a good idea. I'd go for the 6 to 7:00 time bracket although some people like super late meetings if it's at a time they would be out clubbing otherwise and need support.

That said, I'm not young but am newer in recovery. I'd want someone who's been around a bit to lend guidance. And the encouragement that this is a life long process and not "go to a few meetings and I'm cured" thing.

Good luck!
Old 06-16-2015, 09:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You could maybe contact icypaa and see if they have suggestions?
I think as long as it as an open meetings anyone (addicts) are welcome.
in my area we have lots of young people's meetings and everyone is welcome, including those over 35 but It was really nice to know that there were meetings for young folks to bond over the difficulties of being young and sober.
is there a university or junior college in your area? We had young peoples meetings there sometimes for easy access for students .
Old 06-16-2015, 10:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The young people's meeting in Cambridge UK is on Friday evening. Lots of them go out socially afterwards to grab food and chat. I think that's great as one of the things younger people struggle with is how to fill Friday / Saturday evenings so they don't feel like they're just staying in.

Could you prepare a survey and ask a few of the younger people who do go to the meetings you go to to complete it? And the older folk who might have some good ideas. (Those 'old timers' a your meetings were the 'young people' once so they could have some great ideas for you as well).

I've never seen a combined AA / NA meeting before. Is it worth putting this thread on the 12-step recover threads as well to get some feedback from them?
Old 06-16-2015, 10:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sure put it wherever you want. There are no young people who go to meetings around me.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

To be honest, at the Cambridge one I'd say there were about 20 people there altogether. Very few of them looked under mid-20s. The rest must have been split pretty much 50/50 between the 25 - 35 and 35 - 45 years old age brackets. (This in a city very heavily populated by students and young professionals).

On the plus side it did mean there were plenty of people there to help newcomers; act as sponsors; take on a bit of service; etc.