Notices

I have fallen hard!

Old 06-16-2015, 06:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have fallen hard!

for Dwayne Johnson....... come on girls!! That smile.... those arms.... that easy going nature..... Oh la la! Je t'aime

I would love some big strong safe man arms around me!
Old 06-16-2015, 07:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Bah forget you guys.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hey Zen

I have to hold my hand up here and gotta admit I'm a little over the joke 'I relapsed' threads like these.

I care about people, and there's those few moments of 'OH NOOOOOOO' that I really don't like experiencing....

I am glad you're in high spirits tho

D
Old 06-16-2015, 07:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey Dee, I suppose 112,571 posts will do that to a guy. I'm sure you have seen it all.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Oh, I don't think I'm jaded Jeff - I've always felt this way on this

I'm not slapping you down either Zen - I appreciate that my sense of humour or lack of it is not universal.

I was just explaining why I didn't respond before your second post
D
Old 06-16-2015, 07:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

While I'm glad it's a joke I understand where Dee is coming from too. I think it's important to remember we have a very diverse audience here.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm afraid to say......I don't know who Dwayne Johnson is.......must be a baseball player I surmise cause it's baseball season.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Relapse is something i NEVER joke about because it is NOT funny. I would never act like I relapsed or trick someone for an april fools day joke type of thing. I take mh sobriety seriously and joking that I am throwing my life away with people who love me is NOT a laughing matter.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Oh, you mean the Rock.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I don't get it...
Old 06-16-2015, 10:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Into the Void

Actor, professional wrestler, tough guy, beefcake...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwayne_Johnson
Old 06-17-2015, 04:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
EndGame

I don't mean to single you out either, zen, and I've brought this up a couple times before. Yours is only the most recent example of this kind of thread. I'm usually told that I should "lighten up," appreciate that alcoholism is so serious that a sense of humor is the best remedy, or that some people find such threads funny. There are other ways to express humor around alcoholism without recruiting the sympathies of others.

I think that one of the reasons that threads that begin with titles that suggest a relapse (or worse) are "funny" in the first place is because the consequences of a relapse are so dire, and that I'm eventually relieved to discover that the person is otherwise okay. I see someone slip on the ice and slam down on the concrete, and at other times in my life my first reaction might have been to laugh for a range of different reasons. On the heels of my laughter, I'm immediately concerned that the person may be hurt. I stopped laughing years ago.

The OP in a thread that's titled, "I stopped drinking!", that says, "But it isn't booze! It's coffee!" is the comedic first cousin of threads that suggest disaster in their titles, but such a thread would get very different responses. Though I'm relieved that the OP didn't relapse or hurt anyone, I can't deny that I am momentarily, and perhaps needlessly, concerned in ways that are emotionally disruptive for me. I also think that there'd be a much different dynamic were these kinds of messages to be delivered in person, or even on the phone.

I am not totally without a sense of humor, and though I get the idea, I have wondered whether or not it's worth it to "trick" people in this way. This is not a huge issue in my life, and I'm only caught up in it at the moment I read these "April Fools" threads and the few disturbing moments that follow. But those moments are disturbing. My life goes on with our without them, but having been fooled in this way previously on a much larger scale and on more than once occasion, I can do without that brief but intense moment when my heart sinks, and when I feel I've been set up to expect the worst.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

There are two sides to this kind of thread.

Some of us, also good and caring people, find them lighthearted and energizing and find the negativity towards the posters of this sort of thread discouraging and draining.

I suppose it is worth considering that every perspective will have supporters and detractors.
Old 06-17-2015, 04:59 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Quick someone else wade in to the labour the point that doesn't need to be made and make the opening poster feel even worse over a harmless 1 liner about fancying the rock.

Geez for such understanding people this place isn't half populated by people who love to drill into someone how wrong they are.

I'm outta here anyway, a bit tired of the preachy holier than thou attitude of some here.

Maybe Dee next time just sent a pm and shut the thread instead of letting people wade in and make an innocent person probably feel like ****.

We are sober, we are miserable, senses of humour at the door please, no laughter allowed.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I use the Cafe' Central Forum for fun
threads, Golf, things, still fun or humorus
for us to enjoy while in recovery.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:09 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

I get upset by the joke threads.

I hope the day when I or others can't express honest opinions here is a long way off.

send me a PM whenever you like if you want to nut this out further, MM.

D
Old 06-17-2015, 05:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

Originally Posted by MarathonMan View Post
Quick someone else wade in to the labour the point that doesn't need to be made and make the opening poster feel even worse over a harmless 1 liner about fancying the rock.

Geez for such understanding people this place isn't half populated by people who love to drill into someone how wrong they are.

I'm outta here anyway, a bit tired of the preachy holier than thou attitude of some here.

Maybe Dee next time just sent a pm and shut the thread instead of letting people wade in and make an innocent person probably feel like ****.

We are sober, we are miserable, senses of humour at the door please, no laughter allowed.
I'm sober, and I am nowhere NEAR miserable. I'm sorry that you are. Truly marathon. It sounds like you have a deep loathing for SR to which I would suggest you do move on if you find it so repulsive. No one should have to be subjected to something they find so offputting.

For the record, I've never seen the "holier than thou" attitude you refer to here. I HAVE seen people show me how I'm sabotaging myself by, for example, showing my words back to me to reread, or explaining how my thoughts and actions are helping to derail my progress. And yes, sometimes that stings but I'm tough, I can take it.

You sound like your struggling. Every single one of us struggles with this insidious addiction. I hope you find your peace wherever you may roam.

PS - I, too, am emotionally invested in my sisters and brothers here. I don't like the "I relapsed, just kidding" threads either. And I'm a comedian.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:25 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I personally don't feel disturbed by this kind of stuff more than I would if some sudden movement startled me for a second, but I appreciate that many clearly do. If people feel so strongly about it, why not perhaps make an SR rule for not joking about relapses in the recovery forums? Then the mods could always refer to those rules and warn the OP. And those that want to play could do it in the Cafe etc. Just an idea, I dunno.
Old 06-17-2015, 05:27 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I don't think the joke is the problem, the title is just misleading. I'm new here, and when I feel/felt "I can't get up" on my own I post something and I get a response from you good people in seconds...I don't take that for granted, I appreciate the support. We have to be mindful in how we send messages bc some of us are still in the early stages of sobriety and others are flirting with a relapse...just my two pennies. Checking in with SR daily is a life saver.
Literally.
Old 06-17-2015, 06:01 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Yeah so I was very drunk when I wrote my little fantasy about whether or not Dwayne Johnson lives up to his name the Rock..... yep it's true sometimes drunk people hang around these forums. Made for a crappy shift at work since I had to get up at 3:30 in the morning..... my only consolation was that the guy I work with is one seriously strange dude who wears a medical mask at all times and never speaks to me or make eye contact with me.

I guess the only thing I'm sorry about it bothering to come on here when I clearly have no intention of staying sober for any meaningful length of time.

I still want The Rock to come cuddle me..... now, really, more than ever.