Notices

If you are willing please share

Old 06-16-2015, 04:55 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

If you are willing please share

I am not sure I am posting this in the right forum, but I am on oxycodone
10-15mg every 3-4 hours, and 5 mgs valium at night to avoid night cramps in my legs. I believe I mentioned before, I'm worried about withdrawals. For anyone who has experienced opiate withdrawal, I am wondering if you could share your experience with me, and how long it lasted. Not sure I will experience them or not, but wondering what warning signs to look for. I will be on this schedule for at least another 6-8 weeks and it has been 3 weeks so far. Not looking for medical advice as it is not allowed. Thank you in advance. Have a great day everyone.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'd ask the doc about that. I was on benzos for over 20 years and needed to taper gradually but did successfully stop. Good luck!
Old 06-16-2015, 05:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Jeff

Have you been taking more than directed or finding the feeling they produce pleasurable? Or are you just worried because of the fear of addiction?

I have no personal experience to share - but if you're concerned about this, why not bring it up with your Dr?

D
Old 06-16-2015, 07:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Definatly talk to a dr Thomas
Old 06-16-2015, 10:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Checking in with a Dr would be a good idea, sadly I've no experience to share on this!!
Old 06-16-2015, 01:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi Jeff

Have you been taking more than directed or finding the feeling they produce pleasurable? Or are you just worried because of the fear of addiction?

I have no personal experience to share - but if you're concerned about this, why not bring it up with your Dr?

D
Hi Dee, I'm actually taking a tad less than prescribed, but I fear addiction. I have an addictive personality (big surprise). Essentially everyone's concern right now (The doctor, surgeon, etc...) is pain management. I discussed with my Dr. when she gave it to me and she said she would put me on a taper schedule when I get through enough of the process of healing and therapy. I read a post yesterday from someone who said they went through horrible withdrawals from morphine, it was prescribed for pain management not recreational. This came from an alcoholic, and it worried me. Thus the reason for my OP.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think a fear is good - certainly better than complacency.

Look, many people do run into problems - even those with no history of addiction, but the stories are mostly of long term use.

Not everyone runs into trouble. I've posted about it before - It's no secret I sometimes take codeine when nothing else works - I have for a few years now.

It's with my Drs say so, I never take more than recommended, usually much less - and more importantly - it's never done anything for me but deal with my pain. I get no pleasure from it, just a functional relief of the worst of my pain.

I'm not recommending codeine for you or anyone else - just saying that there are good stories too.

It's good you have a finite short term window here of 6-8 weeks and your Dr is aware of your concerns and is willing to set a taper schedule.

D
Old 06-16-2015, 08:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Last year I was prescribed Dilaudid for a month followed by a month of Vicodin after a serious bicycling accident, and I was also anxious about taking any opioid pain medication for eight weeks. I was able to plan and manage a taper on my own; in part, because I had a very healthy fear of becoming addicted. The fact that you're concerned about the abuse potential is a good thing but I wouldn't overthink it if you're in serious pain. Since you've been open about your concerns with your doctor and you don't appear to be overmedicating, it probably will be okay to follow your doctor's pain management plan for the time being. Just be vigilant. I also hope that you only have to be on them for six weeks instead of eight. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.