Notices

In and Out what keeps you going long term

Old 06-15-2015, 07:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

In and Out what keeps you going long term

Hey all, feel like many are here seeking self observation and quite frankly what makes us feel good from were we are at with sobriety and doing which is good I find my self in and out go weeks with out preferred drinking and others days on the bindge.. This is the hard part, I do control the consumption but not long term doing may be two weeks on and two weeks off. I seek to consciously stop which would be best, however my 20 years of doing auto makes this tough. So what gets you there inspiration Really just stopping for good the mind and soul, I believe in new habits so making one not drinking with the urge and or life style going away is hopeful. What has worked for long timers here simply time?
Old 06-15-2015, 07:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Making my sobriety a priority and being willing to do whatever it takes to achieve that has been necessary for me.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

For me it was acceptance of my addiction/alcoholism. I finally acknowledged that no matter what I did, I would never be able to "control" my drinking. No "cutting back" or any other form of moderation will ever work for me, and accepting was license start turning things around.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Knowledge of my certain doom if I drink again keeps me from picking up the first one. Funny, I'll "cheat" on lots of other stuff occasionally. Diets, workout plans, vows to schedule my homework for school, etc. This is because I know deep down that 100% adherence to perfection is not truly necessary to succeed. For example I'm a famous procrastinator when it comes to schoolwork but I always get it done and my greats are good. And if I skip a workout I hit it extra hard the next time- it only slows my progress a bit, it doesn't stop it.

But there is no such wiggle room with drinking. Long experience tells me that my first drink will inevitably lead to the second, and eventually the 20th. Nothing but ruin down that path.
Old 06-16-2015, 04:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi.
For me there were many factors. One was seeing too many end up dead for various reasons they wanted to continue to drink, good people. Next was having the miserable feeling of being sick and tired of being sick and tired and seeing I was headed in the direction of the above.

Things turned around when I started getting honest with myself about MY drinking and finally ACCEPTING the fact I could not drink in safety although that should have been noticed long ago. For me a big boost was I WANTED to stop drinking TODAY! Getting rid of the I’m going to, I will next week, after this week end and on and on.

With the help of the people in AA it’s good to say sobriety is very good when I practice the principals of the program and after a lot of years still go to meetings for memory refresh therapy.

BE WELL
Old 06-16-2015, 04:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had to get motivated to get my life back. I realized for years that I had a problem, but thought I was all alone until I found this community.

I finally found the courage and strength to take control of what I wanted. Each day that passes gives me a little more strength. With that being said, you can never let your guard down or get complacent. The moment you do, you are leaving an open door for relapse.

I love everything about being sober and hate everything about drinking. I came to realize that I was throwing away the only shot at my time with my family by drinking 24/7. I deserved more than that and I wasn't doing my job as a dad by instilling in my kids that drinking every waking moment is ok. I know that they will have to make these tough decisions when they get older. I don't want to be any part of helping them to choose drinking over a sober life. I'll never be able to get the 21 years back that I lost to drinking... but I have plenty more years in front of me as long as I stay sober today.

You've got the power to do this long term. Lean on us when you feel week or feel an urge coming on.

Stay strong.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Czorr http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 06-16-2015, 08:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

I am on 31 days, and I will tell you it gets better every day. I know already I will not go back.

Drinking daily for so long, I felt like I could only feel 'normal' if I drank. Total absolute B.S, it turns out. Sobriety is my new normal.

Moderation, or 'just one' never worked for me. I tried many times, for many years, to have just a glass or two of wine. It was exhausting and consumed too much of my time and thoughts. Complete abstinence is the only way for me.

SR has been my saving grace- I read as much of the posts as I can and learn from all of them. Stay Close!!!
Old 06-16-2015, 08:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

What keeps me sober is waking up feeling good and not hating myself like I used to do. I too got sick and tired of always being drunk or sick. Now I wake up feeling good and ready for the day.
Old 06-16-2015, 08:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I drank every day for twenty years except for two pregnancies. It was a hard habit to break. On autopilot. So much and so little thought put into it. Which sounds like it doesn't make sense but I never examined what I was doing and why. I just did, and planned my life around drinking. It took patience and practice and sheer tiredness and stubbornness to stop. I got tired of it. It was never going to get better. I had to accept that I would never be able to drink normally. You can do it, if you want it bad enough
Old 06-16-2015, 08:57 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Cutting back and on and off never worked at all for me and in fact it got worse for me. When you stop drinking completely, you will begin to see benefits in all parts of your life that will motivate you to continue.
Old 06-16-2015, 10:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Czorr!!
Old 06-17-2015, 03:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the positive responses and taking time to share your experiences. Being simply lazy has been a big factor for me not trying to make long term changes, and not having a good plan. I appreciate the support here and continue reading other related threads guess it's all in or nothing at this point!
Old 06-17-2015, 03:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

Acceptance and commitment worked for me czorr.

I had to accept finally that whenever I drank I'd end up in the same place sooner or later.

when you really accept that, it makes taking that first drink that much harder.

I committed myself to doing whatever it took for me not to pick up that first drink - and I still am committed to that

D